Experience and Innocence tour
Legs (3): Promo tour, Leg 1: North America, Leg 2: Europe
Shows: 79
  1. Originally posted by MattG:I'll take it any way I can get it, but I'm betting we get a phoned-in semi-acoustic performance of it instead of just a full electric delivery.
    Agreed. Wishing for electric, but even if it's semi-acoustic, it's still better than something Sweetest Thing lol
  2. I’d also be happy for a semi acoustic version. It’s one of they songs that I don’t have a preference how it’s performed as long as it’s in full. I still think acoustic wild horses requires more attention than the likes of elevation,desire etc lyrically bono has more to remember and there’s more chord changes for edge. Not saying that makes it unplayable, I do think they’ll at least give it a go, but just that whatever way it’s done requires more practice than certain songs that have showed up a lot in the past.
  3. Originally posted by deanallison:I’d also be happy for a semi acoustic version. It’s one of they songs that I don’t have a preference how it’s performed as long as it’s in full. I still think acoustic wild horses requires more attention than the likes of elevation,desire etc lyrically bono has more to remember and there’s more chord changes for edge. Not saying that makes it unplayable, I do think they’ll at least give it a go, but just that whatever way it’s done requires more practice than certain songs that have showed up a lot in the past.
    It's in no way more complicated than, let's say, Stuck In A Moment (which Edge plays in an unusual tuning, btw, and that surely requires more attention and effort). Wild Horses is just G, D, C chords all the way through except for the bridge, which then again isn't particullarly complicated (just Am, Em and an unusual swift to F major at "the do(F)ors you open I just can't close").

I am specially surprised to see Wild Horses being rehearsed because they explicitely said they never got it right, neither in studio nor live... So who knows if this will be the right time, finally
  4. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    It's in no way more complicated than, let's say, Stuck In A Moment (which Edge plays in an unusual tuning, btw, and that surely requires more attention and effort). Wild Horses is just G, D, C chords all the way through except for the bridge, which then again isn't particullarly complicated (just Am, Em and an unusual swift to F major at "the do(F)ors you open I just can't close").

I am specially surprised to see Wild Horses being rehearsed because they explicitely said they never got it right, neither in studio nor live... So who knows if this will be the right time, finally
    Yeah stuck in a moment is a good comparison in fairness, although i think it is the chord changes during the bridge that maybe make it slightly trickier, not particularly difficult but easier to forget. Maybe it just needs to be rehearsed and played regularly enough for them to nail it every night as generally theyre pretty solid at stuck but they made the odd mistake on wild horses previously. Btw is it not G Bm c for the choruses? Not that it makes it any harder but just that’s the way I play it.
  5. The other thing to think about is U2 might be trying to work out the length of sone songs to accompany with video e.t.c for the overall production.
  6. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    Yeah stuck in a moment is a good comparison in fairness, although i think it is the chord changes during the bridge that maybe make it slightly trickier, not particularly difficult but easier to forget. Maybe it just needs to be rehearsed and played regularly enough for them to nail it every night as generally theyre pretty solid at stuck but they made the odd mistake on wild horses previously. Btw is it not G Bm c for the choruses? Not that it makes it any harder but just that’s the way I play it.
    i agree with Sergio, for me at least the G-D-C/G-C progression is what I am used to. But a Bm might work instead of the D right?
  7. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    ......... I am specially surprised to see Wild Horses being rehearsed because they explicitely said they never got it right, neither in studio nor live... So who knows if this will be the right time, finally

They might! It's even rather likely, because they are Experienced now!
  8. Originally posted by guykirk9:[..]
    i agree with Sergio, for me at least the G-D-C/G-C progression is what I am used to. But a Bm might work instead of the D right?
    Both sound right to me but it does seem like the GDC progression is officially correct after all. I’ll blame my uncle as he taught me it years ago and I just thought it sounded good lol. Anyway they better play the thing now after all this chat about it.
  9. I watched an acoustic WGRYWH from the Vertigo Tour (Minneapolis, I think) and the crowd reaction when Bono sings "You're dangerous..." was thunderous. I think U2 has pandered a little more toward the "casual concertgoer" with the IE/JT tours, and I think the pendulum swings both ways...they pander, so the "casuals" come out. I doubt it would get as big of a reaction on this tour, but I hope we'll see.

On the flipside, I then watched the ZooTV Rotterdam performance, and the completely immersive, wall-of-sound coming from The Edge throughout the verses is just stunning. As always, I will enjoy every moment of the shows I see on EI, but I can't help but think they're missing a huge opportunity if they play it acoustic.

Just because people aren't as familiar with the song doesn't mean that if you do it true and right, people wouldn't still be blown away by it. Some of the best concert memories for me have been songs I didn't previously know, that I was Googling lyrics of, or searching the setlist for, just to obsess over the song for the rest of my life.

But if it's just a drab acoustic number in the middle, people will take it as a piss break and the reaction will temper.

Please U2, don't phone this one in! Such a big opportunity!

10. The crowd are well into it here anyway