1. great song !

and also "testimony"
  2. Everyone should listen to these tunes They're essentially U2 tracks (they feature the four U2 members plus Daniel Lanois, and obviously Robbie Robertson) and they're simply great songs. Testimony is a bit groovier, more in the line of INXS or Terence Trent D'Arby, but Sweet Fire could 100% pass as an Unforgettable Fire / Joshua Tree outtake.

You can tell that's Larry on the drums, you can tell that's Edge on guitar, you can tell that's Adam on the bass... But without the formal constraints of U2's style and guidelines. They're free and they're enjoying themselves. And last but not least, Bono's vocal delivery on Sweet Fire is absolutely phenomenal and among the best you'll ever hear.

Go find 10 minutes and listen to those.
  3. Originally posted by LikeASong:Everyone should listen to these tunes They're essentially U2 tracks (they feature the four U2 members plus Daniel Lanois, and obviously Robbie Robertson) and they're simply great songs. Testimony is a bit groovier, more in the line of INXS or Terence Trent D'Arby, but Sweet Fire could 100% pass as an Unforgettable Fire / Joshua Tree outtake.

You can tell that's Larry on the drums, you can tell that's Edge on guitar, you can tell that's Adam on the bass... But without the formal constraints of U2's style and guidelines. They're free and they're enjoying themselves. And last but not least, Bono's vocal delivery on Sweet Fire is absolutely phenomenal and among the best you'll ever hear.

Agree 100% - one of my favourite side projects the band has been involved in…and probably the most U2-ish.
  4. Yup, Robbie's family lived about 30 minutes from me and plenty of The Band as well. This was before Robbie moved to LA. Even on Moment of Surrender Lanois describes as "the Simcoe sound" which comes from the band and their great piano player Garth Hudson. His fantastic playing can be heard on "Like a Rolling Stone" live bootleg from Manchester Free Trade Hall in 1966 by Bob Dylan. He plays behind the beat and it sounds incredible.
  5. Originally posted by LikeASong:Everyone should listen to these tunes They're essentially U2 tracks (they feature the four U2 members plus Daniel Lanois, and obviously Robbie Robertson) and they're simply great songs. Testimony is a bit groovier, more in the line of INXS or Terence Trent D'Arby, but Sweet Fire could 100% pass as an Unforgettable Fire / Joshua Tree outtake.

Agree with your every word of your post...... Specially Edge's solo is just pure eargasm !!
  6. Thanks for that article. The Band were brilliant and The Last Waltz is great and had an influence on Rattle And Hum.
  7. Sorry to disappoint (or to raise the doubt, at least) but I've always though the solo on Sweet Fire was actually played by Robbie and not by The Edge. After all, Robbie is credited for guitar on the song's credits (and Bono for vocals AND bass ).
  8. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Sorry to disappoint (or to raise the doubt, at least) but I've always though the solo on Sweet Fire was actually played by Robbie and not by The Edge. After all, Robbie is credited for guitar on the song's credits (and Bono for vocals AND bass ).
    First part Edge and from 4:41 Robbie I think
    Solo sound like stuff from AB.
  9. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Sorry to disappoint (or to raise the doubt, at least) but I've always though the solo on Sweet Fire was actually played by Robbie and not by The Edge. After all, Robbie is credited for guitar on the song's credits (and Bono for vocals AND bass ).
    Bono on bass ?!?!?! What ?!?! That's as impossible as the last solo not by the Edge. Because that solo feels to fit anywhere in the Achtung Baby working tape or that solo also reminds me of U2's 1987 song " Deep in the Heart"'s guitar work by the Edge.

I may be wrong but as long as there's no definite proof that the solo of Sweet Fire of Love is not by the Edge, I will consider it to be Edge's work.
  10. I was speaking from memory but I've checked back the song after some time and there are actually two disctinctive solos that are interlaced.

If one listens with headphones, actually Edge is on the left channel doing Edge-ish stuff and Robbie is on the right doing un-Edge stuff. It's easy to identify.

The first part of the solo (04:07 to 04:25) is Robbie, followed by Edge that takes it from the same high A note (04:25 to 04:40), followed by Robbie (04:40 to 04:47), then Edge again (04:47 to 04:56) and then they finish together.