1. What U2 song do you think has benefitted the most from a guitar change? NYD sounds way better on a LP imho. SBS is way better on a Tele.
  2. Those two have definitely improved with the upgrade to a nicer guitar.

I thought the newest Fernandes he used on WOWY on Vertigo wasn't near as good as the previous models he's had.
    Elevation and Vertigo performances of The Fly sound 10x better than the Zoo TV ones with the Lace Sensor Strat. He gets a lot more depth out of the Les Paul and Line6 models.

I thought when he upgraded to his gold-finish Les Paul for Until the End of the World it was the best thing of all time...although Vertigo performances were weak.

3. New Year's Day belongs on a Les Paul. SBS is good on the Telecaster, but it doesn't have that "Classic" SBS sound like from Rattle And Hum.
  4. Originally posted by easports43 but it doesn't have that "Classic" SBS sound like from Rattle And Hum.

I know what you mean, that really nice chimey echoey sound.....but I think the Strat is too transparent. Listen to the pro-recorded Slane Castle version of Sunday Bloody Sunday, the guitar is amazing.

But then I hear the Red Rocks version and think that the 80s version of SBS was way better.....its a real toss up I think.
  5. I kinda like the guitar he's now using for Streets. The all black guitar instead of the black and white one used on Elevation. It sounds a little more raw and it has a crunch to it. Streets has never sounded better though than it did on the Elevation tour though. That was Streets at its prime I think
  6. Originally posted by AAV711[..]

I know what you mean, that really nice chimey echoey sound.....but I think the Strat is too transparent. Listen to the pro-recorded Slane Castle version of Sunday Bloody Sunday, the guitar is amazing.

But then I hear the Red Rocks version and think that the 80s version of SBS was way better.....its a real toss up I think.

You're right about slane. But, if I had a choice I would still probably prefer the Strat versions. When it's performed on a Telecaster, it doesn't have that "Gritty" or rough sound to it.
  7. To me, the Red Rocks version of Sunday Bloody Sunday is the 'classic' sound for that song and that would be seconded by the Rattle And Hum version; both on Fender Stratocasters.

The white 40th Anniversary Telecaster is a great guitar but the song, for me, sounds a bit sludge-like tuned down to "D" instead of E or E flat. Just my personal preference.

NYD sounds great on the Les Paul or the Stratocaster - to me.
  8. Someone said:

"I kinda like the guitar he's now using for Streets. The all black guitar instead of the black and white one used on Elevation. It sounds a little more raw and it has a crunch to it. Streets has never sounded better though than it did on the Elevation tour though. That was Streets at its prime I think"

FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND
    The all black 1973 Stratocaster, used for Streets on the Vertigo tour IS the SAME one that was black and white during the Elevation tour. The pickguard and pickup caps were changed to all black to mimic his old 1979 "Blackie" from the early years. One give-away? the pickup selector switch still has the white tip instead of a stock black one. SECOND and most importantly, Edge and Dallas have said that guitar is a 1973. The ALL BLACK option didn't appear until the 1975 ender Stratocasters. Hence, chances are... if it is a 1973 -- the pickup covers and pickguard were indeed white and that tends to fall in line with the black and white 1973 Fender Strat used during the Elevation tour.

-- Either way, I will eventually confirm that with Dallas and/or The Edge.
  9. Originally posted by anstratdubh1979Someone said:

-- Either way, I will eventually confirm that with Dallas and/or The Edge.

haha i would give anything to be able to sit down with them for 10 minutes and discuss nothing but Edge's guitars and sounds etc.
  10. Originally posted by anstratdubh1979To me, the Red Rocks version of Sunday Bloody Sunday is the 'classic' sound for that song and that would be seconded by the Rattle And Hum version; both on Fender Stratocasters.

The white 40th Anniversary Telecaster is a great guitar but the song, for me, sounds a bit sludge-like tuned down to "D" instead of E or E flat. Just my personal preference.

NYD sounds great on the Les Paul or the Stratocaster - to me.

I agree about the telecaster. Sunday Bloody Sunday should not be played on the same guitar as Vertigo...
  11. I play guitar but idk what ALL his guitars are called and whatnot. but I DO know that the Fly sounds amazing with the SUPER SHINY guitar that he uses on Love and Peace or Else. But yea Streets SHOULD ALWAYS be on a strat.
  12. Originally posted by Genaro92U2I play guitar but idk what ALL his guitars are called and whatnot. but I DO know that the Fly sounds amazing with the SUPER SHINY guitar that he uses on Love and Peace or Else. But yea Streets SHOULD ALWAYS be on a strat.

I wouldn't mind hearing Streets on an explorer. You know, with the same setup as Beautiful Day. It could be done. Explorers have that light ringing tone or "Bells" as I like to call it. Will never happen though.