1. Guys, can anyone explain me in simple words why some are crazy about this flac and say that it's a lossless codec which is much better than mp3? Is it true??

I mean I am downloading a bootleg in FLAC format. So when I download it will I hear any difference when I convert it to mp3? Or should I keep it in FLAC (is it playable??). Or convert to WAV or what?
  2. Flac is a indeed a file format for audio compression. Being a lossless format, it retains every bit of information that is found in the original, so nothing is lost at all.

Mp3 is a lossy format. You'll lose some information, certain sounds/frequencies are being dropped. The main advantage of mp3 is that the files will be rather small.

There is a difference in sound, and you have the better quality sound with lossless files. You can make a flac into an mp3, but not vice versa (technically you can, but you'll have no advantage from it).
    When you lose detail (which is what happens in mp3 encoding) it isn't always immediately obvious, but you often get a sense of the music being "tiring" to listen to without being able to put a finger on it.
    That said, It all depends on the quality of the system you're playing the MP3s/FLACs on. If you have a decent Hi-Fi system you will probably be able to tell a difference. If, however, you're firing them out from a little boom-box (or even your PC with speakers/headphones) the difference will be very minimal.

And lossless files are the only way to get you a true gapless CD.
  3. So what do I do?

I need to encode FLACs to WAVs to listen to them? With what program (If I want to remove gaps between some songs)?
  4. You can directly play flac files.
    I'd download foobar 2000: http://www.foobar2000.org/ Excellent little player.

If you already have the VLC media player you can use that on, too.
  5. Thanks!
  6. FLAC format can also be played in winamp and offers an plugin to burn audio CDs with Nero.

HTH

cu
    hodel_05
  7. The diffenrence between FLAC and MP3 320 KB can't be heard by people. Problem is that people convert mp3 to flac and then from flac to mp3 and so on.
    Downloading lossless gives you the best quality because you can see that it was not converted before. When you use it just for yourself and like to have it on your CD there is nog problem converting it to MP3.

If you share, then do not convert it to MP3.