1. Those Auckland shows still made them $7m. I don't think the management really care if the worst seat in the house was being sold for £3 a couple of hours before the show. Those shows were still a "success".
  2. Originally posted by SJKamal:Those Auckland shows still made them $7m. I don't think the management really care if the worst seat in the house was being sold for £3 a couple of hours before the show. Those shows were still a "success".
    Exactly, especially when the 2nd show probably didn’t cost that much to put on when the staging would have already been set up. Different if they’re playing 1 night at a venue that’s massively struggling sales wise they’ve got a lot more costs to worry about then than what it costs to put on a 2nd night.
  3. Regardless of the pandemic, U2 would have been on a several year break anyway. 2019 marked their third straight year of touring and the end to a 5 year period in which they toured four times and released two new albums.

If history is anything to go by there won't be a new album let alone a new tour for a few years, at which point the pandemic will be less severe (in some parts of the world anyway) and U2 will be free to perform again.
  4. Originally posted by ASortOfDesire:Regardless of the pandemic, U2 would have been on a several year break anyway. 2019 marked their third straight year of touring and the end to a 5 year period in which they toured four times and released two new albums.

If history is anything to go by there won't be a new album let alone a new tour for a few years, at which point the pandemic will be less severe (in some parts of the world anyway) and U2 will be free to perform again.
    Early-mid 2023 at the very latest would have been when we could have expected an album. That’s 5-5.5 years since SOE which would give or take match there longest gap between albums. So I guess a tour in 2023 of a new album could be the plan. This year would probably only have been AB30 or next year Zootv2, this year is a non starter I would say now, next year a maybe but probably still unlikely.
  5. As long as they give us punk rock from Venus I'm fine with it
  6. Originally posted by SJKamal:Whilst I agree that picturing stadiums at full capacity is hard now, aren't the Super Bowl having 20K fans back this Sunday? And WWE are planning to have 20K fans in attendance in April. Slowly but surely the World will get back to normal, and with U2 providing one of the highest incomes they will definitely be involved. 2022 seems very pessimistic, and even 2023 could be a stretch, but we will see them again.

Plus you know they supposedly signed a new 10 year deal with LiveNation right before Covid started.

I would love to know what their end of the bargain is, regarding time frames, albums to release, touring, etc.. yeah Covid put a wrench in everything, but a contract is a contract. Still wish they had released (or maybe would?) release an album during these times. Would be a good shot in the arm for interest in them and, dare I say the four-letter word, relevance LOL
  7. Force majeure in their contract?

In 2020, if it was a normal year, the band would have been active, not touring but doing something.
  8. Originally posted by bonoschild:[..]

I would love to know what their end of the bargain is, regarding time frames, albums to release, touring, etc.. yeah Covid put a wrench in everything, but a contract is a contract. Still wish they had released (or maybe would?) release an album during these times. Would be a good shot in the arm for interest in them and, dare I say the four-letter word, relevance LOL
    A lot of these reissues are probably part of the contract Edge and Adam were plugging ALTYCLB like it was a new album hadn't heard either of them mention it since it's original release in 2000 ,the whole covid crisis has probably altered the terms of the contract and they may have an option to change the contents of it if they aren't allowed tour in the coming years.
  9. Originally posted by bonoschild:[..]

Yeah I wanna know the ins and outs too. Whether there's certain criteria they need to meet regarding tour gross, albums, amount of tours etc. The new 10 year deal they were going to sign probably covered 2 albums and 2 tours?
  10. Maybe LiveNation doesn’t see a bright future in the music industry and voids all contracts on their way to file for bankruptcy.
  11. Originally posted by fastcars:Maybe LiveNation doesn’t see a bright future in the music industry and voids all contracts on their way to file for bankruptcy.
    If they don’t do something soon that’s what is going to happen.
  12. Once everyone gets over themselves about covid, people will want to go out, have fun, enjoy themselves, mix with other human beings. We cannot stay imprisoned in our homes forever