1. Originally posted by drewhiggins:From the count-in to those fading out drums on Shadows, there's not a bad moment on this album. To me, An Cat Dubh and Into The Heart are almost the centrepiece of the album if not for The Electric Co. a little while later. And when you hear The Cry attached to it, even better.

To think this album is 35 years old...wow. And yet, it sounds like it could have been released yesterday and still made an impact. So many of the themes are still relevant even now.
    Yes! Great album all the way through. An Cat Dubh - Into The Heart has always been a favorite and is great live! Electric Co, OOC, I Will Follow...all classics. Not a bad song on the album
  2. 35 years... Damn...

...I can picture myself in highschool back in 1990... Ugh... I wonder if those of you who are in highschool now think about Boy like I would've thought about a 1955 album back in the 90's...

---

Great album, I've made a couple of U2 fans by playing Boy (Twilight, to be more precise) and not saying who was the band until they admitted it was great

I can't believe you all are ignoring Twilight and Another Time....
  3. Originally posted by Bloodraven:35 years... Damn...

...I can picture myself in highschool back in 1990... Ugh... I wonder if those of you who are in highschool now think about Boy like I would've thought about a 1955 album back in the 90's...

---

Great album, I've made a couple of U2 fans by playing Boy (Twilight, to be more precise) and not saying who was the band until they admitted it was great

I can't believe you all are ignoring Twilight and Another Time....
    Both of those took a while to grow on me when I first heard them but for a while Another Time, Another Place was one of my favorites from that whole era. Twilight is also great though I can't stand the single version, Bono's voice is obnoxious.
  4. Great album. I am a fan of all the tracks aside from maybe the closer.
  5. Boy was a fantastic debut album, no doubt about that. Out Of Control, I Will Follow, Stories For Boys, Electric Co., Twilight, ATAP... All were excellent tracks (bar the too-80s production for my taste in some of them).

What really blows my mind is how they managed to blow the roof off with these songs live performances. Of course, U2 has always been billed as a "live band", but never more so than during the Boy era. The Ocean, An Cat Dubh, Into The Heart, A Day Without Me, ATAP, 11 O'Clock (I know it's not technically from Boy, but still)... they are all pretty plain/dull/you-name-it on the record, but are a thousand times better live. How that can possibly happen? It still amazes me.
  6. It's astonishing that a bunch of young lads managed to make such a good solid and profound record for their debut, that still holds up all these years later. It's a classic first album, ok so not quite on a par with later full-blown masterpieces, but for a first album from such young lads, it's especially good.
  7. Originally posted by LikeASong:Boy was a fantastic debut album, no doubt about that. Out Of Control, I Will Follow, Stories For Boys, Electric Co., Twilight, ATAP... All were excellent tracks (bar the too-80s production for my taste in some of them).

What really blows my mind is how they managed to blow the roof off with these songs live performances. Of course, U2 has always been billed as a "live band", but never more so than during the Boy era. The Ocean, An Cat Dubh, Into The Heart, A Day Without Me, ATAP, 11 O'Clock (I know it's not technically from Boy, but still)... they are all pretty plain/dull/you-name-it on the record, but are a thousand times better live. How that can possibly happen? It still amazes me.
    You can say the same about Bruce's Darkness on the edge of town album. A very dull flat recording of 10 of his best songs that always bring the house down live.
  8. Boy is always in my top three U2 albums with TJT & AB. Number 4 varies depending on my mood.
  9. Great album and hard to fault really. I've got a few u2 albums that I prefer to it but that's just my taste whenever I listen to boy straight through I always enjoy it and whenever they play something of it live I enjoy it too. Really gutted that An Cat Dubh/ Into the Heart didn't make an appearance at the vertigo tour show I was at, loved it on the DVD and it's my favourite(s) from the album.
  10. I first met my wife in 1987. The U2 single released when before we first met - ISHFWILF. I proposed to her when RH was released in 1989 - the single at that time - AIWIY. We chose to be engaged for 3 years. When we married in 1992 - the single at that time was EBTTRT.

Here's the real kicker...

Her birthday is 10-20.
  11. One of my favourites too. I'm looking at my original vinyl copy as I type this. With the picture sleeve of Bono inserted and the lyrics of just four tracks printed on the opposite side. I could never work that out - just 4 tracks. I always liked Steve Lillywhite's production on those early releases.
  12. Just downloaded the new MFIT version of Boy. Very cool to have a PDF of the liner notes.