1. Originally posted by redguitaronfireDuring many years the With or Without You version of the film was claimed to be filmed in no concert. That theory came from the fact that there are no shots on the audience during the song, and the only time the camera turns into them, the whole stadium is in the dark. I don't know, it's just a rumour, but it makes sense if they took time to edit all those details you mention, didn't it?
    I think that's right... No audience shot, dark stadium...
  2. Very very interesting theory! Of course, if something in Rattle And Hum stumps me I have to investigate. I must say, this song has the LEAST audience shots of any live track in the film yet i never noticed that watching it 100 times before.

I downloaded 1987/12/20, however, and noticed that the versions are 100% identical. Although the mixes are completely different, the nuances of the actual performances are one and the same. Examples include "with or without you, yeah you," the brief "thank you" before the solo, and every single inflection in Bono's (and Edge's) voice. If you listen to 5-10 seconds of the film, pause, and listen to the corresponding section of the boot, you'll see what I mean.

I also checked out the video clip again, and noticed a few things:
    -"my body bruised" 2:12-2:15; the camera sweeps across the audience and you can make out lighters in the distance
    -2:20 "and nothing left to lose,": between "and" and "nothing" someone takes a flash photo (though this could be staff or automated)
    -2:23: the faint light just to the right of Bono's face is flickering; it is almost certainly a lighter being held up and not just some random "Exit" sign or something

Those are the results of my investigation; let me know if your experiences differ!
  3. Originally posted by JanRodi[..]
    Rattle and Hum is a half step to high and too fast.

But you can take the rips from the DVD and use Wavelab to transpose them down. This brings the songs also back to their original tempo.

From the "PAL" article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL:

"PAL speed-up"

"Motion pictures are typically shot on film at 24 frames per second. When telecined and played back at PAL's standard of 25 frames per second, films run 4.2% faster. [1] Unlike NTSC's telecine system, which uses 3:2 pulldown to convert the 24 frames per second to the NTSC frame rate, PAL results in the telecined video running 4.2% shorter than the original film as well as the equivalent NTSC telecined video. Depending on the sound system in use, it also increases the pitch of the soundtrack by 70.67 cent — ⅔ of a semitone, which only the minority of people with absolute pitch will notice."

Hey JanRodi, I guess we're in the minority, huh!
  4. Originally posted by u2met86
    Hey JanRodi, I guess we're in the minority, huh!

Yes, we are one of those poor PAL-Europeans. But we have better presidents...
  5. One more thing, Helter Skelter 1987/11/08 does not include "this is a song Charles Manson stole from the Beatles, we're stealing it back". but it's not on 1987/11/07, either. any ideas what show it is from?

or perhaps it was a studio add-in, like "eleven" replacing "thirteen" in sunday bloody sunday, or the edge's last few notes on all along the watchtower.
  6. Originally posted by u2met86One more thing, Helter Skelter 1987/11/08 does not include "this is a song Charles Manson stole from the Beatles, we're stealing it back". but it's not on 1987/11/07, either. any ideas what show it is from?

or perhaps it was a studio add-in, like "eleven" replacing "thirteen" in sunday bloody sunday, or the edge's last few notes on all along the watchtower.
    I think it was on the original 11-08 bootleg! The only difference is that the sentence is edited for the album and is not edited for the movie, I think.
    But of course I can be wrong. I've been many time without listening to 11-08 bbot, maybe I remember badly...
  7. Ive beeb reading through the posts and here seems to be a bit of confusion about Streets. I listebed to the Tempe show from the 19th and thats definatley the R&H version. Bonos vocals are just an exact match as is the guitar. Still way to quick tho
  8. Originally posted by germcevoyIve beeb reading through the posts and here seems to be a bit of confusion about Streets. I listebed to the Tempe show from the 19th and thats definatley the R&H version. Bonos vocals are just an exact match as is the guitar. Still way to quick tho

I will probably get shot for bringing this out to the public, but Streets from 1987-12-19 is actually an audio-rip from the Rattle And Hum DVD, and someone sped it up so that it's a full step too high / fast (Eb major instead of Db major). I know b/c I've ripped it before myself and I've heard the exact mix 100s of times; I know it when I hear it. The rest of the concert is a different source, four-star audience bootleg.

I hate to spoil it for other people, but I only feel it's fair to alert Remy, who keeps very high, legal standards for his awesome site.
  9. Originally posted by LikeASong[..]I think it was on the original 11-08 bootleg! The only difference is that the sentence is edited for the album and is not edited for the movie, I think.
    But of course I can be wrong. I've been many time without listening to 11-08 bbot, maybe I remember badly...

Actually it is. All the songs from Denver which ended up in the movie & album come from that date. None from the day before (Nov. 7th) was used because Bono wasn't very used to the cameras and all the time they got in his way, so the film ain't very watchable. But the bootleg has the sentence. The only edited-in is a guitar strum at the beginning of the film, when some stars are getting around the mountain in the Paramount logo. That is not in the official album. And in the bootleg you hear some guitar tune-test instead of that rocking, bold, strum.
  10. Originally posted by u2met86[..]

I will probably get shot for bringing this out to the public, but Streets from 1987-12-19 is actually an audio-rip from the Rattle And Hum DVD, and someone sped it up so that it's a full step too high / fast (Eb major instead of Db major). I know b/c I've ripped it before myself and I've heard the exact mix 100s of times; I know it when I hear it. The rest of the concert is a different source, four-star audience bootleg.

I hate to spoil it for other people, but I only feel it's fair to alert Remy, who keeps very high, legal standards for his awesome site.

totally in agrreance. you can hear the obvious dip in quality from Streets and the following song
  11. Originally posted by redguitaronfire[..]

Actually it is. All the songs from Denver which ended up in the movie & album come from that date. None from the day before (Nov. 7th) was used because Bono wasn't very used to the cameras and all the time they got in his way, so the film ain't very watchable. But the bootleg has the sentence. The only edited-in is a guitar strum at the beginning of the film, when some stars are getting around the mountain in the Paramount logo. That is not in the official album. And in the bootleg you hear some guitar tune-test instead of that rocking, bold, strum.

I stand corrected. I must admit I hadn't heard the bootleg in a while before posting that and it showed