Joshua Tree Tour 2017
Legs (3): Leg 1 - North America, Leg 2 - Europe, Leg 3 - The Americas
Shows: 54
  1. Originally posted by pianomankd:I was giving it a few shows for them to get their shoes worn and broken in, but it's now upsetting me.

With this tour and all the footage I've seen, gone are the days of the soul aspect of the U2 show. I put on the 360 tour blu ray last night and the energy from the band, specifically Bono is just incredible.

Fast forward and watch footage from this tour; Bono looks completely uninspired. Where is his energy? Where is the constant interaction with the fans to build the drama of the songs? The stage setup, while branching out to the crowd, still feels like it's removed from being part of the crowd, like Elevation tour, 360 tour, etc. did.

It's sad to see. I know this is a U2 message board and we all love the band, I LOVE the band, but there has to be other people besides me who feel this way.

I'm going to the Boston Gillette show in a few weeks, and after watching these videos, I already know it's not going to be the same glorious feel.

::runs in the corner and hides for voicing his opinion::
    I totally agree with you. Even the last tour, IE, we had better gigs. I love the Paris one shot for DVD, they are on fire.
  2. This tour is contract obligated, they don't have passion from a tour they have been forced to do
  3. I read somewhere that the whole thing is just propaganda for a anti Trump campaign
  4. I agree with you as well. Its funny actually 360 was my first show and I was in the stands but still blown away. I then rember watching the Rose Bowl Blu Ray and Elevation back to back and thought 360 was so uninspired..... Then I seen IE in person and it was a good show but it didnt quite touch me like 360, and now JT energy is getting even less. Bono has aged a lot 360, hey hes human its just the way it is. One 360 he still seemed to put his whole body and into it somehow. I think the bike accident really stuffed him up in that respect.... :/ Must suck.

I did enjoy the IE yotube clips way more than the JT ones so far. Just comparing yotube stuff - I know thats not always right..... watch Pride on this tour then watch IE..... Also seems like Bono has lost some range.

But yeah it doesnt feel right for me somehow and its hard saying that because I want to love the tour but something is kinda off for me. It feels like they dont want to be there, which is sad
  5. Originally posted by hello123:I agree with you as well. Its funny actually 360 was my first show and I was in the stands but still blown away. I then rember watching the Rose Bowl Blu Ray and Elevation back to back and thought 360 was so uninspired..... Then I seen IE in person and it was a good show but it didnt quite touch me like 360, and now JT energy is getting even less. Bono has aged a lot 360, hey hes human its just the way it is. One 360 he still seemed to put his whole body and into it somehow. I think the bike accident really stuffed him up in that respect.... :/ Must suck.

I did enjoy the IE yotube clips way more than the JT ones so far. Just comparing yotube stuff - I know thats not always right..... watch Pride on this tour then watch IE..... Also seems like Bono has lost some range.

But yeah it doesnt feel right for me somehow and its hard saying that because I want to love the tour but something is kinda off for me. It feels like they dont want to be there, which is sad
    Yeah I agree,

How do you rate Bono's voice on this tour? compared to the last, on some songs he seems stronger this tour and others not so muchm
  6. My roommate's sister in law who has seen the band several times was in Houston last night. She said it wasn't as flashy as I & E but it felt poignant and even heart wrenching at times. She said it also felt fun and energetic too.

She also said The Little Things was received well. She liked it and hadn't seen Kimmel.
  7. Originally posted by u2_michaelc:[..]
    Yeah I agree,

How do you rate Bono's voice on this tour? compared to the last, on some songs he seems stronger this tour and others not so muchm
    For me its a bit hard to tell at the moment until we have an IEM or soundboard recording....

For example I though he voice on IE was very inconsistent. Mid US leg was great EU leg very up and down night to night. I was pretty damn impressed with the Chicago show that was related as an IEM record from IE for example. Streets on that show, his voice is amazing! Even though streets didn't stir me much last tour.

I think during IE his range was quite good, some songs like Pride and WOWY much better than 360 but then some not quite as good just depended on the track. For example ISTHFWILF sounds much better this tour, but BD and Pride sound far worse than last tour IMO.

