1. It is important. It probably reflects Bono's self- described 'lack of progress'. Really.
  2. Would kinda make sense but does that mean the other 3 have plateaued since 97?
  3. Maybe Bono is dead (a la Paul and the Abbey Road cover urban legend) and we are left with the fake Bono look-a-like from the baby in the balloon commercial?
  4. I'd like to believe it came from each member being tasked to choose they're own fav pic of themselves.

But even after they came to the table with their selection(s), you gotta think their were multiple mock-ups done, diff pics arrangements, color vs B+W, diff member quadrants rotated thru, etc.

the 3-1 era did definitely strike me as odd at first, but I love the Pop look for most members and overall think that age is very prime for most men in general. But I fully believe Bono's picture was selected to tie into the book cover (remember the cover physical copies were already manufactured over a year ago, original plan was to be more tied into Surrender book than it ultimately was)