1. Hi can someone tell me what was the point of including songs on this album that were already released on previous albums, Is it just because they're live? I don't have this album so I dont know a great deal about it. Are all the songs live? We're the songs taken from the same concert or is it a compelation (cut and shunt album?)

What is the rattle and hum dvd, is it a whole gig? individual songs?
    The whole rattle and hum thing seems a bit bitty to me if you know what i mean.

Please explain
  2. The Rattle and Hum DVD is a mixture of live songs from the Joshua tree Tour of america.. it isnt oone whole gig i highly recommend it
  3. Originally posted by Angel_or_Devil
    Hi can someone tell me what was the point of including songs on this album that were already released on previous albums, Is it just because they're live? I don't have this album so I dont know a great deal about it. Are all the songs live? We're the songs taken from the same concert or is it a compelation (cut and shunt album?)

Not all the songs are live, there are 6 in-studios. The point is that Rattle and Hum is kinda documentary of an infamous tour, which depicts U2 at their top. Personally, I've never heard a more intense performance of Pride from the band or the audience.
    But, hey, you should get it, man. No matter how many impressive reviews you read, you just gotta experience that record!

4. Yeah, Rattle and Hum confused a ton of people. Unless you've already immersed yourself in both the film and the album, it's tough to understand. But I'll do my best to try to explain.

After Joshua Tree, U2 wanted to have some fun and really play up the fact that they are big fans of American music, gospel, blues & country. So they went to Sun Studios where Elvis once recorded, they wrote a song w/ BB King, they covered All Along The Watchtower & wrote another song w/ Bob Dylan, etc...

They recorded an album, half-live versions of previous songs or covers performed on the Joshua Tree Tour, half-studio brand new songs. I love it from start to finish, but opinions will differ with every person you ask. Each "re-hashed" live version of an old song is COMPLETELY unique from it's original album format. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For includes a choir (it's awesome!), Pride has a different tempo and has the crowd singing "oh-oh-oh-oh" by themselves at the end. Bullet The Blue Sky is heavier, and it has a famous Bono speech about San Salvador, 1000X better than the Joshua Tree. I could go on and on about this album, I love it. I love the new songs (singles like Desire, All I Want Is You, When Love Comes To Town, Angel Of Harlem and hidden gems like Hawkmoon 269, Van Diemens Land featuring EDGE alone on vocals, Love Rescue Me feat. Bob Dylan, HEARTLAND is a beautiful song).

The film, in my opinion, is an entity all its own. It was meant to be a small-scale documentary that showed them on the road during the Joshua Tree Tour. This has some GREAT GREAT GREAT versions of U2 classics not even found on the album (Bad, Where The Streets Have No Name, SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY, Exit / Van Morrison's Gloria, Running To Stand Still, MLK, WITH OR WITHOUT YOU).

So here are my recommendations...
    1) First, watch the film. (Start with the 2nd-half, Bad onwards thru the end, it's absolutely captivating. Then go back and watch the 1st half) Enjoy the visuals and get the "feel" for what Rattle And Hum is all about. If you're hesitant, look them up on YouTube first before buying the DVD. Do this to your heart's content until it gets old (if in fact, it does ever get old).

2) Second, check out the album. There is a decent amount of overlap between the two, but there's a TON of original material on the album.

3) Audio-rip the DVD, or ask someone here to privately send you a copy. You WILL want a copy of the film to listen on your iPod / car, especially Sunday Bloody Sunday / "fuck the revolution", With Or Without You / Shine Like Stars, and even the bootlegs on U2start don't cut it.

Just my two cents. Hope you enjoy it! To me, Rattle And Hum refers to the whole era between JT and Love Town. Most of the public thought it was pretentious & sucked, and I don't care because I f***ing love it, and grew up on both the film and the album.
  5. Thanks guys, you've sold it well! might have to buy them.
  6. Fantastic film and album. Some of the songs on there are absolutely amazing, particularly Bad and Streets. I saw it going for $9.99 so I grabbed it, best $9.99 I've spent in a long time.
  7. You really need to see the film to understand the album. It's also worthwhile listening to the shows from which the live songs were taken.