I think his tone has a lot to do with it though. He sound much thinner than 360, and I remember him sounding kinda thin during that compared to Vertigo for example. I think the most obvious thing here is the fact he isn't doing the opera in MS. And UV....

One thing from this tour is he has been having lots of trouble breathing. He sounds like he is struggling big time here. Even when he is just talking between songs. Again this is not an attack or dig, just and observation!!!!

One IE he wasn't out of breath and he had more control of his voice I think. I also think this is why the setlist is so short. He just can't keep it up.

So to answer your question jury is out for now.... hahaha I reckon he is bound to have some great nights though but I think like IE it will be inconsistent. Its more his tone than range for me though. The tone is why he sometimes sounds a bit board I reckon. I think with age the stadiums are much harder to have the same presence in, and I think they should stick with the arenas for sure. I know that doesn't effect voice but it does effect his stage presence IMO.
  8. Originally posted by kris_smith87:My roommate's sister in law who has seen the band several times was in Houston last night. She said it wasn't as flashy as I & E but it felt poignant and even heart wrenching at times. She said it also felt fun and energetic too.

She also said The Little Things was received well. She liked it and hadn't seen Kimmel.
    Interesting.... Yeah I am hearing lots of mixed things. Hard to know if I should make the big trip or not haha I did enjoy IE but it didn't kinda hit me in the core like U2, like that hair raising type stuff, it just felt like a great show.... Except when I heard Bad that was special! Also when you are there you forget all the little gripes and just enjoy it. I feel kinda silly judging the tour from a YouTube clip, but for now its all I got! Thats why I am comparing YouTube clips to YouTube clips.
  9. Originally posted by kris_smith87:My roommate's sister in law who has seen the band several times was in Houston last night. She said it wasn't as flashy as I & E but it felt poignant and even heart wrenching at times. She said it also felt fun and energetic too.

Which further adds to the WTF element of ASOH going missing... I can't see ASOH not being received well...
  10. Na neither that has been one of Bono's strongest tracks this tour IMO. That synth though was not good at all hahaha Everything else was great!
  11. Originally posted by hello123:[..]
    For me its a bit hard to tell at the moment until we have an IEM or soundboard recording....

For example I though he voice on IE was very inconsistent. Mid US leg was great EU leg very up and down night to night. I was pretty damn impressed with the Chicago show that was related as an IEM record from IE for example. Streets on that show, his voice is amazing! Even though streets didn't stir me much last tour.

I think during IE his range was quite good, some songs like Pride and WOWY much better than 360 but then some not quite as good just depended on the track. For example ISTHFWILF sounds much better this tour, but BD and Pride sound far worse than last tour IMO.

I think his tone has a lot to do with it though. He sound much thinner than 360, and I remember him sounding kinda thin during that compared to Vertigo for example. I think the most obvious thing here is the fact he isn't doing the opera in MS. And UV....

One thing from this tour is he has been having lots of trouble breathing. He sounds like he is struggling big time here. Even when he is just talking between songs. Again this is not an attack or dig, just and observation!!!!

One IE he wasn't out of breath and he had more control of his voice I think. I also think this is why the setlist is so short. He just can't keep it up.

So to answer your question jury is out for now.... hahaha I reckon he is bound to have some great nights though but I think like IE it will be inconsistent. Its more his tone than range for me though. The tone is why he sometimes sounds a bit board I reckon. I think with age the stadiums are much harder to have the same presence in, and I think they should stick with the arenas for sure. I know that doesn't effect voice but it does effect his stage presence IMO.
    Very well said.
    I too had that impression, the voice is getting thinner, obviously ageing will have that effect but between 360 and now, I'm really starting to notice the difference, no opera in MS, NYD down a key or 2, ultraviolet has not much high notes in this tour, back to the zoo TV style (which isn't bad at all) shorter setlist, less all round energy,

12. that's great, my friend Marinella Venegoni of La Stampa Turin sent me the orginal article of 1987 about the new release worldwide of Joshua Tree. Here is for you.