Joshua Tree Tour 2017
Legs (3): Leg 1 - North America, Leg 2 - Europe, Leg 3 - The Americas
Shows: 54
  1. Originally posted by LikeASong:A late'16 SOE release would mean at least full 2017 and half 2018 touring - they might be a bit too old for 4 year tours. Just saying!
    If they stay with the arena formula they are on now (2 nights on, 1 or 2 nights off) it'll definitely be less demanding on them... the question is, can Bono hold up that long.

I think SOE will end up being much like Zooropa. They'll work on it diligently between winter and spring and start blending it into the show during spring leg of tour, so they won't necessarily extend the tour past 2016... Unless of course a) the demand is still there, or b) they are all up to it this time next year.

You have to figure at some point they are planning an endgame (seeing as they try to shy away from doing the "greatest hits" tour that most of the older bands are doing nowadays...

Just my humble, random thoughts...
  2. Originally posted by James360:[..]

I don't think they can play Manchester Arena. I remember reading something when the tour was announced that the stage design would not fit because the Manchester Arena has a permanent scoreboard type thing from it's old Ice Hockey days above the GA area (shown below) that would be in the way of the screen and sound system the band obviously want to use. I know other arenas have them but this one is quite low and cannot move.

Invalid url 'http:// http://www.developmentsecurities.co.uk/devsecplc/dlibrary/imgpool/MEN_thumb.jpg'

Hopefully not as I would love them to play there!!
    The NEC is another option.
  3. Originally posted by James360:[..]

I don't think they can play Manchester Arena. I remember reading something when the tour was announced that the stage design would not fit because the Manchester Arena has a permanent scoreboard type thing from it's old Ice Hockey days above the GA area (shown below) that would be in the way of the screen and sound system the band obviously want to use. I know other arenas have them but this one is quite low and cannot move.

Invalid url 'http:// http://www.developmentsecurities.co.uk/devsecplc/dlibrary/imgpool/MEN_thumb.jpg'

Hopefully not as I would love them to play there!!

Ah yes, that is true. Just throwing this out there but what about Manchester Central, or what used to be G-Mex Centre? Failing that, Birmingham has a couple of arenas at good use.
  4. Originally posted by KieranU2:[..]

Ah yes, that is true. Just throwing this out there but what about Manchester Central, or what used to be G-Mex Centre? Failing that, Birmingham has a couple of arenas at good use.

GMex/Central is an option but doesn't have the big seated area. The Liverpool Echo is a more conventional arena and a lot of other bands choice of venue these days if they want a north-west based gig.

I think the NEC with the central location and bigger capacity is the one they will go for if Manchester isn't viable.
  5. Blitz, a Portuguese music magazine, published about U2 today. Their source is the promoter that always brings U2 here: Ritmos & Blues.

What they basically say is that U2 will play here in Portugal on July 2016 and that before the end of this year there will be an official announcement. Tickets would go on sale in November or December.

However, they aren't authorized to say where they will play (here we have only one arena big enough so it's either that or stadiums).
    This is the 2nd time they say U2 will play here in July but before they always talked about an arena show... maybe something has changed.

Still rumours are rumours, we should not read much into it! Anyway here's the article in Portuguese.
  6. Originally posted by martahU2:Blitz, a Portuguese music magazine, published about U2 today. Their source is the promoter that always brings U2 here: Ritmos & Blues.

What they basically say is that U2 will play here in Portugal on July 2016 and that before the end of this year there will be an official announcement. Tickets would go on sale in November or December.

However, they aren't authorized to say where they will play (here we have only one arena big enough so it's either that or stadiums).
    This is the 2nd time they say U2 will play here in July but before they always talked about an arena show... maybe something has changed.

Still rumours are rumours, we should not read much into it! Anyway here's the article in Portuguese.
    Yes, hard to put anything beyond rumors. I have heard the Portugal in July one as well, along with Australia/New Zealand in March.

So, so far we have Australia/New Zealand in March, Europe in April/May, Portugal in July (which would mean European leg would run April/July... 4 months is pretty extensive, which would an extensive NA run too, I guess Sept til end of 2016) So, either tour does extend into 2017, or SA gets the shaft!

So much speculation! It's really great fun...
  7. We don't know if Australasia will be in Spring, it could be just European arenas. Having Australia in March is pretty short notice, but who knows. It's all speculation at the moment, could be anything. I think it's pretty certain that we'll get an announcement before Christmas.
  8. Originally posted by KieranU2:We don't know if Australasia will be in Spring, it could be just European arenas. Having Australia in March is pretty short notice, but who knows. It's all speculation at the moment, could be anything. I think it's pretty certain that we'll get an announcement before Christmas.
    Yeah. I read about the Australia rumor back around when the tour began. It's just fun to speculate... and hope.

I'm going to be so bold to say that they will play Europe and North America in 2016. Beyond that... Who knows...

Let us not forget the Russian rumor, too!

This would be a fun forum topic... 2016 Tour Prediction forum to replace the setlist prediction once this leg ends!
  9. Originally posted by KieranU2:We don't know if Australasia will be in Spring, it could be just European arenas. Having Australia in March is pretty short notice, but who knows. It's all speculation at the moment, could be anything. I think it's pretty certain that we'll get an announcement before Christmas.
    And don't forget it was pretty short notice first go round for this tour! Sometimes I think they like to keep us guessing... and second guessing!
  10. I forgot about the Moscow rumour. That could happen.
  11. Since we might get some 2016 dates rather soon, I have a question about the U2.com subscription, to get a new pre-sale code, of course. I have a subscription that lasts until December and I have already used my pre-sale code. When do I renew it? There is the option already, but shouldn't it be possible after that one-year period? Or is it really that if I renew it now, I pay another 40$ and I get another pre-sale code, eventhough it has been only 10 months since I got my last one?