1. So far then

1. Reggio Emilia 97 (150k)
    2. Devore 83 (125k)
    3. Madrid 87 (100-120k unconfirmed)
    4. Pasadena 09 (97k)
    5. Stade De France 2010 (96k) (also played 2 nights in 2009 to an average of just over 93k a night)

Glastonbury probably could be in a battle for 3rd as I’ve read the main stage generally holds 100k people which I’m guessing is an estimate again with the nature of the set up.

2. If memory serves, I think the Mexico City shows on May 14 and 15 each had over 100,000 at them, and then the first show (which was added later) had about 70,000 or so. Somebody posted that awhile ago, but I don’t know how to find it.

Edit: just looked, 360 MC had 282,978, which would be 94,000-Ish over 3 shows. But the word is that the 3rd show to go on sale (May 11, technically the first show) didn’t fully sell out.
  3. Originally posted by podiumboy:[..]

If memory serves, I think the Mexico City shows on May 14 and 15 each had over 100,000 at them, and then the first show (which was added later) had about 70,000 or so. Somebody posted that awhile ago, but I don’t know how to find it.

Edit: just looked, 360 MC had 282,978, which would be 94,000-Ish over 3 shows. But the word is that the 3rd show to go on sale (May 11, technically the first show) didn’t fully sell out.
    You could well be right then about 2 of they shows selling particularly high maybe never going to have confirmed figures unfortunately but definitely worth a mention.
  4. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    You could well be right then about 2 of they shows selling particularly high maybe never going to have confirmed figures unfortunately but definitely worth a mention.
    Pollstar lists all three of those Mexico City shows as sold out.
  5. Could that be with the usual trickery though that’s been spoke about in the past where tickets could be given away and areas sectioned off? It isn’t impossible that 2 nights sold 100k each night and one night selling 82k but still being listed a sell out because of the ‘sold out’ tactics.

Another show worthy of a mention though Johannesburg at 94k on 360 2011 doesn’t make the top 5 but very close. The 3 São Paulo shows also sold just shy of 270k so near enough 90k a night but again that doesn’t mean 2 nights might not have been played in front of bigger crowds. 182k in Barcelona over 2 nights for 360 also is worth a shout. Can’t be more than maybe a dozen occasions in there whole career they’ve played to more than 90k so they’re the best ones to list I guess.
  6. I'm sure years ago people jumped over fences quite easily
  7. It also lists Istanbul and Moscow as being sold out, but we know that wasn’t the case. I remember reading that night 2 Mexico had 108,000, night 3 had 106,000, and the rest was for night one.
  8. The 360 tour was also pretty good about filling in the spaces to make it appear sold out, when it sometimes wasn’t. Take Melbourne, for example. 2006 and 2010, 2 shows both times, same stadium. However, they sold 20,000 more tickets in 2006, even though in 2010 they were utilizing the entire stadium. Yet all those shows appeared to be full to the naked eye.

But believe me, not every 360 show was sold out, even though they reported it as being sold out. The show unattended in Pittsburgh had 55,000 tickets sold, but there were a lot of empty seats in the upper levels of both sides.
  9. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    Could that be with the usual trickery though that’s been spoke about in the past where tickets could be given away and areas sectioned off? It isn’t impossible that 2 nights sold 100k each night and one night selling 82k but still being listed a sell out because of the ‘sold out’ tactics.

Another show worthy of a mention though Johannesburg at 94k on 360 2011 doesn’t make the top 5 but very close. The 3 São Paulo shows also sold just shy of 270k so near enough 90k a night but again that doesn’t mean 2 nights might not have been played in front of bigger crowds. 182k in Barcelona over 2 nights for 360 also is worth a shout. Can’t be more than maybe a dozen occasions in there whole career they’ve played to more than 90k so they’re the best ones to list I guess.
    I don’t know how you’d explain that drastic a difference to Pollstar. It’s the same venue with the same layout for all three shows.

Yes there are often empty seats. But if a ticket it purchased it is considered sold out whether or not someone uses it.

The only other way to get a sell out when it’s not sold out is to have tickets classified as not salable, which would be hard in the case of Mexico where the venue was used for two other shows on the same tour.
  10. Originally posted by u2wanderer1:[..]
    I don’t know how you’d explain that drastic a difference to Pollstar. It’s the same venue with the same layout for all three shows.

Yes there are often empty seats. But if a ticket it purchased it is considered sold out whether or not someone uses it.

The only other way to get a sell out when it’s not sold out is to have tickets classified as not salable, which would be hard in the case of Mexico where the venue was used for two other shows on the same tour.
    Didn’t they have quite drastic differences in 2019 between shows and still listed sell outs overall? And aren’t give aways counted in terms of taking down the overall attendance? They could literally give 20k away and bring the maximum capacity listed down by 20k I’m sure you explained something like that before and then we had a discussion that what if some artist booked Wembley stadium and gave away all bar 10k tickets then the maximum capacity would just be 10k and if they sold them it would still be classed as a 10k sell out. And you were saying you don’t know if there’s a certain percentage there allowed to give away to stop that happening. It might will be on one of the JT 2019 threads we spoke about this.
  11. Wikipedia lists all the EI shows being sold out lol.
  12. U2 and many other artists have been doing that for DECADES. In the case of U2, they started declaring all/most shows as "sold out" (regardless of the number of tickets sold) in 2001 if memory serves. Since then, virtually all of their shows are marked as "sold out" in Billboard and similar sites, whether they sold every single seat in the house or there were literally thousands of tickets still available to purchase on the morning of the gig.

It's a fact, it's not debatable.