1. xanax and wine sounds like its great too! wish i could hear that one.
  2. "Xanax and Wine" is the earlier and more electric and more U2 sounding version of what became "Fast Cars".

While "Fast Cars" is great fun, I like Edge's guitar bits on "Xanax and Wine" better.

So put up or shut up, you say? Certainly.

This link for "Xanax And Wine"

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VRSDM0D1

Enjoy!

AN STRAT DUBH

In fact, check this out for outtakes, alt versions, single mixes and acoustic versions of HTDAAB tunes.
    HTDAAB alternate versions and outtakes

http://savefile.com/projects/1061510

alternate or acoustic versions of most of the songs
    plus mercy, fast cars, xanax and wine, smile, ave maria (jacknife lee remix), and native son
  3. I had lost MERCY when I lost my hard-disk, so thak you very much for uploading! It's really a great tune, with fantastic lyrics... I don't know why it's not included in HTDAAB...
  4. They spoke of Mercy and Fast Cars being left off HTDAAB in the 2004 BLENDER magazine. One of the reasons was Larry. Larry said that 13 songs made the album too long.

Fast Cars was then tacked on to the Japanese, UK versions... and maybe a few others. But it was meant as a BONUS track, only.

And "Mercy" was said to be relagated to "the best B-Sides" ever. I think The Edge said that.

So why not a B-Side to any of the HTDAAB singles? Everyone and their brother asked the band about this song during the tour. I talked to Edge, Adam and Bono during the Spring leg about "Mercy". Bono said that "It isn't quite done". I assured him that it was MORE than done and that we all love it. But as there is such an interest in the tune, chances are it will be on the next album.

That said, we can only hope that they do not turn it into a 3.5 minute song. It is perfect at the length it is. It is epic and grande. It is the NEW "...Streets..." as far as I am concerned.
  5. Originally posted by anstratdubh1979They spoke of Mercy and Fast Cars being left off HTDAAB in the 2004 BLENDER magazine. One of the reasons was Larry. Larry said that 13 songs made the album too long.
    (...)"Mercy" was said to be relagated to "the best B-Sides" ever. I think The Edge said that.

I would have preferred Mercy instead of One Step Closer which I think it's crap, while most of the fans love Mercy.

Larry, WTF? .

6. mmm

I'd say that Mercy is a very good song, but I think I agree with Bono --- it's not at it best yet.

JT had really beautiful B-sides btw --- I know they were thinking about realizing JT as a double LP in order to include them.
  7. thanks for the downloads!!!
  8. Both songs are fine. I would name Smile their finest song of the Atomic Bomb/Vertigo era (2. Window 3. Mercy 4. Sometimes).

I think there's a forum open already that directed me to Mercy. Smile is available as a bonus track on the iTunes version of U218 and the Rare and Unreleased album. You could probably find those on www.albumbase.com
  9. I loved One Step Closer. It seems to be hearkening back to the softer tune "The First Time," in a fashion that hasn't been done since Zooropa.

That said, I think that Mercy is over-hyped and both lyrically and musically inferior to nearly everything in the Bomb-era (except for maybe A Man And A Woman...what was up with that one?).

It is continually referred to as the new Streets, which, if you think about it, completely detracts from Streets' epicness. That song is a one of a kind monster that can't be mirrored or followed. Mercy's ultimate flaw is that it tries to parallel Streets too much stylistically. If Mercy was such a great song, folks would be referring to it as a true epic on its own, the first Mercy rather than the second Streets.

Also, Xanax and Wine > Fast Cars.
  10. a man and a woman has a rockin bassline! i love it.