1. Nice and interesting stuff you got there Peter, very well explained.
    But, I also agree with what LikeASong said.
    I know what you answered, the basic voice thing, I agree, he does great falsettos and holds high notes better now (probably because of more experience and because of the small changes in his voice).
    ...But it just makes me sad when I hear his voice and it's as if a sick person (I mean with a sore throat or something like that ) is singing...the other day I was listening to The Saints Are Coming (the studio version on the album), check the end ("Replyyyyyy!!"), Bono's singing ends later than Billy Joe Armstrong's and it really sounds like a sick guy (I cough whenever I hear that part!) - then I watched parts of the ZooTV Sydney DVD and wow! The voice was so soft and nice! That's the "velvet" thing having gone, his voice isn't that soft all the time now.
    But hey, I still love it!

EDIT: I just listened to Don't Give Up (the duet with Alicia Keys), great song, and I agree, Bono sings wonderfully in it, and I really see what you mean with holding high notes and he is surely great at it now! Hope to see some nice stuff on the new album!
  2. Originally posted by Ali709Nice and interesting stuff you got there Peter, very well explained.
    But, I also agree with what LikeASong said.
    I know what you answered, the basic voice thing, I agree, he does great falsettos and holds high notes better now (probably because of more experience and because of the small changes in his voice).
    ...But it just makes me sad when I hear his voice and it's as if a sick person (I mean with a sore throat or something like that ) is singing...the other day I was listening to The Saints Are Coming (the studio version on the album), check the end ("Replyyyyyy!!"), Bono's singing ends later than Billy Joe Armstrong's and it really sounds like a sick guy (I cough whenever I hear that part!) - then I watched parts of the ZooTV Sydney DVD and wow! The voice was so soft and nice! That's the "velvet" thing having gone, his voice isn't that soft all the time now.
    But hey, I still love it!

EDIT: I just listened to Don't Give Up (the duet with Alicia Keys), great song, and I agree, Bono sings wonderfully in it, and I really see what you mean with holding high notes and he is surely great at it now! Hope to see some nice stuff on the new album!

Thanks for the nice words!

His voice wasnt the best when they recorded The Saints Are Coming and either the live performence...

On "A dying sailor to his shipmates" he sounds very much like he did in his basic voice in 89 on "Wild Irish Rose".

Don't mean to be rude, but the ZooTV Syndey show was one of the worst nights for Bono. He was very shaky in his basic voice(listen to Satelite Of Love), very tired. I would rather see that they had release 1992-08-16 -WC or the Outside Broadcast in New York 92 as an offical dvd...

3. Originally posted by Peterrrrr[..]
    Don't mean to be rude, but the ZooTV Syndey show was one of the worst nights for Bono. He was very shaky in his basic voice(listen to Satelite Of Love), very tired. I would rather see that they had release 1992-08-16 -WC or the Outside Broadcast in New York 92 as an offical dvd...

Yea, I noticed Satellite. But hey, this actually means that in one of his tired-voice nights, his voice still sounded good!
  4. Peterrr that's a great compilation and well what can i say against all this provements
    My opinion is that ZooTV/Lovetown still was the best, very powerful and clear voice

But about technique and keeping up notes, you're right
    It's just that his voice sounds rough... On one hand i think "well that's the voice of a 50year old pure professional" on the other hand it reminds me Bono is getting older...
  5. Originally posted by PeterrrrrDon't mean to be rude, but the ZooTV Syndey show was one of the worst nights for Bono. He was very shaky in his basic voice(listen to Satelite Of Love), very tired. I would rather see that they had release 1992-08-16 -WC or the Outside Broadcast in New York 92 as an offical dvd...
    If his voice was tired in Sydney, all I want to see is another tired voice like that again in the new tour.
  6. Originally posted by BelgianBono
    It's just that his voice sounds rough... On one hand i think "well that's the voice of a 50year old pure professional" on the other hand it reminds me Bono is getting older...

I kinda feel the same way...the truth is that what really bothers me isn't his voice -I still love it!- it's what the voice reminds me of, it reminds me that the guys have gone older, and that one of these days they might just stop touring and stop giving out new stuff