Joshua Tree Tour 2019
Legs (1): New Zealand, Australia and Asia
Shows: 15
  1. Originally posted by podiumboy:Brisbane and Melbourne are good. Auckland only drew 69,000, which means that the 2nd show at best had roughly 30,000. They really did a good job of spreading that out.
    Yeah and giving away tickets last minute too
  2. 69000 for 2 shows in New Zealand is really good
  3. It is. It's just a shame they can’t be more humble and tell us the real maximum capacity. Everyone knows the 2nd night wasn’t a sell out. However I’m not blaming the band members and it’s the same for other acts claiming sell outs when it isn’t.
  4. Well in 2016 Coldplay had a sold out show there at 39,000-ish. So let’s just assume that’s the capacity, that would mean that night 2 had roughly 30,000 in attendance. That’s not hateful, and compared to a lot of other artists it’s pretty good! But it is much less than U2’s last 2 visits to New Zealand (84,000 in 2006, 93,000 in 2010). However, I still believe they sold more tickets in New Zealand this year than they did in Zoo TV.

Taylor Swift sold 46,000 at that same Brisbane stadium, so U2 did pretty good there. I know Ed Sheehan did more, but his stage is smaller and probably allowed for a larger capacity, plus he’s more popular.
  5. One of the many reasons Auckland 2 might not have sold out was the threat of rain. I remember waking on Saturday morning, looking at the rain radar, sensing the humidity in the air and noting the direction of the wind and coming to the conclusion that it was probably going to pour down (the Met Service predicted it would, too).

Luckily, the rain held off, the first drops of rain hitting my car windscreen 45 minutes after the final song.
  6. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    It is. It's just a shame they can’t be more humble and tell us the real maximum capacity. Everyone knows the 2nd night wasn’t a sell out. However I’m not blaming the band members and it’s the same for other acts claiming sell outs when it isn’t.
    maybe technically it was?? I found a pic on twitter showing that (some of the) empty were not even on sale (date of picture 25 october)... apart from those blocks the stadium looks quite packed.. some of those blocks were also covered of for night 1..

7. There are so many ways to fudge the numbers to ensure a 'sell out'. Sure the stadium might seat 45,000 but if you only ever put 37,000 tickets on sale and they all sell then you've got yourself a sell out.

Sell out does not equal capacity.
  8. Well... It still equals the "set capacity"...
  9. I have noticed a lot of people buying tickets last minute for this tour . Just checked Perth and that’s now down to low availability. Sold loads over the past few days , down to the last few hundred
  10. Posted this in tha Auckland topic btw, some numbers of other major acts in recent years (some of them played more than 1 show so I averaged):

- Paul Mccartney - 34,901
    - Foo Fighters - 35,000
    - Adele - +/- 43,000
    - Bruce Springsteen - 33,952
    - Coldplay 2012 - 37,394
    - Colplay 2016 - 39,644
    - Justin Bieber - 35,420
    - Taylor Swift - 35,749

If U2 did +/- 70k for 2 shows they did a normal job I think is what I was thinking..
  11. PS.

Adele did a "360" type show, so that probably explains the higher attendance
  12. Originally posted by Ricku2:[..]
    maybe technically it was?? I found a pic on twitter showing that (some of the) empty were not even on sale (date of picture 25 october)... apart from those blocks the stadium looks quite packed.. some of those blocks were also covered of for night 1..

[image]

[YouTube Video]
    Of course it ‘technically’ was, that’s why it’s been listed as one but this is not reality. It’s a marketing thing to sound good, ‘U2’s sold out 2019 JT tour’ when it wasn’t sold out. It is what it is, other artists do it so u2 aren’t any worse than anyone else but if you attended a concert with someone and they pointed out an empty seat and you said ‘well technically it isn’t empty’ they’re going to look at you funny. Anyway the numbers are good 69k is good going but the 2nd show wasn’t sold out.