1. Hello,

I just discovered the 4 disc Rattle and Hum Outtakes set, and was looking to rip it to an audio-only format. However, the audio quality is a bit rough; so I'd like to polish it up a bit, for personal use. (Certain parts sound like a speaker is being shaken to be made rapidly louder and softer, and there's some background hiss which I'd like to minimize).

Though, I've never touched audio editing software (Audacity), apart from splitting tracks or applying fades.

Are there any guides, either written or videoed, which you would recommend to a beginner like me? I'm also fine to read through docs, if there are any specific functions which you would recommend.

If there are any similar threads here which list anything, please let me know; I don't mean to create any duplicate threads.

Thanks
  2. Originally posted by SlightedRadio91:Hello,

I just discovered the 4 disc Rattle and Hum Outtakes set, and was looking to rip it to an audio-only format. However, the audio quality is a bit rough; so I'd like to polish it up a bit, for personal use. (Certain parts sound like a speaker is being shaken to be made rapidly louder and softer, and there's some background hiss which I'd like to minimize).

Though, I've never touched audio editing software (Audacity), apart from splitting tracks or applying fades.

Are there any guides, either written or videoed, which you would recommend to a beginner like me? I'm also fine to read through docs, if there are any specific functions which you would recommend.

If there are any similar threads here which list anything, please let me know; I don't mean to create any duplicate threads.

Thanks
    Hey there,

I'm a professional filmmaker/editor and I use all Adobe programs for my work...with Adobe Audition being a GREAT option for this kind of project. And I believe you can buy licenses for single programs in the Adobe Suite, so you don't have pay for the programs you don't use.

Honestly, there are so many tutorials on YouTube that can help you out. And eliminating the background hiss should be fairly simple.

If you're looking for actual online courses, Skillshare is a great resource, although it's paid.

Best of luck!
  3. Thanks for the advice; I'll check out Audition.
  4. Nice project there. If you end up doing that remaster feel free to share it here

iZotope is another good alternative, it's more powerful than Audition. It's not cheap but as usual with software there are workarounds for that

Noise reduction is one of the easiest tasks and one that's actually nice to start with. I don't know any courses or anything but there's like 500 billion tutorials on Youtube for every single little aspect of audio treatment you can think of. I'm sure some even talk about remastering 80s VHS sound.
  5. Originally posted by LikeASong:Nice project there. If you end up doing that remaster feel free to share it here

iZotope is another good alternative, it's more powerful than Audition. It's not cheap but as usual with software there are workarounds for that

Noise reduction is one of the easiest tasks and one that's actually nice to start with. I don't know any courses or anything but there's like 500 billion tutorials on Youtube for every single little aspect of audio treatment you can think of. I'm sure some even talk about remastering 80s VHS sound.
    I'll be sure to share some progress reports once I start.

As for iZotope, I see that there are multiple products listed on their website. I'm assuming the 'Music Production Suite' is what I'm looking for; or will Ozone by itself suffice?

Thanks for the help!
  6. Originally posted by SlightedRadio91:[..]
    I'll be sure to share some progress reports once I start.

As for iZotope, I see that there are multiple products listed on their website. I'm assuming the 'Music Production Suite' is what I'm looking for; or will Ozone by itself suffice?

Thanks for the help!
    For fixing up audio RX7, and for mastering Ozone. There is a fully functional 10-day free trial of Ozone, not sure about RX7. And there are indeed 'workarounds' to use the software without breaking the bank
  7. Originally posted by melon51:[..]
    For fixing up audio RX7, and for mastering Ozone. There is a fully functional 10-day free trial of Ozone, not sure about RX7. And there are indeed 'workarounds' to use the software without breaking the bank
    Alright, I'll look into getting those... I do plan to use 'workarounds' though, haha.
  8. Alright. So I have started my aforementioned project of remastering the Rattle And Hum Outtakes. And by started, I mean that I just set-up iZotope last night.

A question that I have, to the seasoned remasterers, is how do you gauge an appropriate amount of noise to remove (for crappy tapes) before it noticeably impacts fidelity?

I'm practicing with the Found rehearsal in the rough cut (to compare to the high quality film version), and I am struggling to remove the tape hiss, and the hum, without making the audio sound... off...

For example, when using the de-hum module, it turned the acoustic guitar strumming into what sounded like sharp plucking when the sensitivity was set too high. Conversely, when I turned it down to avoid this, the hum was still noticeable.

What would be your recommendation to remedy a situation like this? Should I be applying a weaker filter, multiple times? Or does this call for doing everything section-by-section?
  9. Originally posted by SlightedRadio91:Alright. So I have started my aforementioned project of remastering the Rattle And Hum Outtakes. And by started, I mean that I just set-up iZotope last night.

A question that I have, to the seasoned remasterers, is how do you gauge an appropriate amount of noise to remove (for crappy tapes) before it noticeably impacts fidelity?

I'm practicing with the Found rehearsal in the rough cut (to compare to the high quality film version), and I am struggling to remove the tape hiss, and the hum, without making the audio sound... off...

For example, when using the de-hum module, it turned the acoustic guitar strumming into what sounded like sharp plucking when the sensitivity was set too high. Conversely, when I turned it down to avoid this, the hum was still noticeable.

What would be your recommendation to remedy a situation like this? Should I be applying a weaker filter, multiple times? Or does this call for doing everything section-by-section?
    Are you using Ozone or RX? The latter is for audio repair, Ozone is the mastering suite. Another option is using Audacity with a combination of de-ess/hiss/hum/wind effects. You can also run 3rd party plugins in Audacity, and there's various audio-repair plugins (https://vstwarehouse.com/audio-restoration/).

Interesting challenge, with the right repair-chain and then mastering I think you can get quite far. If you have a sample clip I can look along if you want.
  10. I'm using RX right now.

Thanks for the Audacity suggestion, I'll check those out. Though, I am liking the workflow of RX so far, comparatively.

'Sample' -- meaning something that I attempted to remaster? Or something raw to suggest changes for?
  11. Originally posted by SlightedRadio91:I'm using RX right now.

Thanks for the Audacity suggestion, I'll check those out. Though, I am liking the workflow of RX so far, comparatively.

'Sample' -- meaning something that I attempted to remaster? Or something raw to suggest changes for?
    3 months - any clips or samples to share yet?

i do know myself that it can take days/months with these things and for the 'slight' upgrade in quality it hasn't been worth it especially as the 'quality' (nth generation of the original sources) isn't usually that good to start off with (no disrespect to the original tapers of course)
  12. Originally posted by TheRealEdge:[..]
    3 months - any clips or samples to share yet?

i do know myself that it can take days/months with these things and for the 'slight' upgrade in quality it hasn't been worth it especially as the 'quality' (nth generation of the original sources) isn't usually that good to start off with (no disrespect to the original tapers of course)
    4 months - Sorry, I'm only just seeing this.

Haven't really touched iZotope for a while....

I don't know when I will actually fiddle around with things (I had more going on than expected during my summer break). But it's definitely something I still want to pursue. Maybe Christmas break.

Unfortunately it seems that the digital files here might be the lowest gen available online (that I've been able to see), while not offering the nicest sound... But most of the issue is background noise, and a 'wobbly' sound; so I'm hoping I can at least get things listenable.

tldr; I haven't done anything, though I would still like to continue.