1. The thing I really appreciate about this album as well is the incredibly good work by Adam on some of these songs. Namely Magnificent, MOS and Unknown Caller.

These songs have very unique and fresh sounding bass lines that are essential to them.
  2. Originally posted by Sev00:The thing I really appreciate about this album as well is the incredibly good work by Adam on some of these songs. Namely Magnificent, MOS and Unknown Caller.

These songs have very unique and fresh sounding bass lines that are essential to them.
    +1
  3. Edge has some really nice guitar work going on too, because it's subtle. He's finger picking an acoustic or electric a lot, and not using delay/echo a ton either.
  4. Listening to Winter and then White As Snow, following the Linear order, on a cold, dark day where snow is looking likely. The perfect kind of mood.

WHY didn't they release NLOTH in this original order? Such gems. I hope we hear this side of U2 again at some point before they retire.
  5. Haven't listened to either version of Winter in so long so thanks for that.

Both versions are quite lovely.
  6. One of my first two U2 albums. It's always a treat for me to revisit NLOTH. I really do love all the songs, it's just the running order isn't great as we all pretty much acknowledge. I always kind of liked the idea of Breathe being the closer, but Cedars is so damn good as the closer too...
  7. Just been listening to winter for the first time in a few months and it really is a cracker. Always brings me back to how much I loved linear and all the times I used to watch it. It’s only 1 song swap and a change of order but it does seem to make a significant difference to me.
  8. Originally posted by bpt3:Listening to Winter and then White As Snow, following the Linear order, on a cold, dark day where snow is looking likely. The perfect kind of mood.

WHY didn't they release NLOTH in this original order? Such gems. I hope we hear this side of U2 again at some point before they retire.
    Yeah. I think an EP like:

Fez-Being Born
    White As Snow
    Winter
    Moment of Surrender
    Cedars of Lebanon

is pretty fantastic. When I think of Linear and the type of imagery it evokes, mixed with the lyrics of some of these songs, it's like a short story of someone being born, going to war, coming home, having issues, surrendering to the emotion of it, and then looking back on it. And it's all very cinematic, not unlike Joshua Tree and Unforgettable Fire. I think of lights flashing at night, a wintery forest, a beach, etc.

I would've loved a whole album like this. I hate that I didn't really appreciate these tunes all this time as much as I am now.
  9. You've got to get your boots on if you're going to war, Alex.
  10. Never understood the hate for Stand Up Comedy,i mean yeah not a classic but pretty decent imo.
  11. I like it too... pretty nice riff and would be cool live at stadium