Joshua Tree Tour 2017
Legs (3): Leg 1 - North America, Leg 2 - Europe, Leg 3 - The Americas
Shows: 54
  1. Originally posted by TheEdge10:Toronto - best U2 show I've seen to date. I'll always remember the tour for that reason alone. Also got to witness the Dublin U2 atmosphere for the first time even though the show was underwhelming. They succeeded: they kept it from being a nostalgia tour while playing some incredible shows and road-testing some new songs. Mission accomplished.
    Agree with Toronto being best U2 show I've ever seen. There was something magical about that concert - the audience, the roof opening, Bad with Leonard Cohen lyrics, and esp. Out of Control thrown in at the end. Amazing. Great tour. Glad to finally hear Joshua Tree in full.
  2. Originally posted by LikeASong:DUE TO OVERWHELMING DEMAND, WE HAVE ADDED A NEW SET OF CONCERTS TO OUR ÜBER SUCCESFUL #U2THEJOSHUATREETOUR... NOW EXTENDED TO 2018! PRESALES STARTS YESTERDAY

rumoured 3 shows in Kansas and 4 shows in Indianapolis... + expected more shows in Pittsburgh
  3. I'm glad I got to see them for the first time. Boston was an awesome show.

This tour is a little weird - super static setlist, variable performance quality, for a 30 year old album, etc. BUT - I think this tour more than the last one was a kind of 'you had to be there' deal. Experiencing the show was something else indeed.

Getting The Joshua Tree in full every night made the tour worth it. That alone would have been show enough. Full New Year's Day at last, A Sort of Homecoming and The Little Things That Give You Away (albeit briefly) were all other gems. A fun (de)tour, but I'm now more excited than I was before for the new album and new shows.
  4. I was going to do a big review but to keep it a bit more brief, I’ll start with the downside. The opening 4 songs on the encore (depends on which show you went to) of Miss Sarajevo, beautiful day, elevation and vertigo was my least favourite/ least memorable part of the show and part of the tour in general. Don’t get me wrong they were still fun at the time and all at least decent songs but compared to the next trio we got of ultraviolet, one and Little Things, they lacked depth. That trio I mentioned though was a great ending to the show. The first 4 songs I thought they chose well. I guess for 2 night stops they could have rotated bad and ASOH but I think most people, including myself, prefer bad anyway so fair enough. TJT section was immense, just incredible. I don’t really need to expand any further but I will say that I would never have dreamt of hearing all the songs from side 2 of TJT on the same night, special falls short of explaining it.
  5. Looking back, this tour was definitely my least favorite of the shows I've been lucky to see (360, I&E, and now JT2017). Lack of new songs (besides Little Things and Best Thing), simple stage setup compared to The Claw and the immersive, performance art screen of I&E, and bummed that they still seemed content to skip Pop and more recently NLOTH and SOI.

And yet...I absolutely loved being there at 3 shows this summer. I can forgive not getting new songs because they'll be back with a new album and tour next year. I also actually love how they managed to go "simplistic" with the stage setup, honoring the original 1987 format, and yet giving it a modern, beautiful, technologically brilliant twist with the giant video screen and the "shadow" of the Tree jutting out into GA. And though I wish they had played more recent material at most shows than Vertigo from 2004, I also went in expecting to simply enjoy hearing the JT album in full - anything else was just a bonus, no matter what they played. Along that line, I'm not really bothered by "lack of setlist variation" - yes, U2 has been around for 40 years, but especially from Zoo TV on, the setlist has been pretty static, and that's fine...provided they put on an incredible, tight, theatrical show, which they usually do. I've said before but if the Internet was around in 1992, we probably all would have gotten bored of Zoo TV before Outside Broadcast was even over...

All in all: a special tour that I'm happy the band did...but bring on SOE and E&I now, please!
  6. I saw 3 shows this tour (Dublin and Amsterdam), all 3 were really amazing shows. Seeing U2 in Dublin was a life long dream of me, so I'm very happy I got to do it . Even though the setlist of the 3 nights were almost the same, I couldn't give a shit. Amazing start with 80's songs, then The Joshua Tree full, most of us wouldn't ever thought this would happen. And after TJT, we get a best of post JT songs. I am very happy that they did this tour. I didn't care they played almost the same set every night because the most important thing is tour was them playing TJT full.

My top 3 U2 shows I've been to rated from most favourite to least (I've been to 9 in total, I love them al )

1. 2015-09-13 Amsterdam, Netherlands
    2. 2017-07-30 Amsterdam, Netherlands
    3. 2017-07-29 Amsterdam, Netherlands
  7. I loved the one where they played Streets
  8. I was lucky enough to catch 4 shows this tour. Both in Pasadena, Glendale, and San Diego.

I can't say enough how much of a blast I had at all 4 of them in the moment. All the Side 2 songs that I'd thought I'd missed the boat on seeing live because of my age I got to hear, Ultra Violet, ASOH, Little Things. And yet, I left the SD show feeling deflated about the whole tour because it was the most un-U2 thing for them to do.

Normally I'm up for 90% of the watch parties or watching twitter every show but it didn't have the same feel for me. The band felt very auto pilot at times. Save for a the snippets and the arrangement of The Best Thing I can say the Glendale & SD shows were mirror images of each other down to Bono's speeches.

I couldn't be happier the tour is over and that in itself bums me out. To feel that way about my favorite band is a massive downer. But I'm excited for SoE and the coming tour. I guess I'm just itching to hear something new. I couldn't be more thankful for the chance to hear everything I mentioned above, because more than likely I wouldn't have heard most/all of those songs without this tour, but I'm happy U2 is looking forward again.
  9. I loved the tour - I saw them in Rome (1) and Paris (1), and both shows totally rocked. The Rome show in particular was amazing; I was also really up close, B-stage first row. It was a joy to see JT live. I am glad they did it.

Of course, time to move on to SoE; but they soon will :-).

Yes, ZOO TV was from another planet. I had the privilege to see that too. But hey, they were in their early 30's, it was their time. They are now pushing nearly 60, and still very much rocking. Can't ask for more!

10. The only thing I will be truly missing and cherishing about this tour is this: