1. I want to make up some gapless music CDs. I've got Nero 6.6 here, Foobar2000, iTunes (which I truly hate to no end), Windows Media Player 11 but I don't have any clue on how this is done. Does anyone have any suggestions because burning a show to disc sounds pretty poor with an almost 3-second gap in between.

Or at least reduce it so it's almost impossible to hear? Yes, I know I have an iPod but in case my iPod SE battery goes flat or runs out (which for 3+ years on the same Lithium-Ion battery isn't doing half bad).
  2. You can configure this in Nero, I'm pretty sure about that.
  3. Originally posted by RemyYou can configure this in Nero, I'm pretty sure about that.

yeah, but even then there's a little "clip"...but it's definetly not 3 sec...maybe that is what he was asking for.
  4. Originally posted by thechicken[..]

yeah, but even then there's a little "clip"...but it's definetly not 3 sec...maybe that is what he was asking for.

It seems like three seconds anyway. But yeah, in Nero there is a little clip and you sort of notice it. Even for albums like Sgt Pepper, Dark Side of the Moon and of course live shows those albums don't sound right even with a split. Any ideas?
  5. You could buy the original albuns...then there would be no problem...but I really don't know how to solve the burning thing...you could try another program maybe...a more advanced one.
  6. Originally posted by thechickenYou could buy the original albuns...then there would be no problem...but I really don't know how to solve the burning thing...you could try another program maybe...a more advanced one.

No, I have the originals. But if I want to make a backup (and use that as the primary source) then how would I make them gapless? I was thinking if I combine them together using Audacity or Audition then put them together as an MP3 or WAV file and burn them off to disc, that could work.

Thanks for your help.
  7. Originally posted by drewhiggins[..]

No, I have the originals. But if I want to make a backup (and use that as the primary source) then how would I make them gapless? I was thinking if I combine them together using Audacity or Audition then put them together as an MP3 or WAV file and burn them off to disc, that could work.

Thanks for your help.

AIFF, WAV, and AAC will work for "true gapless" but MP3 will not, because when MP3 is encoded it adds a bit of silence to the beginning and end of the file, so it is impossible to re-connect them seamlessly.

Personally I recommend ripping first to AIFF or WAV because they are "lossless" (no loss in quality). Therefore, if you rip a real album as AIFF or WAV and then re-burn gaplessly, you will get a PERFECT copy of the CD. Then later on you can always take the enormous lossless files on your computer and convert them to AAC or MP3 to clear up some space on your hard drive.

What you need to do is find the setting in your program that will burn "Disk-At-Once" (DAO) instead of "Track-At-Once" (TAO). Normally, Track-At-Once is the default setting, and it usually adds 2 seconds of silence in between tracks. If you use TAO, even if you set the gap to 0 seconds, there will be an annoying click in between tracks.

Many programs allow you to burn with the DAO option. I'm 99.99% sure Nero has this as an option; I used Nero when I first DVD-ripped Rattle and Hum 7 years ago. I'm also pretty sure that if you burn a CD from iTunes (the latest versions) set to "0 seconds" it will actually burn true DAO with no click in between the tracks, which is what you want.

One more thing: only the newest iPods will transition between gapless songs gaplessly! I have an old-school Mini and there's always a gap, even if it plays seamlessly in iTunes or on a CD burned from that same iTunes playlist.

Hope this helps!
  8. That really does help. Thanks for that info, it is much appreciated and I will try that.
  9. So if I have a set of MP3s can I convert them to WAV files and burn to disc so they're gapless or does the MP3 issue carry over?
  10. The clicks between mp3's occur because mp3's are not boundary-aligned.

Ever heard of cue-sheets? I really love them !!!
    It's possible to work with 1 track mp3's together with a cue-sheet.
    I used to create dj-mixes this way that i can play with and burn gapless on an audio cd.
    I always rip live-cd's this way and this i really miss on u2start.com
    By using a Winamp or QMP plug-inn, you can play these files on your PC.

Maybe this could change in the future on u2tstart.

Also, with lossless files (wav, flac,shn) this "click" does not exist because are boundary-aligned during creation,
    Thats is why I want to suggest for a forum section to download lossless files.

I hope this discussion will lead to some changes on the new U2strart in the near future.

kind regards,

G.
  11. If your using Nero,or as far as I'm aware anything else,once you have laid out your tracks in the order you want to play them,right click on the track,go into properties and it gives you the option of reducing the 2 sec gap to 0.The only track it won't let you do it with is the first one.mp3 or wav files it applies to both.
    My only other suggestion is to try it,with blank discs these days very,very cheap it is worth getting one or two as coasters until your happy.
  12. Indeed, Nero is perfect for it, I've done it many times myself.