1. just out of curiosity, anyone knows why larry uses red and white sticks when he plays all i want is you?
  2. Brushes?
  3. They’re called Hot Rods softer sticks they are used more for a quieter sound as opposed to normal drum sticks. Think 2001 was the first time he switched to them for this song
  4. He used them also in the beautiful She's a mystery to me, under the brooklyn bridge. Guess that was 2001 too. I love hot rods, use them all the time.
  5. Originally posted by noiseless:He used them also in the beautiful She's a mystery to me, under the brooklyn bridge. Guess that was 2001 too. I love hot rods, use them all the time.
    2004 but yeah, it's nice to see him change for softer songs.
  6. Originally posted by ConorMac93:[..]
    They’re called Hot Rods softer sticks they are used more for a quieter sound as opposed to normal drum sticks. Think 2001 was the first time he switched to them for this song
    thanks! Looks like also during The Late Late Omagh Tribute Show in 1998
  7. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    I've had this tab open in my Chrome browser for 3 months and finally got to watch it. Very interesting, thanks a lot for this It's always great to see a musician you like talking about the musicians he likes, and even better because most of them coincide with yours You can tell Taylor has a broad and great taste in music. Love his passion for Stewart Copeland.

Haha I hope it was worth the wait. It really is very interesting to hear Taylor talk so passionately about all the music he's been inspired by. And it's always nice to hear Larry getting some praise.
  8. This got me thinking about which other songs Larry has used hot rods for. The studio tracks that first spring to mind are The Ground Beneath Her Feet and Yahweh. It sounds to me like he used them for The Wanderer, If You Wear That Velvet Dress and Sleep Like A Baby Tonight too. Also, I think Larry probably used hot rods in the studio when recording Song for Someone but he seemed to opt for standard sticks when playing the song live.

The studio versions of Drowning Man, Promenade, All I Want Is You and Love Rescue Me all have softer drum sounds as well but I'd say he probably used brushes for those tracks. If you watch the Sydney Lovetown show, you can see Larry using brushes for All I Want Is You and the first half of Love Rescue Me (before he switches to standard sticks).

As far as I can tell, the PopMart Tour was the first time Larry used hot rods live. You can see him using them for All I Want Is You and If You Wear That Velvet Dress in the PopMart: Live from Mexico City film. In fact, when you watch If You Wear That Velvet Dress, you can see Larry holding a normal stick in his right hand and a hot rod in his left hand.

I don’t suppose anyone’s particularly interested in any of this but I thought I’d get it off my chest anyway haha.
  9. Originally posted by hello:[..]
    This got me thinking about which other songs Larry has used hot rods for. The studio tracks that first spring to mind are The Ground Beneath Her Feet and Yahweh. It sounds to me like he used them for The Wanderer, If You Wear That Velvet Dress and Sleep Like A Baby Tonight too. Also, I think Larry probably used hot rods in the studio when recording Song for Someone but he seemed to opt for standard sticks when playing the song live.

The studio versions of Drowning Man, Promenade, All I Want Is You and Love Rescue Me all have softer drum sounds as well but I'd say he probably used brushes for those tracks. If you watch the Sydney Lovetown show, you can see Larry using brushes for All I Want Is You and the first half of Love Rescue Me (before he switches to standard sticks).

As far as I can tell, the PopMart Tour was the first time Larry used hot rods live. You can see him using them for All I Want Is You and If You Wear That Velvet Dress in the PopMart: Live from Mexico City film. In fact, when you watch If You Wear That Velvet Dress, you can see Larry holding a normal stick in his right hand and a hot rod in his left hand.

I don’t suppose anyone’s particularly interested in any of this but I thought I’d get it off my chest anyway haha.
    Really interesting stuff. I didn't know he changed drumsticks halfway through a song, that's something else!
  10. Originally posted by hello:[..]
    This got me thinking about which other songs Larry has used hot rods for. The studio tracks that first spring to mind are The Ground Beneath Her Feet and Yahweh. It sounds to me like he used them for The Wanderer, If You Wear That Velvet Dress and Sleep Like A Baby Tonight too. Also, I think Larry probably used hot rods in the studio when recording Song for Someone but he seemed to opt for standard sticks when playing the song live.

I'm pretty confident Crumbs From Your Table is played with hot rods. The share sound is just a little softer than I think you'd get from a stick.

Also Lights of Home is a combo of a mallet for the first part of the song and sticks for the second half. The BBC srssion and Berlin DVD are good visual examples.

11. Yeah, I think he must have switched from the brushes to the sticks during the "sha la la la" section, but sadly you don't see him doing it in the video haha. The image I've attached shows two screenshots from the same performance of Love Rescue Me. On the left, you can see the brushes Larry uses for most of the song while on the right you can see him using standard sticks for the bigger sounding "I said love..." part onwards.