1. Originally posted by yeah[..]

Just curious, what Popmart shows have you been to?

none. just seen mexico and soa paolo vids. why?

2. I only went to 2nd night Wembley Stadium. At the time I thought both the album and tour were good but the passage of time has not been kind to either. But sometimes you might have to go through bad times artistically to get to the good again. I personally don't think U2 can do another HTDAAB / ATYCLB style album so the next one might fall on it's ass like POP did.
  3. Originally posted by argyle_gI only went to 2nd night Wembley Stadium. At the time I thought both the album and tour were good but the passage of time has not been kind to either. But sometimes you might have to go through bad times artistically to get to the good again. I personally don't think U2 can do another HTDAAB / ATYCLB style album so the next one might fall on it's ass like POP did.

I don't think so: after 10 years PopMart it's still one of the greatest tour in rock'n'roll history. The PopMart stage was the first in history to use a led screen, and also the sound system was a revolution - The Edge talk about it in U2BYU2 -
    About the Pop album I think that, even considering all the mistakes such as the lack of a proper single hit, it's the last try of U2 to create some original music.
  4. Depends on where you look at it. Some of the songs on POP were good but aren't finished. Miami is a cool song as is Last Night on Earth and Mofo. I also like the Playboy Mansion, fantastic song because it's so original.
  5. Popmart was their best tour hands down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please and Still Havent Found...best songs I've ever heard
  6. Originally posted by JcbasketPopmart was their best tour hands down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZooTV is probably the most popular on these boards, but PopMart has stolen my PopHeart. Here are some PopReasons (what?!?):
    -Hasta La Vista, Baby: If I had to pick 1 consecutive hour of U2 to bring to a desert island it would be this. Oh how I wish they would ACTUALLY release this. NOT releasing this was U2's "what was I thinking" moment. That's how much I like it.
    -Pop Muzik / Mofo: most energetic opener I've ever seen & experienced live. I imitate boxer Bono probably 3-5 times on an average week.
    -I Will Follow: my fave version.
    -Gone, Staring At The Sun..
    -Please: Adam plays the album version in the WRONG KEY! (Listen, the Edge is in A, Adam is in D) But live, when the bass and guitar are in the same key, it's absolutely beautiful. Plus the Sunday Bloody Sunday drumming interlude. And IMO the best transition into...
    -Where The Streets Have No Name: I love the fast techno tempo and Edge's fiery guitar tone.
    -Discotheque, WOWY & HMTMKMKM especially make for an insane encore every night.

Here's a Willie Williams quote from atu2.com:

"I remain convinced that history will vindicate PopMart. It's PopMart that stands the test of time to a much greater degree than Zoo TV."

-- Willie Williams, 2002
  7. Originally posted by Marcantonio[..]
    About the Pop album I think that, even considering all the mistakes such as the lack of a proper single hit, it's the last try of U2 to create some original music.

I see this complaint quite a bit, that Pop was the last original U2, and that ATYCLB and HTDAAB are washed up, Top-40 versions of U2 just to sell records and please the masses.

U2 has made a career out of reinvention. And today, whenever the band falls short of their 1990s decade of massive, constant reinvention, it's easy to say they've lost the fire or fallen back on their laurels. Because the last 2 albums... well they sound so much like U2, it's not a surprise.

But here's a question (or 2) I think is valuable when evaluating their newer songs:

If X_(insert song)_X was blotted out of U2's catalog FOREVER, would I miss it? Would I even notice?

What would a U2 concert be without Elevation? Beautiful Day? Stuck in a Moment? Vertigo? Sometimes? COBL? These are just the hits. When I give an honest look on both 2000s albums I firmly believe that every song is an important and valuable addition to their catalog. I don't think U2 has wasted or tossed away a song, including A Man And A Woman. And they struck a gold mine with hidden gems like New York, When I Look At The World, OOTS and Yahweh. (Personally I don't think U2 has wasted a single song on ANY album to this day. I challenged myself and tried pretty hard; the closest I could find to actively DIS-liking a song was The Refugee, but I even found a place in my heart to tolerate that.)
  8. Originally posted by u2met86-Pop Muzik / Mofo: most energetic opener I've ever seen & experienced live. I imitate boxer Bono probably 3-5 times on an average week.
    Hahahahha...
    Originally posted by u2met86-I Will Follow: my fave version.
    OOOH NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!