1. Largely agree with above summation. They lost their nerve. Big time. It's a shame that they couldn't have taken a leaf out of REM's book circa Automatic for the People. Not having to tour an album could have given them such genuine creative freedom.

2. Not in a stadium, must likely not even in an arena. In a pub it'd be great.

I think those lyrics were interesting, but -imho- I feel like the fact they weren't "personal" made them not feel too attached to those songs.

---

Also... I have a problem with people bundling Crazy Tonight with SUC/Boots.
    I fail to see what they do have in common, sonically, lyrically or even qualitatively... I think Crazy Tonight is great and would fit nice in most U2 albums (*hides* ); on the other hand, while I've grown to enjoy and even like Boots/SUC, they sort of fit on a sides B compilation.
  3. The only album Crazy Tonight belongs on is The Worst of U2. A career low.
  4. Let's disagree completely and enjoy the rest of the album, then.
  5. Of course. Agreeing to disagree is becoming an essential element to enjoying U2 fan community life these days. ?
  6. Originally posted by Bloodraven:[..]

Not in a stadium, must likely not even in an arena. In a pub it'd be great.

[..]
    I think those lyrics were interesting, but -imho- I feel like the fact they weren't "personal" made them not feel too attached to those songs.

---

Also... I have a problem with people bundling Crazy Tonight with SUC/Boots.
    I fail to see what they do have in common, sonically, lyrically or even qualitatively... I think Crazy Tonight is great and would fit nice in most U2 albums (*hides* ); on the other hand, while I've grown to enjoy and even like Boots/SUC, they sort of fit on a sides B compilation.
    I group them together because they fall under the umbrella of "predictable U2 songs". That's sonically, lyrically, etc. No, Crazy and Boots don't sound anything alike, but they each sound like other songs U2 have done, and are sounds and songs that U2 are known for. In comparison to songs like Cedars, White as Snow, etc, they're uninteresting in that line of thought.

It's the same issue I currently take with the so-far released SOE songs. Blackout so far is my favourite because it sounds the least "predictable" (minus the chorus). It has an interesting groove, interesting bridge, some interesting bass and guitar work, etc. GOOYOW sounds like a typical U2 track, as does Best Thing, as does American Soul. Little Things has promise, but it'll all come down to the production IMO. I just wonder if we're about to get another NLOTH. A few obvious attempts at hits/tour "bangers", and a few interesting songs that they'll never play live or ever talk about etc.

This is all of course my opinion.
  7. I stand by my opinion that this album is so much better using the Linear tracklist. Flows so much better.
  8. Originally posted by Bloodraven:[..]

SOE is supposed to be a very personal album (or was it only SOI?) for Bono, and still, some of the lyrics sound like taken from a Chinese fortune cookie. I still choose the songwriting of Fez, Cedars and White As Snow over that.
  9. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:[..]

SOE is supposed to be a very personal album (or was it only SOI?) for Bono, and still, some of the lyrics sound like taken from a Chinese fortune cookie. I still choose the songwriting of Fez, Cedars and White As Snow over that.

yep, as audience I prefer those other lyrics, I'm just saying that imho he/they don't "love" these songs that much.

On the other hand, his songwriting hasn't been that strong in the last 15 years... he wants to say 100 words and he says those 100 words, instead of finding a way to say those 100 words in just 10. And subtle things like "I'm ripping the stitches" end up being cut because he fears people won't understand him or something like that.
    I have to say that I love bonolese... I don't get the lyrics "on the flight" anyway, so for me it doesn't matter that much, but I do prefer lyrics that doesn't make sense (EPAA!)
  10. NLOTH is a record I've grown to like quite a bit - a BIG part of that was just creating my own version of the album that reflects what potential it had...if the band kept their nerve and a consistent vision...in other words made the entire thing with Eno and Lanois.

1. Soon
    2. NLOTH
    3. Magnificent
    4. Unknown Caller
    5. Fez-Being Born
    6. White as Snow
    7. Winter
    8. Breathe
    9. Cedars of Lebanon

This album? It's FANTASTIC.
  11. Originally posted by Bloodraven:[..]

yep, as audience I prefer those other lyrics, I'm just saying that imho he/they don't "love" these songs that much.

On the other hand, his songwriting hasn't been that strong in the last 15 years... he wants to say 100 words and he says those 100 words, instead of finding a way to say those 100 words in just 10. And subtle things like "I'm ripping the stitches" end up being cut because he fears people won't understand him or something like that.
    I have to say that I love bonolese... I don't get the lyrics "on the flight" anyway, so for me it doesn't matter that much, but I do prefer lyrics that doesn't make sense (EPAA!)
    Great example, and I agree with Cesar. I have enough songs from U2 to latch onto in a personal crisis (or whatever, doesn't have to be a crisis), I'd be very down for an album full of stories over templates.
  12. Man....Cedars might be the coolest song U2 has put out since Pop (istening now).