1. From a certain perspective, U2's last "rock" album was War.

To me, the essential thing is to surprise. The album should surprise themselves and it should surprise us. To me, that is what made U2 so great. UF was nothing like War, JT was another epic departure. AB the greatest leap any band has ever made. Beginning with HTAAB, U2 albums stopped being surprising for the most part.
  2. Originally posted by luc92:We can't expect total uncompromisingness from men of this age and status, so if they're talking about a rock album, it'll probably mean a bit more songs like The Blackout or Atomic City. There will definitely be 2-3 totally pop songs, because they just like doing it. As a fan, I am worried about another issue, namely that we probably know in 2024 what the future of the band will be until the end of its existence. Rock album late this year or early next year, then possibly the last major world tour in 25/26. some celebration of the band's 60th anniversary, during a tour in 2026, then around their 70th birthday the release of Songs of Ascent, possibly even without a tour. It seems to be natural, but it's a strange feeling, just knowing where it's going... Can U2 surprise us with anything else?

i'd like to see how the band just close our mouths u know...i think the can give us a surprise
  3. waiting for THIS album...can't wait
  4. Originally posted by dstankie:From a certain perspective, U2's last "rock" album was War.

To me, the essential thing is to surprise. The album should surprise themselves and it should surprise us. To me, that is what made U2 so great. UF was nothing like War, JT was another epic departure. AB the greatest leap any band has ever made. Beginning with HTAAB, U2 albums stopped being surprising for the most part.
    yep, agreed
  5. Originally posted by dstankie:From a certain perspective, U2's last "rock" album was War.

I totally agree. That gets me thinking: how many artists have surprised their fanbase 3 or 4+ decades into their careers? There aren't many that can say that (ala Bowie with Blackstar, for example.)

6. should sound like this