1. Stopped reading at "Unfortunately, the main thing they got from the vacation was this crappy song about the city."
  2. Originally posted by iTim:[..]
    Stopped reading at "Unfortunately, the main thing they got from the vacation was this crappy song about the city."
    The article really only trashed Miami ( which was always better live then on record ) and Playboy Mansion ( which is my all time least favorite u2 song)
    Calls " Please" possibly best song on album (which I agree)
  3. Originally posted by jasvan:[..]
    The article really only trashed Miami ( which was always better live then on record ) and Playboy Mansion ( which is my all time least favorite u2 song)
    Calls " Please" possibly best song on album (which I agree)
    It actually called the Miami live performance "about as lousy as the album version."

To be fair, the Vegas performance that they included wasn't quite the monster that the song would become later during that tour...when that guitar riff kicks in . Not my favorite song off of Pop but definitely a rocker live.

Also, I love The Playboy Mansion. I think this article sums up my reasons for loving it (as well as some love for Miami): https://www.atu2.com/news/the-unloved-songs-of-pop-miami-and-the-playboy-mansion.html
  4. I really don't understand all the fuss on Pop, an album with 12 excellent songs, way better than No Line with only half good songs, or All that you can't...come on, Miami live was incredible and in Popmart Lisbon U2 and the Pop album were in top form!
  5. Most who criticize Miami never heard it live, but yawyeh, grace, California (dull predictable rock tune) are for me average songs
  6. Originally posted by glima001:I really don't understand all the fuss on Pop, an album with 12 excellent songs, way better than No Line with only half good songs, or All that you can't...come on, Miami live was incredible and in Popmart Lisbon U2 and the Pop album were in top form!
    I think the main reason pop gets a lot of criticism is people find it hard to relate to. A lot of u2 songs lyrically have messages that can be interpreted quite easily in many different ways and that can be quite powerful. If you take stuck in a moment, beautiful day and walk on for example you could relate even they titles to aspects of our lives. Its no coincidence that all that you can't leave behind easily outsold pop. Btw I like pop so I'm not criticising it I'm just explaining why I think it isn't u2's most successful album and why songs like Miami and the playboy mansion get a particularly bad reputation.
  7. I think Pop is a brilliant album. I do not conform to the mainstream! Gone is my favourite U2 track.
  8. Originally posted by bpt3:[..]
    It actually called the Miami live performance "about as lousy as the album version."

To be fair, the Vegas performance that they included wasn't quite the monster that the song would become later during that tour...when that guitar riff kicks in . Not my favorite song off of Pop but definitely a rocker live.

Also, I love The Playboy Mansion. I think this article sums up my reasons for loving it (as well as some love for Miami): https://www.atu2.com/news/the-unloved-songs-of-pop-miami-and-the-playboy-mansion.html
    Funny, when I got Pop the day it came out, of course, Miami was the one I called a clunker. The Ba Ba Ba Buh Buh Buh Ba thing sounded like Judas Priest and the Beach Boys got in a fight nobody could win. Sounded so cheesy, and cringe worthy. Though that part still goes down a little uneasy for me, it is not as bad as it was that first day. The song itself is like a update on Bullet The Blue Sky, though the songs could not be any more different lyrically, the emotion and rage in Edge's guitar parts is simply wonderful, and they even did better live. That Rolling Stone writer is simply WRONG. lol. They are not allowed an opinion on Miami
  9. Originally posted by glima001:Most who criticize Miami never heard it live, but yawyeh, grace, California (dull predictable rock tune) are for me average songs
    Funny how we all differ on these songs. Yahweh I love, California, other than the painfully too long intro, I love. Grace, on the other hand, should have been on Rare Medium Rare Steak, or whatever that fanclub disc is called.
  10. Hmmmm.... I think both Yahweh and California are great in there own ways. Grace, however, is completely forgettable.
  11. Originally posted by glima001:Most who criticize Miami never heard it live, but yawyeh, grace, California (dull predictable rock tune) are for me average songs
    Doesn't change the fact that the album version is an absolutely awful song.
  12. Opinion. Not fact..