Joshua Tree Tour 2019
Legs (1): New Zealand, Australia and Asia
Shows: 15
  1. According to the U2Songs "Updated: May 15, 2019" it has a specific mention: "multiple sources that the announcement is likely to be Monday morning".

Just wonder do we have a chance to know a little bit more information which date is most likely to be the Announcement Day?
  2. Originally posted by taker:According to the U2Songs "Updated: May 15, 2019" it has a specific mention: "multiple sources that the announcement is likely to be Monday morning".

Just wonder do we have a chance to know a little bit more information which date is most likely to be the Announcement Day?
    If U2songs posts "late this week", what date would you reckon to be the date?
  3. Originally posted by taker:According to the U2Songs "Updated: May 15, 2019" it has a specific mention: "multiple sources that the announcement is likely to be Monday morning".

That was posted on May 15 when the announcement was planned for Monday May 20 still. It didn't happen. If you look at the more recent post we say late this week. It wont be on Monday.
  4. Originally posted by u2wanderer1:[..]
    That was posted on May 15 when the announcement was planned for Monday May 20 still. It didn't happen. If you look at the more recent post we say late this week. It wont be on Monday.
    Assuming it won’t be on the weekend, my guess it’s either Thurs or Fri.
  5. Originally posted by u2wanderer1:[..]
    I get the impression that people think the timing of the announcement is up to U2. Live Nation is a multi level organization dealing with many events, artists etc. Yes U2 has some pull there due to the size of the band, but Live Nation do still have to assign people to work on this project which will take them away from other things.

Announcement writers, graphic designers, translators, technical staff updating websites, someone communicating with the press, etc. There's a lot of moving pieces when it comes to an announcement and the launch of a tour. And you have to have the staff ready to deal with things after it is announced as well as you will quickly go into presales and sales. Each venue is going to have to be ready with ticketing, local presales, etc. U2Com will have their team answering questions and assisting where they can. Some venues still do in person ticket sales and need to ensure they have the windows staffed. Even U2s manager Oseary likely has a bunch of things to juggle right now as his other main artist Madonna is launching a new album and a tour.
    When you talk about „people“ and might think about me specifically, yes, then your impression in deed is absolutly wrong. I‘ve been working in and around events and PR now for many years now. I know, which efforts months and years before a kick-off concert are necessary. And I just can only emphasize that all your thoughts are correct or reasonable, but in the end, it is very complex but also very simple: You have a project. You have your time schedule and agenda. And, I can assure you, when really everything is ready to go, when all your to dos are really done (and for a Stadium Tour like this, that should be a lot of business) as „rumours“ here claim - you go. Or: Not everything is green. Then you can‘t go (for now!). Until everything has been solved. But then, dear rumour sharers, ask your sources: because then, not everything is set in stone. Not everything is 100% go. So either we get this announcement sooner than later or there is a reason for the silence. Two options. Two roads.
  6. Originally posted by ZOOTVTOURist:[..]
    When you talk about „people“ and might think about me specifically, yes, then your impression in deed is absolutly wrong. I‘ve been working in and around events and PR now for many years now. I know, which efforts months and years before a kick-off concert are necessary. And I just can only emphasize that all your thoughts are correct or reasonable, but in the end, it is very complex but also very simple: You have a project. You have your time schedule and agenda. And, I can assure you, when really everything is ready to go, when all your to dos are really done (and for a Stadium Tour like this, that should be a lot of business) as „rumours“ here claim - you go. Or: Not everything is green. Then you can‘t go (for now!). Until everything has been solved. But then, dear rumour sharers, ask your sources: because then, not everything is set in stone. Not everything is 100% go. So either we get this announcement sooner than later or there is a reason for the silence. Two options. Two roads.
    No I actually meant people. As in not you. Seeing a lot of people wondering why they don't just post on their webpage that a tour is coming etc.
  7. Is that correct that as soon as everything is ready to go they would just announce it? I feel like there’s too much importance placed on timing these days for that to be the case and that they do hold off for whatever reason even when everything is ready whether that be by a day or 2 or a week. I don’t have any inside knowledge though but that’s just what i think.
  8. Originally posted by deanallison:Is that correct that as soon as everything is ready to go they would just announce it? I feel like there’s too much importance placed on timing these days for that to be the case and that they do hold off for whatever reason even when everything is ready whether that be by a day or 2 or a week. I don’t have any inside knowledge though but that’s just what i think.
    A „timing“ has to be fixed in advance. Long before. Again: There is no perfect moment. There is a fixed announcement date. Is this in reach, because everything is ready, you go then. But you do not delay and delay and delay. Only when things are not fixed. Then: You do not announce. We will see soon.
  9. Originally posted by ZOOTVTOURist:[..]
    A „timing“ has to be fixed in advance. Long before. Again: There is no perfect moment. There is a fixed announcement date. Is this in reach, because everything is ready, you go then. But you do not delay and delay and delay. Only when things are not fixed. Then: You do not announce. We will see soon.
    That makes sense now, so we’re not saying they suddenly complete everything then go right quickly announce we’re saying they pick a date then work towards getting everything done before that date so they can make the announcement. That is sort of what I expected, just seeking clarification.
  10. Originally posted by ZOOTVTOURist:[..]
    They clearly have delayed it. More than once in fact.
  11. Another question perhaps it can be answered not specifically in the case of this tour as that information might not be able to shared but do insiders even from previous jobs etc have a sort of a list of common reasons a tour announcement might be delayed at a seemingly advanced stage?
  12. Originally posted by deanallison:Another question perhaps it can be answered not specifically in the case of this tour as that information might not be able to shared but do insiders even from previous jobs etc have a sort of a list of common reasons a tour announcement might be delayed at a seemingly advanced stage?
    A few I can think of. Not all ticket sales procedures ready (eg Japanese promoter hasn't been able to facilitate U2.com subscriber presales in time), conflict with another big tour announcement (of another promoter that they weren't aware about before), Ticketmaster systems having issues. Or posters and blog posts not being ready in time.

If you want to announce a tour certain things must be ready, and you align this with your vendors and other relevant parties. You agree with them that these things must be ready by this and this date. So many dependencies. And with all big projects, dependencies failing to be ready in time are quite common, so then you delay your launch.

It's not much different than launching a new version of U2start for instance