1. The discography, compilations, singles, dvds are available in many websites too, but we pay for them.
  2. Yes but most the times with bootlegs the company that sells them aren't the ones who actually records them. Some nice soul spends his own time recording the gig and shares it freely on the web for fans, then a company comes along, steals that recording, puts it in nice packaging and then sells it on.
  3. Originally posted by SJKamal:Yes but most the times with bootlegs the company that sells them aren't the ones who actually records them. Some nice soul spends his own time recording the gig and shares it freely on the web for fans, then a company comes along, steals that recording, puts it in nice packaging and then sells it on.
    That's why there should be no unauthorized recordings available.
  4. Originally posted by SJKamal:Yes but most the times with bootlegs the company that sells them aren't the ones who actually records them. Some nice soul spends his own time recording the gig and shares it freely on the web for fans, then a company comes along, steals that recording, puts it in nice packaging and then sells it on.
    Yes, I agree.
    But I don't understand why we don't have to buy things (like bootlegs) of U2.
    There's a lot of people who sell U2 stuff, like shirts, cups, key chains...
    I think the fans can buy whatever they want.

5. Because most the time its someone else stealing someones work and selling it for profit.
  6. Originally posted by Carla_Ramos_10:[..]
    Yes, I agree.
    Carla_Ramos_10,

In my opinion you should only buy licensed material from U2 including keychains, music or bootlegs. That way, creators get paid on the U2 operation can continue.
  7. It's all about the nice packaging. Or, quoting Bono in 1992, "I don't know what a bootleg is so it must be art".
  8. Originally posted by miryclay:[..]
    Carla_Ramos_10,

In my opinion you should only buy licensed material from U2 including keychains, music or bootlegs. That way, creators get paid on the U2 operation can continue.
    haha ok.
    But I bought a lot of (un)official stuff
  9. Originally posted by Carla_Ramos_10:[..]
    Yes, I agree.
    You can buy it but maybe you're throwing your money because those recordings are free here, for example.

Many times, those pirates are recordings of fans that he shares freely and others appropriate them to do business.

Buying pirates is going against the spirit of the fans.
  10. What's the difference between a bootleg and say an unofficial t-shirt or an unofficial poster.

There's a thread on here full of people posting what they consider "collectables" which are nothing but unofficial items.
  11. Nothing really. Biggest argument is a thriving bootlegging culture results in more tapers holding back their recordings, which hurts collectors in the long run. For example, I hold back any/all of my Rolling Stones recordings because I know it'll be instantly bootlegged. Buying bootleg t-shirts doesn't kill the supply, it just gives unscrupulous folks some more money.
  12. Originally posted by hoserama:Nothing really. Biggest argument is a thriving bootlegging culture results in more tapers holding back their recordings, which hurts collectors in the long run. For example, I hold back any/all of my Rolling Stones recordings because I know it'll be instantly bootlegged. Buying bootleg t-shirts doesn't kill the supply, it just gives unscrupulous folks some more money.
    All true, but on the t shirt analogy. I bought a bootleg one on Popmart and ran into Paul McGuinness the same day. He said "nice shirt". My response was Paul I bought all of the official ones already (which was true). He said, "Oh, I guess that is ok then" and laughed. Recordings though are different for the reasons hoserama pointed out. That being said I would not buy a bootleg shirt now anyway. I only buy 1 official shirt (if any) now. T shirts are a rip off now IMO. Way overpriced.