1. Originally posted by an07The one I have says: DDD GEMA copyright 1993 R.D.S. Music RDSM 001/002. It looks like a professional CD...

Its a bootleg.

Some of the popular labels back then were KTS (Kiss The Stone), Red Phantom, Squealing Pig Records and GEMA towards the end. I think most of those were based out of Holland.
  2. A bootleg can be officially released material. For instance, U2 records a show for radio broadcast. It was not meant to be released on CD or downloaded from the internet, so if you find it on CD or on the internet, it is a bootleg. Right now, U2start.com has several broadcast bootlegs.

technically, selling a bootleg is a violation of copyright laws. The makers of those CD's could get arrested. We are safe though, because we dont make money of them and U2 has said they dont mind people trading or sahring bootlegs as long as its free. The trouble is catching the people who are making money of them. Most professionally made bootlegs have only a name - like 'Red Phantom' on the 'All I Want Is U2' production of the Rotterdam show on 1990-1-10. Here is the link to the back cover:
    http://coverarchive.u2site.com/gallery.php?display=Audio-Covers/1988-1990%20-%20Lovetown%20Tour/08%20-%201989-1990%20-%205th%20Led%20-%20Europe/1990-01-10-Rotterdam-AllIWantIsU2-Back.jpg

Notice there is no address or contact info? That is the easiest way to tell an offical release from a bootleg, although some bootleg makers put Universal's address or make it look like a propaganda release. Most silver bootleg CD's come out of countries that might not enforce copyright laws or where officials can be bribed to look the other way....
  3. Originally posted by Blue_RoomWhat you have to remember is prior to the internet and CDR's the only way to get CD quality was illigally pressed bootlegs. They were actually somewhat legal to make in Italy for awhile based on the laws at the time and alot of them came from there. You would find them at an import record store or from a dealer at a record show/fair and yes it was illegal for those dealers/shops to sell them. They were ridiculously expensive but hard to pass up when you saw them. I started collecting on vinyl actually and moved to CD then with CDR and the internet it wasnt necessary to purchase bootlegs any longer. A single CD boot was typically $25 American dollars and a double CD set was typically $50.

Personally I have about 60 vinyl pressed bootlegs and around 70 or 80 silver CD pressed bootlegs. I see no reason to purchase bootlegs any longer with the options available now and the quality of those options though. But back in the day it was a necessary evil.

so they used to be expensive and the only way to get a bootleg, now they're like more nice to have but kinda foolish to pay a lot of money for?
  4. Originally posted by an07[..]

so they used to be expensive and the only way to get a bootleg, now they're like more nice to have but kinda foolish to pay a lot of money for?

yes, but you can still get silver CD's - they are usually alot cheaper now that the internet has made everything so much easier. I'm kicking myself because I paid $50 US for a popmart show a few years ago and if I waited I could have gotten it here for free....
  5. Originally posted by Guenther[..]

yes, but you can still get silver CD's - they are usually alot cheaper now that the internet has made everything so much easier. I'm kicking myself because I paid $50 US for a popmart show a few years ago and if I waited I could have gotten it here for free....

surely the Silver CD's are lossless at that price?
  6. Originally posted by Guenther[..]

so the silver CDs are just sorta homemade bootlegs, like the ones we burn? Not with a professional looking CD like the broadcast CDs?

7. Originally posted by an07[..]

Well, there was tape cassette trading also. But obviously you couldnt play those on your CD player at the time. I was heavy into cassette trading at the time also. Typically I would know from that what recordings were really good quality. Then if I saw that recording on a silver pressed disc those are the ones I would pick up.

8. Originally posted by an07[..]

so the silver CDs are just sorta homemade bootlegs, like the ones we burn? Not with a professional looking CD like the broadcast CDs?

No, not really. They are typically pressed in a small factory someplace and they are not CDR. They may source the recording from a broadcast but its still an illegal bootleg. For example the Achtung Baby outtakes were traced back to a factory in Germany when they cracked down on those back in 1991. I actually have the original vinyl pressing of those which came in a set of 6 vinyl albums. It was kind of cool to have those to listen to going up until Achtung Baby was released trying to imagine how they would be different on the album.

9. Originally posted by Blue_Room[..]

No, not really. They are typically pressed in a small factory someplace and they are not CDR. They may source the recording from a broadcast but its still an illegal bootleg. For example the Achtung Baby outtakes were traced back to a factory in Germany when they cracked down on those back in 1991. I actually have the original vinyl pressing of those which came in a set of 6 vinyl albums. It was kind of cool to have those to listen to going up until Achtung Baby was released trying to imagine how they would be different on the album.

wow, i can imagine. that must have been awesome
  10. mmm i got over 45 maibe 50 silver cd's but not only of u2 ...
    the first silver bootleg i bought was the concert of u2 in rotterdam 10-01-1990
    it was in a smal store in utrecht holland named white noise ....
    they sold mostly bootlegs and so i start to collect my bootlegs
    later i did go to a record/cd markets also in utrecht ...this is the greatest
    record /cd market in europe ......they sell a lot of collectables /promo's/merchandising
    and so on ...
    there are sellers from all around the world from chili until china ...
    later on the rules on selling bootlegs where stricktly forbidden in holland ...
    so nou on there is not so much to find over there on silverdisk anymore ...
    so i started to collect via marktplaats a dutch site like ebay and there i bought over the last view
    years my silver boots !!!
    but no i find most bootlegs on the internet .....
    and download them .....

hey likeasong i once bought a bootleg in spain in a little store in lloret de mar ...
    also bought some boots once in france ....
  11. most cd's i bought on the cd markets cost for about:
    1 disc : 12 until 15 euro
    2 disc : 24 until 32 euro ....