2017-05-12 - Vancouver
Tour: Joshua Tree Tour 2017
Songs played: 23
Audio recordings: 6
Videos: 1
  1. Originally posted by RUMMY:Back on topic (sort of):
    I wonder if the band has paid any attention to social media and what the fans want to hear? I get it that it's the hardcore fans doing all the "talking" (i.e., I can guarantee my wife and the other couple were going to the show with haven't been making online posts about such things) but wonder who the band is catering to the most this time around.

I guess we'll find out in Vancouver (lame attempt to get back on topic).
    Even though I'd be happy with more rarities I think the band do a fair job when it comes to setlists. The rotation side of things is the best criticism but at this stage they could easily be playing only hits and only 2 or 3 a night of a new album. Thankfully we always tend to get at least 7 or 8 songs from there latest album per show. This tour is a little different but at least they aren't calling it the Joshua tree tour then only playing the first 5 of the album, so they've committed to 6 modern day rarities per show which I think is cool. The only request I'd have is Heartland and maybe Stay even though it doesn't fit in (it's my favourite u2 song). To sum up I'd say the band will cater fairly towards both the die hard fans and the more casual fans as we get the rarities from the JT plus songs like Streets, wowy, bad, maybe one or two more are the kind of songs that none of us get tired of hearing but they could well play the likes of beautiful day, vertigo, elevation which would be more for the casuals.
  2. As one of the "die hard" fans, I sometimes feel out of touch with the casual U2 fan. I mention this because I wonder if one of these casual fans would be excited for the likes of Vertigo and Elevation? Beautiful Day? Sure. But the other two? Maybe. Maybe not. I have no idea. Maybe I should ask my wife.
  3. Originally posted by RUMMY:As one of the "die hard" fans, I sometimes feel out of touch with the casual U2 fan. I mention this because I wonder if one of these casual fans would be excited for the likes of Vertigo and Elevation? Beautiful Day? Sure. But the other two? Maybe. Maybe not. I have no idea. Maybe I should ask my wife.
    Well I'm the same really but the usual remarks regarding vertigo and elevation is 'it's good live'. That's what my friends who are more casual u2 fans thought when they went to the 360 show at Hampden with me. I'd be happy not to hear them live again though.
  4. I am far from the "casual" fan, but it doesn't mean I can't enjoy a show with the standard U2 fare. I love seeing them play. I would rather replace Beautiful Day with Like a Song, but if I hear Beautiful Day, I will enjoy it. Especially when I have, like this show, a whole side to an awesome album full of rarities.

My favorite songs go pretty much: Acrobat, Unforgettable Fire, One Tree Hill, Like a Song, Bad. After this run, I will have heard 3 of those live. I go in having heard 2. So it will be a win.
  5. Originally posted by dougman23:I am far from the "casual" fan, but it doesn't mean I can't enjoy a show with the standard U2 fare. I love seeing them play. I would rather replace Beautiful Day with Like a Song, but if I hear Beautiful Day, I will enjoy it. Especially when I have, like this show, a whole side to an awesome album full of rarities.

My favorite songs go pretty much: Acrobat, Unforgettable Fire, One Tree Hill, Like a Song, Bad. After this run, I will have heard 3 of those live. I go in having heard 2. So it will be a win.
    i hope you get acrobat
  6. I think it's impossible to even reach a happy medium with the extensive catalog they have... Keeping diehards and casuals both happy is hard enough... but as diehards it might be just as tough. For this tour, the die hard and purist in me wants to be like TJT87. Boy through Joshua Tree. Like it's all that you have. Just as it was then... That would be the ultimate i/e tour - immaculate/experience.
  7. Originally posted by RUMMY:As one of the "die hard" fans, I sometimes feel out of touch with the casual U2 fan. I mention this because I wonder if one of these casual fans would be excited for the likes of Vertigo and Elevation? Beautiful Day? Sure. But the other two? Maybe. Maybe not. I have no idea. Maybe I should ask my wife.
    Vertigo and Elevation definitely get me excited. High energy performances of high energy songs get me excited.
  8. Originally posted by ahn1991:[..]
    Vertigo and Elevation definitely get me excited. High energy performances of high energy songs get me excited.
    I love both and never mind either. That being said, if removing them leaves room for something better, I'm all in... but there's the rub. Better is in the eye of the beholder, right?
  9. Originally posted by ahn1991:[..]
    +1
  10. Elevation last tour was awful
  11. I didn't have the cringe edition, so I found it enjoyable. However, I will say that Vertigo added much more than Elevation did.

In general, I think having one of the two songs can add something to a set, but you probably don't need both.

12. i can't wait