1. Voyager-1 has left our solar system

2. I read it yesterday. Something like 35 years after it was launched. 35 years. Surreal.
  3. Hopefully the little fella will continue to travel long after we have gone. 40,000 years until it encounters another star. That just blows the mind, thinking about how vast space is. When you think that it's taken just a short period of time to leave us, it now won't see anything noteworthy for so long.
  4. Neil McCormick ‏@neil_mccormick 17m
    NASA sent a probe beyond the solar system with less computing power than a mobile phone. & I can't pick up a signal in Crouch End.

hehe
  5. Originally posted by iTim:Hopefully the little fella will continue to travel long after we have gone. 40,000 years until it encounters another star. That just blows the mind, thinking about how vast space is. When you think that it's taken just a short period of time to leave us, it now won't see anything noteworthy for so long.

I think it will be hit by some lost asteroid and no one will ever know it, but it's still nice to think it can outlast us

Edit. Just read that it sends information (that takes around 19 hours to get to the Earth) with a 23 watts transmitter. Less than most of the bulbs we all have at home. Awesome.
  6. The UN has giving the advice that we (In The Netherlands) stop with celebrating Sinterklaas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas) because his ''helper'' Zwarte (Black) Piet is racism.....
    http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2013/10/zwarte_piet_is_a_throwback_to.php

Why, instead of focussing on real problems, do they give a crap about this? Its a holiday for children who love Zwarte Piet just as much as they love Sinterklaas.

I wonder why they worry about a thing like this, instead of banning burka's and other things which really oppress woman and other minorty groups in countries where people are really oppressed....

I just don't get it. Especially since in The Netherlands people have the same changes (ofcourse based on intelligence etc.) It doesn't matter if you are black, white, yellow, green or if you are a muslim, atheist etc.
  7. The UN have a long, extensive experience in doing and saying bullshit about insignificant problems, and then doing nothing about really important matters.
  8. Originally posted by LikeASong:The UN have a long, extensive experience in doing and saying bullshit about insignificant problems, and then doing nothing about really important matters.

So true.
  9. There are 2 things that annoy me the utmost in the Sinterklaas discussion (yes we're following this too as we also celebrate the good man) :

- As Bart & Sergio already said : why does the UN even bother ? It's like saying "Hmm, my house is on fire, but my kids are swearing. Better tell them not to swear ! Don't worry about the house."

- Why are black people / north africans so easily offended ? I guess it's the same in the Netherlands, but here in Belgium, as a white man, I can't say a single thing on the street without being called a racist. Eg comedians, they make jokes about everything. The pope, their wife, themselves... But tell a joke about Mohammed or draw a cartoon and your car is set on fire. Yeah quite the same level. I just don't get it anymore
  10. I don't understand why some people (especially some Muslims) are so easily offended, since The Netherlands is a multicultural country I've also met a lot of Turkish/Maroccan and black people. With most of them I get along just fine, they can take a joke and just joke back (The way it should be imo)

But like you said there are comedians and politicians who need to get security because they said something or made a joke about their religion or country. Its something I can't and will not try to understand, I think its just very very stupid.

Like I said there are a lot of guys and girls who aren't like that but for example a couple of weeks ago my brother was playing a game of football against a team with a lot of Turkish boys. Match was a bit heated and in the end there was a bit of a fight. Me, my dad and some other parents at the side of the field try to stop it by getting them away from each other. After that we were called rascists, why? I really have got no idea.

Some people just like to throw the ''rascism card'' when they are being stopped or corrected.