1. Its Vlaar . No, Vlaar isn't a good penalty taker. He isn't a really good footballer either, but a good defender (best man on the pitch with Mascherano yesterday imo). He took the first was because he was playing a good match and had confidence. I also thought it wasn't very smart to let him take the first one. Start with someone who is a certain scorer (Huntelaar, Kuyt, Robben)

He should have changed more attacking, put in a extra forward (Depay for example) I had the feeling that in the last part of the second half Argentina was tired and on the edge of being kicked out. With some more pressure they could have collapsed.
    But it also was some bad luck, Indi sufferd from his hip in the break, De Jong just came back from an injury and Van Persie hasn't been fit in the whole tournament.
  2. That's what I meant, 2nd half and extra time Holland had more intentions to win. A lucky (off side) header was all of Argentina. But as often in football, the better team doesn't always win. At AZ Romero dropped all and now this. Agree, Vlaar shouldn't take the first one, media reports that 2 players refused to take 1st one. It's bitter, so close, be better and go out like this. Anyway, Argentina can be happy for few days, as Sunday evening that fun will be over.
  3. Just bought an Argentina shirt....they'll lose for sure!
  4. Originally posted by Malahide:That's what I meant, 2nd half and extra time Holland had more intentions to win. A lucky (off side) header was all of Argentina. But as often in football, the better team doesn't always win. At AZ Romero dropped all and now this. Agree, Vlaar shouldn't take the first one, media reports that 2 players refused to take 1st one. It's bitter, so close, be better and go out like this. Anyway, Argentina can be happy for few days, as Sunday evening that fun will be over.

Don't know if Holland deserved more. In my opinion both teams didn't play to win, so a penalty serie was deserved.
  5. Originally posted by bartajax:[..]

Don't know if Holland deserved more. In my opinion both teams didn't play to win, so a penalty serie was deserved.

I m with Bart ...a completly tied ( even when i think Argetina was a bit more , but not enough)
  6. Originally posted by bartajax:Its Vlaar . No, Vlaar isn't a good penalty taker. He isn't a really good footballer either, but a good defender (best man on the pitch with Mascherano yesterday imo). He took the first was because he was playing a good match and had confidence. I also thought it wasn't very smart to let him take the first one. Start with someone who is a certain scorer (Huntelaar, Kuyt, Robben)

He should have changed more attacking, put in a extra forward (Depay for example) I had the feeling that in the last part of the second half Argentina was tired and on the edge of being kicked out. With some more pressure they could have collapsed.
    But it also was some bad luck, Indi sufferd from his hip in the break, De Jong just came back from an injury and Van Persie hasn't been fit in the whole tournament.

I know he is very good but i was surprised that took the first penalty. The first one is always with a lot of pressure ( all of them but specially the first) normally you ( IMO) choose the better or the one with more experience or the leader of the team ...im know Van Gaal knows much more than me but i think he did a mistake there and i admit that his moved vs Costa Rica was a big geniality .

I think both teams had fear to lose and it was semi final from a WC !!

Look at 5.17

I was expecting this

Same player ...8 years later
  7. Originally posted by RUMMY:[..]

I agree with you as well, Sergio. I love sports for what they are but refuse or have no inkling to put any sort of emotional stake in them.

To be honest, I often think it's funny when Canada loses (usually I'm referring to ice hockey) so I can laugh at all the cry-babies around me!

look at this ...completly madness ...this is how we feel football here

8. Can we please forget about Maxi's goal in 06, Pato? Still hurts. (jk)
  9. Originally posted by DerBFreund:[image]

That's my exact feeling about sports in general!
    They play, they win, they lose.
    I don't play, I don't win, I don't lose

Don't get me wrong, I felt happy when Costa Rica played like they did, but just because they made a great game and they demonstrated that you can achieve greater things.
    But surely they didn't do anything for me
    Originally posted by RUMMY:I agree with you as well, Sergio. I love sports for what they are but refuse or have no inkling to put any sort of emotional stake in them.

To be honest, I often think it's funny when Canada loses (usually I'm referring to ice hockey) so I can laugh at all the cry-babies around me!

I guess we're in the minority here, but it's nice to see us 4 agreeing on this. Moreover, feeling this way allows me to enjoy all matches by everyone equally, I don't care who is wearing each t-shirt as long as the teams play good and I enjoy watching it - and never suffer with it.
  10. Anyone else not excited about today's game?
    Sure two potencies but not much at stake here

Neymar is on the bench, that's kind of amazing.

Looks like Brazil ia going down that same path agaib. Losing 1 -0 in the first two minutes
  11. Cillessen is the new Balotelli.

12. Lol. Van Gaals further humiliated Brazil by substituting him by the end.
    Shame that the referee was so damn atrocious