The black-and-white indoor concert footage is the Denver show on November 8, 1987 and the colour concert footage from the Tempe shows of December 19 and 20, 1987.

"All Along the Watchtower" is from the "Save the Yuppies" concert in San Francisco on November 11, 1987.

"Sunday Bloody Sunday" is from the Denver show, which was performed on the day that an IRA bomb killed eleven people at a Remembrance Day ceremony. Bono condemned the violence in a furious mid-song rant finished off with the infamous "Fuck the revolution!".
  8. Originally posted by Angel_or_DevilThanks guys, you've sold it well! might have to buy them.

I am a big advocate of the "try before you buy" concept. At www.napster.com you can stream every U2-performed song on the album (15 out of the 17 tracks), 3 times each, for free.

Most of the film (and some of the album) is on YouTube:

Film

1. "Helter Skelter" (live)

2. "Van Diemen's Land"
    n/a
    3. "Desire" (demo)

4. "Exit" / "Gloria (Van Morrison song)" (live)

5. "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" (rehearsal)

6. "Freedom for My People" excerpt by Adam Gussow and Sterling Magee / "Silver and Gold" (live)

7. "Angel of Harlem" (demo)
    n/a
    8. "All Along the Watchtower" (live)
    n/a
    9. "In God's Country" (live)

10. "When Love Comes to Town" (rehearsal/live/recital)
    n/a
    11. "Heartland"

12. "Bad" / "Ruby Tuesday" / "Sympathy for the Devil" (live)

13. "Where the Streets Have No Name" (live)

14. "MLK" (live)
    n/a
    15. "With or Without You" (live)

16. "The Star-Spangled Banner" excerpt by Jimi Hendrix / "Bullet the Blue Sky" (live)

17. "Running to Stand Still" (live)

18. "Sunday Bloody Sunday" (live)

19. "Pride (In the Name of Love)" (live)
    n/a
    20. "All I Want Is You"
    n/a

Album

1. "Helter Skelter" (live) – 3:07
    See above.
    2. "Van Diemen's Land" – 3:05
    3. "Desire" – 2:59

4. "Hawkmoon 269" – 6:22
    5. "All Along the Watchtower" (live) – 4:24
    6. "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" (live) – 5:53

7. "Freedom for My People" excerpt by Adam Gussow and Sterling Magee – 0:38
    See above.
    8. "Silver and Gold" (live) – 5:49
    See above.
    9. "Pride (In the Name of Love)" (live) – 4:27
    10. "Angel of Harlem" – 3:49

11. "Love Rescue Me" – 6:24
    12. "When Love Comes to Town" – 4:15

13. "Heartland" – 5:03
    See above.
    14. "God Part II" – 3:15
    15. "The Star-Spangled Banner" excerpt by Jimi Hendrix – 0:43
    See above.
    16. "Bullet the Blue Sky" (live) – 5:36
    See above.
    17. "All I Want Is You" – 6:30

9. Thanks everyone for your opinions and explanations. I shall work my way through the list of invaluable links u2met86 gave us. Just viewed the first link (helter skelter) and what a crowd! Cheers
  10. Originally posted by drewhigginsI saw it going for $9.99 so I grabbed it, best $9.99 I've spent in a long time.
    I absolutely agree...
    Originally posted by Angel_or_DevilJust viewed the first link (helter skelter) and what a crowd! Cheers
    The sound of Youtube is pure SHIT, the sound of the album (the CROWD!!) will make you go nuts...
  11. Originally posted by LikeASong[..]The sound of Youtube is pure SHIT

yeah very true, but at remember, Angel_Or_Devil (and probably some other users) have never been exposed to the material before. it sounded like he was planning on buying the film & album anyway, but if he can become familiar with these low-quality versions he can be even more confident that his money will be well-spent
  12. Haha I wasn't refering to the sound inparticular, just when the lights come on in helter skelter and everyone there seem up for it, with their hands in the air etc, gets u psyced up. Looks good on the whole and a great version of Bad