1. Originally posted by bonoschild:Always gonna be ZooTV. The chopping down of the JT with their new sound, the alter-egos, the die-hards going, "WTF is this?!?" The band having the balls to open the shows with 6-7 new songs in a row. The Sarajevo link-ups, the contest winners, the pizzas .it was all mad. And Bono's voice with how the band was playing, especially the 92 shows. (...) There's no business like ZooTV business 🤣
    I'm gonna have this tattooed in my left arm or something
  2. It really was the pinnacle of pinnacles. Nothing will ever beat ZooTV, period.

I love many aspects of all U2 tours (before or after ZooTV), but this one's the true winner.

I think on a very basic level, it comes down to the album they were touring: AB is their best record IMO. It's such a strong body of work, all songs are classics and you could argue they would've been alright with playing the whole thing every night, which they almost did, actually! If the encore went Acrobat > UV > WOWY > LIB, no one would've complained. It's that good.
  3. Originally posted by kite29:[..]
    It really was the pinnacle of pinnacles. Nothing will ever beat ZooTV, period.

I love many aspects of all U2 tours (before or after ZooTV), but this one's the true winner.

I think on a very basic level, it comes down to the album they were touring: AB is their best record IMO. It's such a strong body of work, all songs are classics and you could argue they would've been alright with playing the whole thing every night, which they almost did, actually! If the encore went Acrobat > UV > WOWY > LIB, no one would've complained. It's that good.
    You raise a good point. They have never had another tour in which the new material was as good as anything else from the back catalogue. On most U2 tours there’s a lot of filler tracks from the album played which you just know will vanish after the tour.

The only weak track on AB for me is Trying To Throw Your Arms but they played that up wonderfully with the b-stage ramp, the girl from the crowd, the champagne and the video camera outputting to the big screen. The ‘weak’ song became its own set piece.

Wonderful stuff.
  4. Imma change this topic title to Zoo TV appreciation topic Keep it coming guys.

5. Exactly..... Also Bono is far better and passionate singer than any singer of the Beatles.
  6. Originally posted by Papo:Ah, thank you for bringing back those memories. That version of 'Rain' in Rotterdam... very special ending to a very strong show.
    I remember Bono waving for Adam and Larry to come back to join him and Edge.
    What a rainy evening it had been!

I had read a few - negative- reviews from the US leg before, I even had some cassettes, bought at record fairs, the opening Vegas show among them - and didn't expect to much. But that night in Rotterdam proved for me they still 'had it'.

Was that the 1st Rotterdam (18-07) show? I was at the 19-07 show an't remember Rain being played but the crowd loved Edge's Karaoke version of Radar Love
  7. Originally posted by melon51:[..]

Was that the 1st Rotterdam (18-07) show? I was at the 19-07 show an't remember Rain being played but the crowd loved Edge's Karaoke version of Radar Love
    Yes it was at the first (and best 😉 ) night
  8. I only attended the 2nd, so couldn't tell Was the first night used for that 4-song broadcast?
  9. yes and it also had 3 tracks on the Popheart live EP and it was used for the Please video. The 2nd show had the first four songs broadcasted (partially) on MTV. Well, in the end maybe there's not much in between. 2nd night was more joyful with very crisp sound, the first night maybe had more special moments (opening night, the live broadcast, the bridge in Last Night On Earth, long speech before Still Haven't Found, Rain (the song) and rain). For me, in the stadium, the 2nd night was clearly superior.
  10. I was lucky enough (aka I’m OLD) to attend 2 indoor and 2 outdoor Zoo TV shows and 3 PopMart shows, all in the US.

For me Zoo TV is by FAR the more historic/impactful/memorable/better tour and I say that having adored both Pop and PopMart. For many of the reasons already mentioned in this thread, Zoo TV was just miles more incredible - I had never seen anything like it and dare say most concert goers hadn’t either.

The 180 degree turn in the band, the stage and the songs from what U2 had previously done was imo unprecedented. To then also open with 7-8 songs from the brand new album was gutsy as hell and they killed with it because the album was THAT good. Maybe even more incredibly they closed with LIB and an Elvis cover - totally unexpected. Not to mention the B-stage innovation.

PopMart was amazing, but I just don’t think it ever had a chance to surpass what Zoo TV was. Zoo TV was absolute peak U2 imo.
  11. I've seen both tours and as good as they were I felt very disconnected from the band as you are purposely distracted from whats going on musically with all this technology constantly bombarding your vision for most of the gigs.I much prefer a stripped down presentation with the focus mainly on the music (Elevation tour) U2 of all bands don't need all that window dressing I know there are certain expectations at a live gig but they don't go home humming the video.