2019-11-15 - Melbourne
Tour: Joshua Tree Tour 2019
Songs played: 26
Audio recordings: 1
Videos: 1
  1. Originally posted by Remy:[..]
    They do. They even removed their old GA policy from their website. Probably after U2 security stepped in.

Wristbands will be issues by venue based on this list it seems.
    Sounds like U2’s own security like to try and make sure there ‘pals’ get there way. Perhaps they are the biggest problem in all of this as a fan led system only has power when it’s honoured by security. Hopefully Sydney stands there ground based on what they’ve stated on the matter so far.
  2. U2s plane landed into Melbourne at 7pm tonight (funnily enough same time as me). Loads of pictures on Facebook of edge and Bono meeting fans.
  3. Right, so you were probably one of the Superfans that got moved from the rail when they were filming the Elevation DVD in Boston as they wanted a more enthusiastic crowd in the front rows and then sat down in the pit as a protest I'd say most big acts attract these sorts of fans who see the tours multiple times but I don't get the logic of queuing days in advance for a gig the sound and visuals are better mid way in a stadium and if your looking for Bono to stage dive into your arms forget it those days are long gone
  4. Originally posted by CrashCaderz:what happens to the Melbournians who have to work leading up to Friday, already get disadvantaged from people who have already seen the shows and just take advantage from it. I hope the stadium doesn’t honour it
    But, but, the check-in system is fair & equal for everybody....... NOT! It favours often wealthy (but not always) tourists who are staying near the stadium. Who can take time out of their busy site seeing schedule to do a 1pm check-in. Locals working can't do that for days in advance. It stinks!

Camping out worked perfectly in Brisbane. Only 30 were prepared to stay overnight & earn their spot in line, most of these check-in wankers were not. Locals could arrive after work (taking the show day off), & camp out for #30, or arrive at 4:30am on show day for #50.

With the check-in arriving the evening before the show could get that local a number in the hundreds. It's a scam!
  5. Originally posted by popmarter:Right, so you were probably one of the Superfans that got moved from the rail when they were filming the Elevation DVD in Boston as they wanted a more enthusiastic crowd in the front rows and then sat down in the pit as a protest I'd say most big acts attract these sorts of fans who see the tours multiple times but I don't get the logic of queuing days in advance for a gig the sound and visuals are better mid way in a stadium and if your looking for Bono to stage dive into your arms forget it those days are long gone
    Not sure who you're aiming this at. But for me, mid-pitch may equal better sound, but it also equals poor visibility....... vertically challenged.

Different strokes for different folks. I camped out for Brisbane & had a great time. Slept well (until after 4am, when noisy inconsiderate people turned up), was on the grass, in the shade (gazebos were set up for us by security). Water, free sunscreen, charging ports, misting cooling fans. Couldn't have asked for anything else.

Worth it? Of course! Great spot at the top of the tree. Perfect for the 1-2-3-4 punch opening set. Would I enjoy these songs from further back? Yes, of course. But there's no way I'd feel the same sense of exhilaration, as when the band is right there in front of you, belting out these tunes. Happy brain chemicals in overload. It's addictive!

I'm glad you & others don't share this view. Would only make it tougher to get these prized spots!
  6. Originally posted by ddarroch:[..]
    But, but, the check-in system is fair & equal for everybody....... NOT! It favours often wealthy (but not always) tourists who are staying near the stadium. Who can take time out of their busy site seeing schedule to do a 1pm check-in. Locals working can't do that for days in advance. It stinks!

Camping out worked perfectly in Brisbane. Only 30 were prepared to stay overnight & earn their spot in line, most of these check-in wankers were not. Locals could arrive after work (taking the show day off), & camp out for #30, or arrive at 4:30am on show day for #50.

With the check-in arriving the evening before the show could get that local a number in the hundreds. It's a scam!
    Couldn’t have phrased it better
  7. Originally posted by SJKamal:U2s plane landed into Melbourne at 7pm tonight (funnily enough same time as me). Loads of pictures on Facebook of edge and Bono meeting fans.
    Link?
  8. So do we think they'll be doing the first 500 wrist band entry for GA like with Brisbane? And my goal would be to get one, any number under 500 and I'll be happy, hopeful of getting to Marvel by 11am.
  9. I'm sure this has been said 100 times but I'll say it again. As an Australian fan who doesn't have the capacity to get there before Friday it annoys me that international 'superfans' fans who have seen U2 plenty of times since the band last came to Australia feel the need to do this, putting us locals at a disadvantage.

Is it possible just to completely ignore the fan run list when I arrive in Melbourne on Friday morning? Could they realistically do anything about it?

If not I might just turn up later in the afternoon, I'm sure I'll still get a really good spot even if I turn up around 2/3pm and wait until the gates open.
  10. Originally posted by JRoz:I'm sure this has been said 100 times but I'll say it again. As an Australian fan who doesn't have the capacity to get there before Friday it annoys me that international 'superfans' fans who have seen U2 plenty of times since the band last came to Australia feel the need to do this, putting us locals at a disadvantage.

Is it possible just to completely ignore the fan run list when I arrive in Melbourne on Friday morning? Could they realistically do anything about it?

If not I might just turn up later in the afternoon, I'm sure I'll still get a really good spot even if I turn up around 2/3pm and wait until the gates open.
    I don’t think the point is whether or not they’ve seen the band before or not or where the people are from really. It’s a case of the system not being fair in general. There is no reason why a venue can’t enforce a policy of queuing on the day only and if people do start a system prior to that ignoring it. Sydney seem like the first venue that are directly challenging the system going by the wording of there queuing policy. I hope they go through with it and show people that it does work, although we already know it works as queues have been around for a long time and in large numbers and these systems generally aren’t used just with u2 it seems and perhaps a few other artists who are in the minority.
  11. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    I don’t think the point is whether or not they’ve seen the band before or not or where the people are from really. It’s a case of the system not being fair in general. There is no reason why a venue can’t enforce a policy of queuing on the day only and if people do start a system prior to that ignoring it. Sydney seem like the first venue that are directly challenging the system going by the wording of there queuing policy. I hope they go through with it and show people that it does work, although we already know it works as queues have been around for a long time and in large numbers and these systems generally aren’t used just with u2 it seems and perhaps a few other artists who are in the minority.
    Yeah I agree it's mainly about it being an unfair system but I think there is a special frustration for us Australian fans who haven't had a chance to see U2 locally for 9 years. The reason why I singled out international fans who have seen them lots is because it seems like they are the ones running these fan lines; sure doesn't seem like there are many locals involved in this. By no means will it ruin my experience as some have said over on Facebook but it is disappointing this is happening.
  12. Originally posted by JRoz:[..]
    Yeah I agree it's mainly about it being an unfair system but I think there is a special frustration for us Australian fans who haven't had a chance to see U2 locally for 9 years. The reason why I singled out international fans who have seen them lots is because it seems like they are the ones running these fan lines; sure doesn't seem like there are many locals involved in this. By no means will it ruin my experience as some have said over on Facebook but it is disappointing this is happening.
    Don't try and skip the superfans que do you not realise they are more entitled to be near the stage than some Johnny come lately who hasn't bothered following them around the world on their parents credit cards.