1. I visited Sun Studios a few years back and was able to sit and briefly play the drum kit Larry left there back in 87'. I asked why he left it and was told that the studio lacked equipment as it had gone through some turmoil over the years. I'm going to have to dig up that picture.
  2. If you compare the vocals on Jesus Christ to those on Angel of Harlem and She's A Mistery to me and others that were recorded at Sun Studios I doubt they were recorded on the same day.
  3. So the versions of angel of Harlem etc recorded at sun studios were just demos, right? Not the versions that ended up on the album?
  4. I thought they were the album versions. Anyone?
  5. My guess is that they took the tracks from Sun Studios and polished them later and worked with them, added some bits, took others away and produced the final album version.
    On Angel of Harlem, drums, guitar and the reed section sound a lot like Sun Studio recordings to me, same for Love Rescue Me (including the vocals and Bass, mistake included), Jesus Christ and some parts of WLCTT, which maybe had the most work done on it elsewhere.
    I guess that Bonos vocal on AOH was later replaced/re-recorded.
    Of course, I could be total wrong here, but that's what my ears tell me.
  6. Originally posted by Papo:My guess is that they took the tracks from Sun Studios and polished them later and worked with them, added some bits, took others away and produced the final album version.
    On Angel of Harlem, drums, guitar and the reed section sound a lot like Sun Studio recordings to me, same for Love Rescue Me (including the vocals and Bass, mistake included), Jesus Christ and some parts of WLCTT, which maybe had the most work done on it elsewhere.
    I guess that Bonos vocal on AOH was later replaced/re-recorded.
    Of course, I could be total wrong here, but that's what my ears tell me.
    Are there full song recordings from the Sun studios session out there (other than the released album tracks)? Or is this based on fragments from the R&H outtakes?
  7. Don't know if there are full outtakes available, but at Sun Studios, Bono was not in top form vocally, at least in the clips that are available. His voice sounds "pressed". You can clearly hear it on "Jesus Christ", too, so I assume the vocal take is from Sun.

His voice is fine on the studio version of Angel of Harlem, so I assume that one was recorded in LA at the same session where A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel, All I Want Is You and others were recorded.
  8. According to U2Songs...
    https://www.u2songs.com/discography/u2_rattle_and_hum_album_original_release

"Studio recording for the album took place in a number of locations, including Sun Studios in Memphis Tennessee in November 1987, famous for being one of the big studios where Elvis, Roy Orbison and Johnny Cash had recorded over the years. 'Angel Of Harlem', 'Love Rescue Me', and 'When Love Comes To Town' were all recorded there, as well as a cover of 'Jesus Christ' for the 'Folkways' album, and an unreleased version of 'She’s A Mystery To Me'. They also filmed themselves performing 'Trip Through Your Wires'.

There's a 2-minute demo of 'A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel' floating around from the R&H outtakes - which is also on the Clementine fruitleg. The final version was recorded in Hollywood, but it's plausible that the demo version could have come about from an earlier session somewhere else - it seems to have a similar kinda vibe to it as the other stuff that has surfaced from Sun Studios.

There's also a 2 and a half minute demo version of 'Can't Help Falling In Love' from the era too, and a longer demo of Heartland than the version that appeared in the final cut of the film - again not sure where that originated from - but again it sort of has that same vibe as the other material originating from Sun Studios, but really it could be from anywhere.

I agree with you Papo, I think it's probable that the Sun Studio sessions were just to get initial demo's down for polishing up later on, rather than being fully mastered recordings in a single day of 5 new songs, which doesn't seem too likely - especially knowing how much U2 tend to labour over their work.