1. Well you have to be at these shows to record them, I’ve never been in a financial position to be able to follow the band around city to city, nor would I be able to be away from my daughter that often. I’m much more of a professional appreciator, and a decent editor. I’m much better at improving something than manufacturing it
  2. Originally posted by justinpushplay:[..]
    Well you have to be at these shows to record them, I’ve never been in a financial position to be able to follow the band around city to city, nor would I be able to be away from my daughter that often. I’m much more of a professional appreciator, and a decent editor. I’m much better at improving something than manufacturing it
    Everybody's situation is different. There are many people that just going to a single U2 show is a once in a lifetime experience. Just judging from your profile, you've been fortunate to see them multiple times over the years. Those could have been recorded. Or they could not! Again, everybody's situation is different.

I just find it difficult to swallow when people say "IF I spent all the time effort and money recording shows like [insert taper name], I'd release everything because I'm such a nice guy." One, it feels like empty virtue signaling. Two, it's speaking from a place of ignorance, as you have no idea if your feelings would change if you did invest in the taping hobby.

Imagine speaking to a professional sports player and telling them "If I was getting paid the same salary as LeBron James, I'd make sure I make all my free throws." That feels like a hollow declaration to my ears, but maybe I'm jaded. On any case, there are tons of great recordings out there released for free. Enjoy them for free as the taper intended, and accept its a personal decision to release all, some, or none of their recordings.
  3. True - it's easy to say of I did this then I'd do that

I've been buying/selling/trading though not recording mainly because when I go to a gig I like to concentrate on the performance and enjoy it

Tapers (both audio and video) must keep still, must concentrate, must put up with some drunken or annoying fans around them whooping and screaming right into their mics - that's some dedication right there

Okay with IEMs then you don't get the annoying fan problem but you do get interference and drop outs and static and shit

Tapers are a whole other type from your gig-going fan - you either are a taper or you ain't it's as simple as that

And I can understand tapers not wanting to release stuff because they need something to trade with other like-minded folk

Tapers ain't here JUST to give everyone free stuff

I know when I've bought or downloaded (for free!!!!!!) a bootleg recording of a gig that Ive been to that I'm a very lucky person indeed
  4. I’d much rather complain at the band not releasing enough live stuff (that we’d likely need to pay for) rather than have a go at a taper for not sharing more of their recordings for free. I suppose people can do both but u2 and their team are all millionaires, the decision makers all are anyway and a lot of that is because of fans loyalty. It would be nice to repay that somewhat by giving us more exciting releases more often. It was interesting hearing bono on the recent interview that’s on u2.com talking about fans attending multiple nights because they say each nights a different experience, he actually recognised the point because he himself goes through different thoughts and emotions at each show. Maybe they could use that knowledge and release more shows realising that each show will be a different listening experience as well, just a thought.
  5. Agreed! Wish U2 would release stuff off Nugs like Pearl Jam or Springsteen. Still wouldn't get you soundcheck stuff like the topic title but still move in right direction.
  6. I think the starting point could be doing select shows from different tours which means they can pick out the best and more famous performances. Releasing every show on the next tour would be great but I feel that’s a massive jump from what they’ve been doing so getting some essential shows that haven’t been released yet would be a start and just keep it going adding a handful every year. It doesn’t need to be difficult and like the remasters they’re doing they could even try and capitalise on it from a business point of view and release merchandise relating to the shows.
  7. Originally posted by tuf392664:I think the starting point could be doing select shows from different tours which means they can pick out the best and more famous performances. Releasing every show on the next tour would be great but I feel that’s a massive jump from what they’ve been doing so getting some essential shows that haven’t been released yet would be a start and just keep it going adding a handful every year. It doesn’t need to be difficult and like the remasters they’re doing they could even try and capitalise on it from a business point of view and release merchandise relating to the shows.
    If we're dreaming, might as well dream big! Just model after Springsteen. During the tour, release those shows. During off-season, monthly archival releases.
  8. Originally posted by hoserama:[..]
    If we're dreaming, might as well dream big! Just model after Springsteen. During the tour, release those shows. During off-season, monthly archival releases.
    Good point, in fact if anything your idea is a better starting point for negotiations and maybe we get to my idea after intense discussions with their team . I do love your idea though, would be incredible.