1. Also, I like how you chose Song For Someone as innocence. I agree with you there as with most of your other choices!
  2. Originally posted by BigGiRL:[..]
    AT,AP is a great choice. Pure musically one of the most interesting songs that haven't been played live for way too long!
    I've always gotten a 'morning after innocence' vibe from it
  3. I considered ATAP as the experience choice from Boy as well, but this particular line convinced me not to: "Being naked and afraid in the open space of my bed". It's virtually the opposite verse as the closing verse from The Troubles: "God, now you can see me: I'm naked and I'm not afraid - my body's sacred and I'm not ashamed".
  4. Originally posted by EyesWithPrideB3:Funny that you guys picked Mofo as a song of innocence…I always thought Mofo was sort of a companion piece to I Will Follow, IWF being the "innocent" piece and Mofo being a more adult perspective.

I hear IWF as a straightforward, no questions asked song…the music seems to suggest what the lyrics say, that no matter what, she will be followed. It's very driving and direct.

Mofo is much more chaotic though, perhaps his mother viewed through the lens of an adult…the biggest moment of the song to me is when he sings "Mother, am I still your child" and the chaos builds, and builds - until sudden, at 3:25 Edge cuts through the madness with one wailing note…a bit of clarity in all the noise.

Good point. To me it's more of a "still innocent" vibe. "No one tells me no". Like Bono is realizing how infantile his world still is. The POV comes from experience, but it's accepting innocence to me. It has a bit of both! Truthfully Pop isn't a very "innocent" album at all.

5. For me “Song For Someone” is really the theme song of Songs Of Innocence. It is like the reaching out to innocence itself by sharing experience with someone (still) innocent: “I don’t know how these cuts heal / But in you I found a rhyme.”

In a way this is an ironic move rather than a naïve one I would say. Ironic because it basically transcends experience while such a move can only be motivated by that same experience. It negates experience and yet raises it up to a new level - one may also call this “sublation” (or “Aufhebung,” as the Germans would have it). It is a sort of beyond-experience which is thought to resemble innocence, at least in terms of quality.

The “move” seems to be emphasized by the two refrains. The first refrain is the part which sings, “If there is a light you can’t always see…” and the second, “And this is a song for someone,” which not only holds the title of the song but also may reveal itself as the true “chorus” of the song when sung in unison and, too, as the core of the whole idea of passing experience onto innocence.
    Still, the true genius of this chorus is its first word: the word “and.” With this single word the thought of adding something over and above everything else is once again signified, as well as it is continued in the gesture that the song as a whole is a gift “for someone.” (And even the singer himself – the first person perspective – is not excluded to be someone; as a gift to oneself).

It will be interesting to see in which context “Song for Someone” will be performed. Elsewhere on .start I read suggestions as being somehow familiar to “One.” “Song for Someone” does indeed embrace both the differences between people (innocence vs. experience ), but instead of longing for an (impossible) oneness, “Song for Someone” comes up with a practical solution. In comparison to “One,” “Song for Someone” can be said to have more “experience,” but because of its actual “hands-on” approach, it also has much more of that “innocence” quality. As such the song is really capable of carrying the weight of the promise that is enclosed in the album title: Songs of Innocence. It makes sure that the album (or the "project") is at least not naïve.
  6. Originally posted by BigGiRL:[..]
    It will be interesting to see in which context “Song for Someone” will be performed. Elsewhere on .start I read suggestions as being somehow familiar to “One.” “Song for Someone” does indeed embrace both the differences between people (innocence vs. experience ), but instead of longing for an (impossible) oneness, “Song for Someone” comes up with a practical solution. In comparison to “One,” “Song for Someone” can be said to have more “experience,” but because of its actual “hands-on” approach, it also has much more of that “innocence” quality. As such the song is really capable of carrying the weight of the promise that is enclosed in the album title: Songs of Innocence. It makes sure that the album (or the "project") is at least not naïve.

I was the guy who suggested SFS shared a similar theme with One, but for some reason I couldn't explain why. Now you've done it perfectly. Thanks Joyce

PS. Asking your first question, I'm afraid they want to close the shows with it

7. You're welcome!

PS. Asking your first question, I'm afraid they want to close the shows with it

Nah... But...you never know... (In a hopelessly naïve-romantic vision I can see the crowd leaving the arenas hand-in-hand, continuously singing “…and this is a sooooooong for someone…”).

I'm only hoping they will be a little more creative than just letting SFS follow by "Stuck".... "I Fall Down" would be nice *dreaming*
  8. Originally posted by BigGiRL:[..]

You're welcome! [..]

Nah... But...you never know... (In a hopelessly naïve-romantic vision I can see the crowd leaving the arenas hand-in-hand, continuously singing “…and this is a sooooooong for someone…”).

I'm only hoping they will be a little more creative than just letting SFS follow by "Stuck".... "I Fall Down" would be nice *dreaming*
    SFS possibly closing the shows is not a personal guessing - it's something Bono and Larry said on an interview

9. Ah! So I am not the only one with hopeless "naïve-romantic" visions

Well, I guess closing the show off with SFS is a strong gesture. It's the context of leaving the song really in "innocence" hands; that is, leaving SFS open-ended and "empty" as yet "uncomitted" and free for everyone to take (or leave). Because only with comitment comes true experience (innocence is also empty...free-floating). Nice