1. According to U2valencia, Sony (not Universal) is the copyright holder:

That would mean that it's not an original U2 song remixed by Kygo, but a Kygo+U2 collaboration instead.
  2. Originally posted by LikeASong:According to U2valencia, Sony (not Universal) is the copyright holder:

[image]

That would mean that it's not an original U2 song remixed by Kygo, but a Kygo+U2 collaboration instead.
    Why couldn't it just be that the remix is on Kygo's label but the original content is on U2's? I just can't imagine why U2 would do this random one-off with a lesser-known DJ unless it was mutually beneficial...
  3. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]
    Why couldn't it just be that the remix is on Kygo's label but the original content is on U2's? I just can't imagine why U2 would do this random one-off with a lesser-known DJ unless it was mutually beneficial...
    I'd say it's possible, but unlikely
  4. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]
    It's mutually beneficial in that U2 is get introduced to a new market and they are getting existing fans pumped and hyped, while as Kygo is also getting recognition to a worldwide fanbase that in all likelihood (most - myself included) had never heard of him.
  5. Originally posted by blueeyedboy:[..]
    It's mutually beneficial in that U2 is get introduced to a new market and they are getting existing fans pumped and hyped, while as Kygo is also getting recognition to a worldwide fanbase that in all likelihood (most - myself included) had never heard of him.
    I suppose.

I guess I also meant that, when has U2 ever done something like that in the past? It's early in the morning and I'm scratching my blank head.

I can't find it right now, but was the Ordinary Love remix on Universal, or Columbia? (Columbia being Paul Epworth's label)
  6. Originally posted by blueeyedboy:[..]
    Existing fans pumped and hyped?

Hmmm, I wouldn't use those words to describe my feelings about this song
  7. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]
    Maybe a naive question, but... A remixed song retains the original label's copyright, doesn't it?

Good point about the whole meaning of this. When I think of this all from that perspective, the very only explanation is that this is a song off SOE that Kygo has remixed (and maybe produced in the album itself?) and aired ahead of its official release, with or without U2's permission.
  8. Pumped and hyped about new release on horizon and that new music is out. Remember when Invisible got thrown to us for scraps?

And present company excluded, we could take a survey and I'll bet we're in the minority about not being pumped or hyped...
  9. Originally posted by blueeyedboy:[..]
    Pumped and hyped about new release on horizon and that new music is out. Remember when Invisible got thrown to us for scraps?

And present company excluded, we could take a survey and I'll bet we're in the minority about not being pumped or hyped...
    I don't think you're in the minority. Judging from facebook and twitter opinions, this is by far the most controversial / polarizing song since GOYB (and even then, negative opinions took a longer while to come since we all were suffering from lack of U2 material syndrome and were therefore a little positively biased towards GOYB).
  10. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Maybe a naive question, but... A remixed song retains the original label's copyright, doesn't it?

Good point about the whole meaning of this. When I think of this all from that perspective, the very only explanation is that this is a song off SOE that Kygo has remixed (and maybe produced in the album itself?) and aired ahead of its official release, with or without U2's permission.
    Good point, and yeah I feel like that's the likeliest case. Especially given that the song was being heard blaring from the B-man's place not a couple weeks ago.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  11. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]

I am in no way a copyright expert, but I would tend to think so.