1. We had a minor song discussion about The Fly lately, and I like the idea. I wanna continue with SYCMIOYO(Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own) from How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.

I bought this album when it was released in the end of 2004. I got to know the songs during Christmas, and one song really gave me a sort of 'Christmas-feeling'. This song was SYCMIOYO. The lyrics aren't based on Christmas at all, but still I had this feeling. And everytime I listen to this song I think about the cold December-month and Christmas. Now we're heading for Christmas, I soon thought about SYCMIOYO again.

I think this song is one of the best of the entire album, if not the best for me. I know that there are very different opinions about HTDAAB and the songs, but this song really is strong. Great lyrics, great melody and chorus and even better when played live. I watched the U2 HQ DVD from HTDAAB yesterday where Edge explained how they came up with this song and that it excist for some years now. And the Vocal Couch Mix is great too.

I just want to share my opinion with you folks. What is your opinion about SYCMIOYO??

Greetings,
    MWSAH
  2. The most 'direct''song Bono has ever written about his father. Beautiful song, certainly one of their best over the last years. The 'Can you hear me when I sing?' part gives me goosebumps everytime..
  3. Originally posted by MirrorballBoyThe most 'direct''song Bono has ever written about his father. Beautiful song, certainly one of their best over the last years. The 'Can you hear me when I sing?' part gives me goosebumps everytime..

You're exactly right about this. It's a very honest song, but also very touching. Not a fan of it live though.
  4. Masterpiece. It's weird, Bono had such a bad relation with his father and then he writes masterpiece for him.
  5. Originally posted by YogiMasterpiece. It's weird, Bono had such a bad relation with his father and then he writes masterpiece for him.

I think Bono realised what he missed and that he was wrong when his father passed away. The emotional way he performed Kite and SYCMIOYO shows how deep his grief was.

And it's you when I look in the mirror
    And it's you that makes it hard to let go

6. One of those great U2 songs that builds to a powerful climax (Running to Stand Still comes to mind.) "A house just don't make a home/Don't leave me here alone." Very powerful.
  7. It's a beautiful song and one that many can relate back to their own life. And when the high notes are reached "Can you hear me when I sing?" and "You're the reason I sing, you're the reason why the opera is in me...", especially on the Brooklyn Bridge 2004 film.

On the Alternate Vocals version (not the Unreleased and Rare, one of the films) you can hear the pre-recorded vocals in the background and then Bono sings over the top. Listening to that even now, there is so much emotion and it's so very raw. No editing or mastering, just complete rawness.

I believe this song also relates back to the Slane film. Not sure if has any connection but consider it was written during the ATYCLB sessions (Bono sang a version of it at his father's funeral and would be something very close to what you hear on the Unreleased and Rare tape) and you hear the opera notes belted out just before Where The Streets Have No Name - does this refer to "You're the reason why the opera is in me"? - everyone's heard it before.

Also kind of a start to One Step Closer - "One step closer to knowing...." - he was one step closer to being with his father but he passed away before he could make it happen and unfortunately never progressed into a meaningful relationship. I think. According to an interview with Bono he tells the story...:

“I was talking to Noel Gallagher about my dad, who lost his faith toward the end of his life. And Noel asked, ‘Does he believe in God?’ And I said, ‘I don’t think he knows.’ So Noel went, ‘Well, he’s one step closer to knowing now.’ And I thought, ‘I’m going to write that song…’

To be free of pain is to be dead and it will eventually come for all of us.

Other interpretations I've picked up from listening to it:

"Don't leave me here alone..." - asking maybe either both his parents to come back and not leave him in this world.

"Where are we now? I've still got to let you know..." - he wanted more time with his dad so he could talk to him and tell him more.

"And it's you when I look in the mirror..." - seeing his dad reflected in himself

"Best you can do is to fake it..." - his dad would always make out that he was able to do something but inside it was killing him.
  8. Originally posted by drewhigginsIt's a beautiful song and one that many can relate back to their own life. And when the high notes are reached "Can you hear me when I sing?" and "You're the reason I sing, you're the reason why the opera is in me...", especially on the Brooklyn Bridge 2004 film.

On the Alternate Vocals version (not the Unreleased and Rare, one of the films) you can hear the pre-recorded vocals in the background and then Bono sings over the top. Listening to that even now, there is so much emotion and it's so very raw. No editing or mastering, just complete rawness.

I believe this song also relates back to the Slane film. Not sure if has any connection but consider it was written during the ATYCLB sessions (Bono sang a version of it at his father's funeral and would be something very close to what you hear on the Unreleased and Rare tape) and you hear the opera notes belted out just before Where The Streets Have No Name - does this refer to "You're the reason why the opera is in me"? - everyone's heard it before.

