1. Originally posted by dieder:What if...they put out more early (I guess more meditative, like the rest of the album) versions of EBW and North Star on this instead of Crazy, GOYB and SUC...This album is such a piece of art except for these songs. I mean, they're not exceptional bad songs in concept, there are great melodies in these songs but they don't fit in.
    Would certainly help. I'd replace Magnificent with Winter too.
  2. Just to continue the comment I made 4 days ago, I listened to this track again last night, and saw a comment in the youtube "video" that it was about PTSD. How the hell did I miss that? This song just reached another level for me...

Why the HELL didn't they include this on the album? Someone in the same comment section said it's because U2 didn't think it matched the rest of the album, but I find that hard to believe...man Linear is fantastic and I'll watch that instead of listening to this album again lol. I think it has a better tracklist and a better running order.
  3. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:Just to continue the comment I made 4 days ago, I listened to this track again last night, and saw a comment in the youtube "video" that it was about PTSD. How the hell did I miss that? This song just reached another level for me...

Why the HELL didn't they include this on the album? Someone in the same comment section said it's because U2 didn't think it matched the rest of the album, but I find that hard to believe...man Linear is fantastic and I'll watch that instead of listening to this album again lol. I think it has a better tracklist and a better running order.
    Which one do you like more, Linear version of the soundtrack version?
  4. Winter is one of their best millenial songs (and I actually love this period).
  5. Cedars of Lebanon, most underrated song on the album.
  6. Cedars has its fans around here, me included. For me most underrated song is White as Snow. Slowly building up to a great finale. Powerful lyrics. I think Bono writing from the point of view of these characters in NLOTH really worked wonders. I miss those lyrics.
  7. I really really like NLOTH. Cedars of Lebanon is one of my favourite of all U2 songs, and White As Snow is another choice cut from the album. It's really a pretty edgy record in a lot of ways.
  8. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:[..]
    Cedars has its fans around here, me included. For me most underrated song is White as Snow. Slowly building up to a great finale. Powerful lyrics. I think Bono writing from the point of view of these characters in NLOTH really worked wonders. I miss those lyrics.
    Yeah, White As Snow was my favourite when it just came out, and I was 100% sure that they would play it live
  9. I can imagine White As Snow live, it'd be a real tearjerker moment for me. Same for Cedars - I think it'd have to be a little stripped back from all the sampling things in the background, maybe a droney guitar like Velvet Dress live. Return... the call... to home... that'd give me shivers for sure.
  10. I realized recently how the 4 first songs of NLOTH could've been some of U2's best work in their career if they had been released as a small EP. That EP would be held in very, very high regard.

It would work perfectly too, I always felt that the album is divided in two sections. The end of Unknown Caller, beginning of Crazy tonight marks that devide. In those four first songs, we get the kicky but sonically interesting opener, the anthem song, a surprising dive into a beautiful dark melody, and some sort of powerful sonic awakening with Unknown Caller, that comes to a perfect light-headed outro.

Anyway that's how I see it
  11. Originally posted by Sev00:I realized recently how the 4 first songs of NLOTH could've been some of U2's best work in their career if they had been released as a small EP. That EP would be held in very, very high regard.

It would work perfectly too, I always felt that the album is divided in two sections. The end of Unknown Caller, beginning of Crazy tonight marks that devide. In those four first songs, we get the kicky but sonically interesting opener, the anthem song, a surprising dive into a beautiful dark melody, and some sort of powerful sonic awakening with Unknown Caller, that comes to a perfect light-headed outro.

Anyway that's how I see it
    That's a really good point. NLOTH has always felt in some way like EP formats would've suited the material better.
  12. Linear version is better IMO, and I agree with everything being said here.

NLOTH is a small group of interesting songs mixed with a small group of bad ones that are the sound of U2 chickening out, and it's really a shame. It could've been labelled as an interesting album for a band like U2 to make so far into their career, but that line of thought was chased off by songs like Boots, Stand Up Comedy, Crazy Tonight, and Magnificent. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind two of those songs, but they're still U2 trying too hard. Cedars, White as Snow, Winter, MOS, Fez, these songs are the sound of U2 really WRITING. Putting an effort in to try something new. What other songs in their entire career sound like these? Maybe drowning man? Not even really that. You gotta wonder if the comments of "this is another moment like achtung baby" that they were making at the time were when the album was more like Linear, maybe had something like an early every breaking wave on it, etc. But then they realized "shit this album isn't catchy at all, and we have a tour to play" and went and wrote boots, crazy, magnificent, etc.

It's too bad.