1. Okay, so I'm legitimately asking....how is this song directly connected to her? When I read the lyrics, I don't see the connection. The song / album are dedicated to her, but why? Please don't go off on theories about how the band is trying to distance themselves, or the validity of the song, best performances, those silly masks, or whether you love it or hate it etc, that's not what this OP is after . I'm up for opinions on the connection, or actual facts & articles! Okay U2Starters....go.
  2. Lol always wondered this too, never quite understood “home is where the hurt is”
  3. I always thought that the 'open cage' referred to her house, as she was under house arrest. She could open the door, even the windows, step on the torch- but could not leave that house.
  4. Originally posted by mattfromcanada:Okay, so I'm legitimately asking....how is this song directly connected to her? […] I'm up for opinions on the connection, or actual facts & articles! Okay U2Starters....go.
    Have you already looked up the Wiki entry of "Walk On"?

In March 2000, U2 were awarded the Freedom of the City of Dublin at a ceremony where the Burmese academic Aung San Suu Kyi was honoured but absent. The band had never heard of Suu Kyi prior to that and soon developed an interest in learning about her. The group found out that her activism and fighting for freedom in Burma led to her being under house arrest since 1989 (a sentence that was later ended in 2010).
    "Walk On" was subsequently written about and dedicated to Suu Kyi. It was written in the form of a supporting, uplifting anthem, praising her for activism. Bono explained that the song is about "nobility and personal sacrifice, about doing what's right, even if your heart is telling you otherwise." He compares the subject of the song to a Biblical passage in Corinthians.
    You might also want to check the book by Niall Stokes - U2 Into The Heart: the stories behind every song.

I don't have it, but someone might scan the page/pages with the entry on "Walk On"?