1. Is there any other way to listen to Stay?

Ha, I didn't specify. Best way could be eating pizza lol
  2. I'm not surprised that Stay belongs to Zooropa.
    to me its represents one of their best creative peak.
  3. I don’t seem to have commented about this song on this thread despite mentioning a good few times on other threads that it’s my favourite song. Sometimes everything about a song just sounds and feels right, this is for me the perfect song in many ways. It’s artistic without being too clever, it’s emotional but without drifting into the soppy stuff, it just has a certain mood to it which no other song can replicate and makes me feel a bunch of emotions on a level that no other song can.
  4. It's weird, it's like it both belongs, and doesn't, because it doesn't sound like any other song on the album.

That being said, none of the other songs really sound like one another either. Zooropa was U2 doing whatever the hell they wanted, not really worried about how commercially successful it would be, because the ZooTV campaign was still going full-force. It was a bonus album, one nobody expected or even really needed, and I think that's why it's so damn creative.

That's not to say they weren't still chasing great songs, but I think it was less about chasing hits than it was about seizing the moment with all of the creative energy and writing something interesting and creative rather than chart-topping.

That energy would go on to birth Passengers.

But hey I don't need to give a history lesson to all of you historians
  5. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]
    It's weird, it's like it both belongs, and doesn't, because it doesn't sound like any other song on the album.

That being said, none of the other songs really sound like one another either. Zooropa was U2 doing whatever the hell they wanted, not really worried about how commercially successful it would be, because the ZooTV campaign was still going full-force. It was a bonus album, one nobody expected or even really needed, and I think that's why it's so damn creative.

That's not to say they weren't still chasing great songs, but I think it was less about chasing hits than it was about seizing the moment with all of the creative energy and writing something interesting and creative rather than chart-topping.

That energy would go on to birth Passengers.

But hey I don't need to give a history lesson to all of you historians
    No Zooropa song sounds like any other son on the album

EDIT. Sorry, answered before getting to your second paragraph

EDIT2. I SO wish they approached their next album like this again: "less about chasing hits than it was about seizing the moment with all of the creative energy and writing something interesting and creative rather than chart-topping.
  6. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    No Zooropa song sounds like any other son on the album

EDIT. Sorry, answered before getting to your second paragraph

EDIT2. I SO wish they approached their next album like this again: "less about chasing hits than it was about seizing the moment with all of the creative energy and writing something interesting and creative rather than chart-topping.
    I know

I feel like they just don't have that buzz anymore, where there's so much energy it's just pouring out of them.

Not to mention the fact that they're pretty happy with standard sort of "rock" production. Gone are the days when Edge would be on the hunt for a new piece of gear that would write a song for him, you know?

Book of your Heart hints at something a little different, but I don't really think they have it in them anymore to make a song sound different. They're happy attempting to write good songs that speak for themselves. I'm okay with that, but I'd love to see them work with a more modern producer that pushes them to take their songs in more interesting sonic directions. We haven't had a Mysterious Ways, or even an Elevation in a long time.
  7. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:That's not to say they weren't still chasing great songs, but I think it was less about chasing hits than it was about seizing the moment with all of the creative energy and writing something interesting and creative rather than chart-topping.

Couldn't agree more. I doubt anything like Zooropa or Pop will ever happen again. In the 80's and 90's, nearly every album sounded different from all the others.

I love SOI and (parts of) SOE, but there's no denying that U2 hasn't changed their sound since 2000...

...except maybe for this song, a handful of NLOTH tunes, and Sleep Like A Baby Tonight. But those are the exception, not the rule.
  8. Originally posted by ASortOfDesire:[..]

Couldn't agree more. I doubt anything like Zooropa or Pop will ever happen again. In the 80's and 90's, nearly every album sounded different from all the others.

I love SOI and (parts of) SOE, but there's no denying that U2 hasn't changed their sound since 2000...

[..]

...except maybe for this song, a handful of NLOTH tunes, and Sleep Like A Baby Tonight. But those are the exception, not the rule.
    Definitely.

I maintain that Cedars of Lebanon is the most interesting (sounding - maybe just in general even) song they've released since Pop.

I was kind of heartbroken to find out a lot of the personality of that song is a sample of a Brian Eno tune, but still - they made it their own and it works really damn well. They should do a whole album sampling Eno stuff lol.
  9. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]
    Definitely.

I maintain that Cedars of Lebanon is the most interesting (sounding - maybe just in general even) song they've released since Pop.

I was kind of heartbroken to find out a lot of the personality of that song is a sample of a Brian Eno tune, but still - they made it their own and it works really damn well. They should do a whole album sampling Eno stuff lol.
    I love Cedars of Lebanon! I never knew that detail about its origin. Which Eno song is it based on?