Joshua Tree Tour 2017
Legs (3): Leg 1 - North America, Leg 2 - Europe, Leg 3 - The Americas
Shows: 54
  1. Originally posted by Remy:[..]
    A lottery system would solve everything. I'd be in favour. Or well, not always from a personal point of view, but it's more fair
    How would you propose the lottery system to operate? Is it just for people that are physically there for gates opening time?
  2. There was a lottery type system for the indoor shows of the Vertigo tour, right? A lottery for being inside the ellipse.

Your ticket would be scanned and it would randomly choose those who could go into the ellipse.
  3. Originally posted by Welsh_Edge:There was a lottery type system for the indoor shows of the Vertigo tour, right? A lottery for being inside the ellipse.

Your ticket would be scanned and it would randomly choose those who could go into the ellipse.
    That works if you have a sectioned of area like the ellipse but what about for tours like this one without a different section?
  4. Maybe for the queue. So you can queue from 2pm on show day, and your order in the queue is determined by a lottery system. So let's say 500 people are there at 2pm to go and queue, then those 500 will get their tickets scanned and they will get a number in the queue from 1 to 500. And that's how the line will start.
  5. Totally agree with those who published that open letter, although personally (luckily) I've never been affected by it. People were giving out "numbers" the night before the first Chicago 360 show in 09, but my wife and I just got in line the next morning and managed to get right on the rail of the outer circle. No numbering system that I remember for East Lansing GA two years later or for United Center I & E shows, either...planning on showing up around 4:00 or so in Cleveland next weekend and seeing what happens!

One question I have: based on my experience, I've never had a problem briefly leaving a GA line to use the bathroom or to get a bite to eat, so long as I'm with a group of people to vouch for my place I and get to know the others around me in line, too. Have others that have queued all day previously had to literally stay in line all day and not move? That sounds terrible.
  6. Originally posted by bpt3:Totally agree with those who published that open letter, although personally (luckily) I've never been affected by it. People were giving out "numbers" the night before the first Chicago 360 show in 09, but my wife and I just got in line the next morning and managed to get right on the rail of the outer circle. No numbering system that I remember for East Lansing GA two years later or for United Center I & E shows, either...planning on showing up around 4:00 or so in Cleveland next weekend and seeing what happens!

One question I have: based on my experience, I've never had a problem briefly leaving a GA line to use the bathroom or to get a bite to eat, so long as I'm with a group of people to vouch for my place I and get to know the others around me in line, too. Have others that have queued all day previously had to literally stay in line all day and not move? That sounds terrible.
    No, that's obviously allowed. Taking a quick shower at the hotel, go have a piss, go have a burger, all of that is very logical and unless you leave the line at 4:48PM when gates open at 5, you'll have no problem getting your spot back in the queue.

What's unfair is going there, picking up a number, having it written on the back of your hand, and then disappearing for 6/8/12 hours. That's what the letter is talking about, that's what should be forbidden and hindered.
  7. Originally posted by Remy:[..]
    Maybe for the queue. So you can queue from 2pm on show day, and your order in the queue is determined by a lottery system. So let's say 500 people are there at 2pm to go and queue, then those 500 will get their tickets scanned and they will get a number in the queue from 1 to 500. And that's how the line will start.
    I suppose that's fair enough, do you think it would be less chaotic then allowing queuing from only 2pm since there's no benefit in being there earlier as it would be random?
  8. It was published at the U2 Friends facebook group but I can't find it right now. Maybe it's been deleted, there was quite a big discussion going on in the comments section.
  9. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    No, that's obviously allowed. Taking a quick shower at the hotel, go have a piss, go have a burger, all of that is very logical and unless you leave the line at 4:48PM when gates open at 5, you'll have no problem getting your spot back in the queue.

What's unfair is going there, picking up a number, having it written on the back of your hand, and then disappearing for 6/8/12 hours. That's what the letter is talking about, that's what should be forbidden and hindered.
    Logical yes if your queuing for such an enormous length of time but if you didn't allow it at all people wouldn't do it and we wouldn't have people queuing for such lengths of time as it wouldn't be possible to hold in the toilet so long and not eat or drink. If you forbid they things then at most people would start queuing up on the afternoon of the show which is a sensible time. That would be my solution, a bit hard line but this queuing for days nonsense is getting ridiculous.
  10. I remember when I arrived in Dublin for i+e, it was 10pm outside 3 Arena and I literally just got off the airport bus. I couldn't make the gig so I waited outside for people on here to leave the concert. There was this one Scottish guy (I think he was from Glasgow) who was going berserk about queuing systems. It must have been the encore break for the third Dublin gig and people were leaving the concert and starting a queue for Dublin 4. I thought it was the saddest sight. They missed the Bad-One combo that everyone rightfully raved about after the gig and one thing I was particularly pissed off at was there were two Italian girls starting the queuing (as they also couldn't attend the third) with a notebook. Then all the regulars mentioned in the open letter were in the queue made up of passouts from the concert still happening, who had started it and completely disregarded these Italian girls as soon as they went over. I'm not naming names but use your imagination and you'll know who the people in the queue were. There was so many problems with queuing at that gig, I remember speaking to people on here about it on the day who were incensed at queue organisers favouring certain individuals to get them as close to the front as possible. That Scottish guy couldn't have been more correct, as irritating as he was. I don't queue, but it still annoys me that people think it's acceptable to essentially make a fan base contentious.
  11. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    It was published at the U2 Friends facebook group but I can't find it right now. Maybe it's been deleted, there was quite a big discussion going on in the comments section.
    As in the U2 fans tour help real fans to get tickets?
  12. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    Logical yes if your queuing for such an enormous length of time but if you didn't allow it at all people wouldn't do it and we wouldn't have people queuing for such lengths of time as it wouldn't be possible to hold in the toilet so long and not eat or drink. If you forbid they things then at most people would start queuing up on the afternoon of the show which is a sensible time. That would be my solution, a bit hard line but this queuing for days nonsense is getting ridiculous.
    I agree !!! I noticed alot of GA people passing out in crowds being taking away by EMT's is it worth it to be close enough to almost touch the band , I think "NOT"!!!!!