Also kind of a start to One Step Closer - "One step closer to knowing...." - he was one step closer to being with his father but he passed away before he could make it happen and unfortunately never progressed into a meaningful relationship. I think. According to an interview with Bono he tells the story...:

“I was talking to Noel Gallagher about my dad, who lost his faith toward the end of his life. And Noel asked, ‘Does he believe in God?’ And I said, ‘I don’t think he knows.’ So Noel went, ‘Well, he’s one step closer to knowing now.’ And I thought, ‘I’m going to write that song…’

To be free of pain is to be dead and it will eventually come for all of us.

Other interpretations I've picked up from listening to it:

"Don't leave me here alone..." - asking maybe either both his parents to come back and not leave him in this world.

"Where are we now? I've still got to let you know..." - he wanted more time with his dad so he could talk to him and tell him more.

"And it's you when I look in the mirror..." - seeing his dad reflected in himself

"Best you can do is to fake it..." - his dad would always make out that he was able to do something but inside it was killing him.

awesome review!
    thanks Drew!!
  9. I believe this is one of those BIG songs or one of the little BIG songs, as Bono said at BsAs a few seconds before the song started....
    For me, it has a very strong story.... that's because, when ever I hear this song it reminds me of my own Dad. I have said before in some other topics, that my Dad has been diagnosed with cancer almost a year ago, and has had to overcome a series of surgeries... he was raised the Irish way, for his family is Irish, and let me tell ya if there's someone hard as a rock when the times come to express his own feelings and worries, that's my Dad, or at least and happily WAS my Dad.... for nowadays he's far more open and willing, to speak about his fears or worries or illness or whatever... another fact before giving out the cherry of the icecream, is that my Dad can't cry, he's got no tears...

so one of the days after the issue of the cancer came out, and a lot of other BIG family issues came up. We had a very crappy and shitty year on 2006.
    I remember as it happened yesterday to make my Dad sit, I gave him the booklet of the cd, pointed the Lirycs, pushed play: SYCMIOYO and told him, Dad this is for you. So this image of my Dad sitting on the couch and reading and listening to the song.... brings tears to my eyes.... and well, that night, my Dad cried, in his own way... blushing and mumbling... amazing!!
    he said no words when the song ended, he just stood up and gave me the strongest hug ever!!! amazing moment! I'll always have it in my mind and I will allways be thankfull to these 4 Irish lads that gave me the chance to have that moment in my heart...

well, sorry if it's too long... or if it is out of topic... I just felt that since there were a few of personal reviews and feelings about this song I just might as well share mine!!

cheers to all of you!!!
  10. Originally posted by JohnnyVOXXI believe this is one of those BIG songs or one of the little BIG songs, as Bono said at BsAs a few seconds before the song started....
    For me, it has a very strong story.... that's because, when ever I hear this song it reminds me of my own Dad. I have said before in some other topics, that my Dad has been diagnosed with cancer almost a year ago, and has had to overcome a series of surgeries... he was raised the Irish way, for his family is Irish, and let me tell ya if there's someone hard as a rock when the times come to express his own feelings and worries, that's my Dad, or at least and happily WAS my Dad.... for nowadays he's far more open and willing, to speak about his fears or worries or illness or whatever... another fact before giving out the cherry of the icecream, is that my Dad can't cry, he's got no tears...

so one of the days after the issue of the cancer came out, and a lot of other BIG family issues came up. We had a very crappy and shitty year on 2006.
    I remember as it happened yesterday to make my Dad sit, I gave him the booklet of the cd, pointed the Lirycs, pushed play: SYCMIOYO and told him, Dad this is for you. So this image of my Dad sitting on the couch and reading and listening to the song.... brings tears to my eyes.... and well, that night, my Dad cried, in his own way... blushing and mumbling... amazing!!
    he said no words when the song ended, he just stood up and gave me the strongest hug ever!!! amazing moment! I'll always have it in my mind and I will allways be thankfull to these 4 Irish lads that gave me the chance to have that moment in my heart...

well, sorry if it's too long... or if it is out of topic... I just felt that since there were a few of personal reviews and feelings about this song I just might as well share mine!!

cheers to all of you!!!

That's one of the most sincere and touching posts I've ever seen on this board. Don't worry about it being out of topic or too long, it's not.
  11. If that post went on for two pages it'd be worth every second. Beautiful.
  12. Originally posted by MWSAH
    I got to know the songs during Christmas, and one song really gave me a sort of 'Christmas-feeling'. This song was SYCMIOYO. The lyrics aren't based on Christmas at all, but still I had this feeling. And everytime I listen to this song I think about the cold December-month and Christmas. Now we're heading for Christmas, I soon thought about SYCMIOYO again.

Greetings,
    MWSAH

Totally agree with december feel of the song i did the same thing. This is one of the rare occasions in which I love the album version more than the live versions.