1. i've noticed that on the two elevation tour DVDs they have made alot of out takes... these include:

Boston DVD

Mysterious Ways
    In my life snippet before stuck in a moment
    People get ready
    Pride
    one

Slane DVD

Two tribes snippet at the end of "Until...."
    When will i see you again snippet

why do they take some parts of there shows out... is it technical problems or what???
  2. They just shot the shows on multiple nights, they take the best of it.

About the Boston DVD, there wasn't enough space for all the songs they wanted on one single DVD, they had to leave a few songs out. And they thought that could be songs that people had already seen so much on video like One en Pride.

And what about leaving snippets out, sometimes they can't get the rights to include such snippets on a public release. Same with the Red rocks album, they couldn't include the Electric Co snippets on it just because snippets are about singing other people's songs (or covers, same issue), you can't just sing another one's song and publish it on DVD, you need authorisation for that. And often they don't get that.
  3. Originally posted by RemyThey just shot the shows on multiple nights, they take the best of it.

About the Boston DVD, there wasn't enough space for all the songs they wanted on one single DVD, they had to leave a few songs out. And they thought that could be songs that people had already seen so much on video like One en Pride.

And what about leaving snippets out, sometimes they can't get the rights to include such snippets on a public release. Same with the Red rocks album, they couldn't include the Electric Co snippets on it just because snippets are about singing other people's songs (or covers, same issue), you can't just sing another one's song and publish it on DVD, you need authorisation for that. And often they don't get that.

hmmm... ok thanks for that Remy... always in the know
  4. This is predominantly 2001-06-06 but it's a combination of a few shows (maybe just that and 2001-06-05).

I did an experiment once to see which songs were from which night, and I was surprised how good some of the editing was. I don't remember all of it, but...

-There is some terrible editing, like cutting out "Going live to the NBA!" from Streets. I really loved that when I saw it live at the NBA Finals, I wish they had the license to keep it in there. You can tell where the cut occurs in the audio, and in the video they avoid Bono for 5 seconds and cut to Adam.

-But there is great editing. For example, if I remember correctly, Bad and Streets are from 2 different nights, the "how long" from 40 is cut short, yet the editing for the transition is seamless.

-Also, Wake Up Dead Man is from 2001-06-06, but then Bono introduces, "Walk On" which is from another night (he doesn't say that on 06-06), then it ping-pongs BACK to 2001-06-06 for the actual song!! My jaw hit the floor.
  5. Originally posted by u2met86This is predominantly 2001-06-06 but it's a combination of a few shows (maybe just that and 2001-06-05).

I did an experiment once to see which songs were from which night, and I was surprised how good some of the editing was. I don't remember all of it, but...

-There is some terrible editing, like cutting out "Going live to the NBA!" from Streets. I really loved that when I saw it live at the NBA Finals, I wish they had the license to keep it in there. You can tell where the cut occurs in the audio, and in the video they avoid Bono for 5 seconds and cut to Adam.

-But there is great editing. For example, if I remember correctly, Bad and Streets are from 2 different nights, the "how long" from 40 is cut short, yet the editing for the transition is seamless.

-Also, Wake Up Dead Man is from 2001-06-06, but then Bono introduces, "Walk On" which is from another night (he doesn't say that on 06-06), then it ping-pongs BACK to 2001-06-06 for the actual song!! My jaw hit the floor.

The Boston DVD is the most terrible editing ever. More points:

- During Gone Edge used 2 different guitars, 2 different colours, now that's odd!

- The intro of Kite was from another night than the actual performance of Kite.

- The views through Bono glasses are from another night than the actual first three songs.
  6. So we listen to fake songs which are never played they way we hear and see them...
  7. The setlist for Slane says enough:

Elevation

Beautiful Day

Until The End Of The World / Two Tribes (snippet)

New Year's Day

Out Of Control

Sunday Bloody Sunday

Wake Up Dead Man

Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of

Kite

Angel Of Harlem

Desire

Staring At The Sun

All I Want Is You

Where The Streets Have No Name

Mysterious Ways

Pride (In The Name Of Love)

encore(s):

Bullet The Blue Sky

With Or Without You / Shine Like Stars (snippet)

One / When Will I See You Again (snippet)

Walk On

Mysterious Ways was played between Streets and Pride..
  8. I like the DVDs anyway....but I didn't know about this details

thanks for the information again
  9. Originally posted by MWSAHSo we listen to fake songs which are never played they way we hear and see them...

While I understand your frustration, I wouldn't call them "fake," per se.

Sometimes Bono gave a really good song introduction on Night 1 but sang it better on Night 2.

Sometimes the film directors just don't have good enough footage so they borrow from another night. (This is not new, by the way. If you watch Rattle And Hum, "Angel of Harlem" and "In God's Country" both have cuts of Edge where his playing clearly does not match the audio, just because they had to shift the footage over a few seconds.)

If there was NO editing or remixing whatsoever, we'd have a bootleg (thank God for U2start , that's what this site is here for).

Most other artists do it too, and compared to a lot of them, U2 DVDs are pretty mild on touch-ups.

I'd much rather know that all the edited footage was at least captured live at some point, and not re-recorded in some studio later on (like some artists do who are terrible live performers).

---

PS... they also take out Van Morrison's Gloria and Jump Around, two snippets at the end of Desire. As well as the "Boston is a town I love, Boston fits me like a glove" improvisation. Probably b/c it wouldn't fit the DVD.
  10. Boston DVD had pretty good editing, except for Edge seen with both red and black guitars during Gone and the pronounced audio cut when Bono yells "Going live to the NBA"

They said it had something to do with sound quality, as they wanted a very fancy format they were limited as to how many songs they could fit onto a DVD.

By the time Slane came out (2 years later) I think the double-layer DVD format was more accepted, so they were able to fit the unabridged show with excellent audio onto the DVD. I am told that Mysterious Ways was cut from the main set because it didn't fit in thematically with the rest of the DVD. In retrospect I think I agree, despite the fact that it was the 2nd best performance of Ways I've ever seen (after POPMART Mexico City).
  11. Originally posted by AAV711Boston DVD had pretty good editing, except for Edge seen with both red and black guitars during Gone and the pronounced audio cut when Bono yells "Going live to the NBA"

They said it had something to do with sound quality, as they wanted a very fancy format they were limited as to how many songs they could fit onto a DVD.

By the time Slane came out (2 years later) I think the double-layer DVD format was more accepted, so they were able to fit the unabridged show with excellent audio onto the DVD. I am told that Mysterious Ways was cut from the main set because it didn't fit in thematically with the rest of the DVD. In retrospect I think I agree, despite the fact that it was the 2nd best performance of Ways I've ever seen (after POPMART Mexico City).

Mysterious Ways was cut because Bono didn't want his daughter to be shown as part of the main DVD so they offered it as an extra. thats his daughter 'little Eve' up on stage.
  12. Is BTBS also edited into the Boston DVD, because it doesn't sound very logic as a follow-up for SBS.