1. Personally , I love this U2 record, for all of its beautiful music and for all of its madness. It is UNIQUE.
    Just like the many faces of the band who created its unique
    sound and the songs on it. I also think the songs are finished as they are, although
    the artists can always go back to them and re-do them once again ( if they wish).
    That is what most Disc-jockeys do when they create a "remix", they re-do the songs.
    But the original versions will always be THE real thing.

No artist or musician can (or could) ever create the "perfect" masterpiece.
    Nothing is perfect, ever. There will always be a critic who does not like certains
    things about it, or does not understand the artists point of view of his/her creation. No person is ever satisfied
    with the finished "product".
    We have to take time to admire its beauty, to listen closely to its melody and sound textures.
    Hey... not even Leonardo DaVinci was happy when he finished painting the Mona Lisa, yet many people
    consider that paitning to be one of the worlds finest masterpieces... but I don´t like it that much

Take it for what it is (the POP album), it is UNIQUE in the history of U2 song-making journey....
    ... "it´s a musical journey" (as Larry Mullen Jr. once said)
  2. IGWSHA
  3. A top 3 U2 album for me. Not to many tracks sound unfinished but the playboy mansion and last night on earth definitely stick out to me. I think Mofo while it is one of my favorites on the album wasn’t exactly complete but when they hit the later live shows on popmart I think we got to hear the complete Mofo. Idk I love pop the way it is but I would like to hear what the bands full idea was for the album.
  4. I think they wanted to make an original album and have a lot of fun during the live tour! I think they succeeded because you have to have a lot of boldness to release an album as experimental when you are the biggest rock band in the world !
    I still remember the presentation of the Popmart tour at Kmart
  5. Originally posted by kharbouch:[..]
    rapidly number 1 in the usa and 8 million albums sold worldwide is not a failure
    I think now the band would dream to sell 8 million albums
    It was a failure in the US by their standards it only sold 1.5 million copies there, Achtung Baby did 10 million and even Zooropa a stop gap album sold more ,the tour struggled to sell out stateside often playing to half empty stadiums particularly on the 2nd leg and the singles made very little impact via the airwaves and on the charts.Hence the back to basics approach with ALTYCLB.
  6. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]
    It was a failure in the US by their standards it only sold 1.5 million copies there, Achtung Baby did 10 million and even Zooropa a stop gap album sold more ,the tour struggled to sell out stateside often playing to half empty stadiums particularly on the 2nd leg and the singles made very little impact via the airwaves and on the charts.Hence the back to basics approach with ALTYCLB.
    PopMart was a huge success in terms of revenue, grossing US $ 171,677,024. On 20 September 1997, the band performed in front of 150,000 people in Reggio Emilia, Italy, and set a new world record for having the most expected at a concert for a single performer. The PopMart Tour's five legs and 93 shows attracted about 3.9 million fans !!!
    failure in the usa
    we don't care a bit, right?

7. Agreed. To me it sounds like they just grabbed an unfinished mix and threw it in the album slot. Regarding Please, I like the baseline and the chord progression at the beginning, makes it tense and "uneasy" imho.

Critical success or numbers crunching doesn't mean anything if the band doesn't like the end result or how they arrived with that end result. The whole thing from recording to touring left a bad taste in their mouths, hence the reapplying for best band in the world," etc with ATYCLB.

8. Wow cool find never noticed that before

9. Happens on a lot of songs. During ultra violet a drummer losse his drumstick and it’s on the album...
  10. Originally posted by bonoschild:[..]
    Agreed. To me it sounds like they just grabbed an unfinished mix and threw it in the album slot. Regarding Please, I like the baseline and the chord progression at the beginning, makes it tense and "uneasy" imho.

Critical success or numbers crunching doesn't mean anything if the band doesn't like the end result or how they arrived with that end result. The whole thing from recording to touring left a bad taste in their mouths, hence the reapplying for best band in the world," etc with ATYCLB.
    Sure at the time they were telling everyone how it was their best Album ever ,all this negativity about it been unfinished didn't come out until years later, I don't buy that it wasn't finished they spent a long time making it and it was supposed to come out Oct/Nov 96 but was put back Edge always says that U2 albums never really get finished they just get released with POP I imagine they had many different variations of the song's but were unsure as to which ones to go with as most of the song's arrangements were changed when performed live or released as singles, for me the album is one of their best and has really grown on people who didn't get into it when it was first released.
  11. Originally posted by Pipo:[..]

Happens on a lot of songs. During ultra violet a drummer losse his drumstick and it’s on the album...
    When in the song?