1. Not really grungy, at all. It suffered from missing instrumentation live. No meat on the track at all.
  2. Paul McG had stated back in the 90's that they had thought about doing a wraparound tour for cities they had played earlier on the tour. I guess with the size and the scope of the 360 tour it only made sense to do it that time around. In hindsight, the back issue saved them.
  3. I didn’t get that impression from it at all. You had Bono on guitar even filling it out a bit more at least. Not like some songs that can sound a bit bare in places.
  4. It misses some stereotypical U2 chiming guitars but it should gain credit for exactly that reason. They type of simply punchy song they should try more often. I concede that the production of the album track makes it sound somewhat muddy but this was somewhat negated by the liver version.
  5. Chimes at the end.

Not a fan of the oh oh ohs in it. Anyway this has veered off a bit.
  6. Same here, the Ooh Ooh Ohh's always put me off a bit (even more live). They should have found a different alternative for that, it would have been killer.
  7. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Same here, the Ooh Ooh Ohh's always put me off a bit (even more live). They should have found a different alternative for that, it would have been killer.
    Oh oh oh ohs are the height of lyrical laziness.
  8. Originally posted by marik:[..]
    since Glastonbury is brought up now, didnt Willie or someone share the original idea for the setlist (that then got changed)

You're right. Here it is, from the diaries of Willie Williams himself:

"Had U2 played Glastonbury in 2010 the set list would have been quite different.

In May of 2010, we spent a week in New York rehearsing the original Glastonbury set.
    My master plan was that U2 would walk onto the stage before dark and play half an hour of the biggest hits from their first incarnation: "Streets," "I Will Follow," "New Year's Day," "Still Haven't Found," "Pride" and "Bad."
    Most of these songs weren't in the 360 show at that time.
    At the end of "Bad," by which time the audience would be lying on the floor unable to believe what they'd just witnessed, the stage would go dark, strange noises would happen and, as if blowing in from some other stage on the other side of the festival, the strains of The Ronnettes' "Be My Baby" would phase in and out.
    At which point, the industrial whine of the extended live intro of "Zoo Station" would kick in, followed by the first half hour of the Zoo TV show, including all the original video visuals playing on a host of video screens which had apparently appeared out of nowhere: "Zoo Station," "The Fly," "Real Thing," "Mysterious Ways" and "One."
    At the end of "One," by which time the audience would be lying on the floor unable to believe what they'd just witnessed, there'd be a chunk of the big rave part of the 360 show: "City Of Blinding Lights," "Vertigo," "I'll Go Crazy" and "Sunday," before rounding out the main set by casually throwing in "Beautiful Day" and "Elevation."

I seriously thought it was my best set list ever and it's what would have happened had U2 played Glasto in 2010.
    However, due to the entirely unforeseen circumstances of the tour postponement, another whole year had to roll around before this could come about.
    As time passed I began to realize that the Glastonbury show as first imagined would never happen, because having got all these great songs rehearsed and ready to play, it seemed unlikely that they'd be left to lie fallow for such a long time.
    By the time we embarked on the third summer of the 360 tour, the desire to keep the 360 show fresh and alive outranked the preservation of a festival set list that perhaps was starting to seem like less of a good idea after all.
    It was now the anniversary year of Achtung Baby, so it suddenly seemed far more logical to open the Glastonbury show with Zoo TV and once Declan Gaffney's extraordinary remix of "Real Thing" had become the opener, it seemed like madness not to open the tour the same way.
    Part of me will always mourn not seeing that original set at Glasto but the benefit to the 360 tour was so enormous that I can see it was a sacrifice to the greater good. It really wasn't a hardship to hear those songs every night rather than just once at Glastonbury!"
  9. They've always been there but they're increasing a lot in the past decade or so...

One only has to put two and two together
  10. Originally posted by Federico_Toni:[..]

You're right. Here it is, from the diaries of Willie Williams himself:

"Had U2 played Glastonbury in 2010 the set list would have been quite different.

In May of 2010, we spent a week in New York rehearsing the original Glastonbury set.
    My master plan was that U2 would walk onto the stage before dark and play half an hour of the biggest hits from their first incarnation: "Streets," "I Will Follow," "New Year's Day," "Still Haven't Found," "Pride" and "Bad."
    Most of these songs weren't in the 360 show at that time.
    At the end of "Bad," by which time the audience would be lying on the floor unable to believe what they'd just witnessed, the stage would go dark, strange noises would happen and, as if blowing in from some other stage on the other side of the festival, the strains of The Ronnettes' "Be My Baby" would phase in and out.
    At which point, the industrial whine of the extended live intro of "Zoo Station" would kick in, followed by the first half hour of the Zoo TV show, including all the original video visuals playing on a host of video screens which had apparently appeared out of nowhere: "Zoo Station," "The Fly," "Real Thing," "Mysterious Ways" and "One."
    At the end of "One," by which time the audience would be lying on the floor unable to believe what they'd just witnessed, there'd be a chunk of the big rave part of the 360 show: "City Of Blinding Lights," "Vertigo," "I'll Go Crazy" and "Sunday," before rounding out the main set by casually throwing in "Beautiful Day" and "Elevation."

I seriously thought it was my best set list ever and it's what would have happened had U2 played Glasto in 2010.
    However, due to the entirely unforeseen circumstances of the tour postponement, another whole year had to roll around before this could come about.
    As time passed I began to realize that the Glastonbury show as first imagined would never happen, because having got all these great songs rehearsed and ready to play, it seemed unlikely that they'd be left to lie fallow for such a long time.
    By the time we embarked on the third summer of the 360 tour, the desire to keep the 360 show fresh and alive outranked the preservation of a festival set list that perhaps was starting to seem like less of a good idea after all.
    It was now the anniversary year of Achtung Baby, so it suddenly seemed far more logical to open the Glastonbury show with Zoo TV and once Declan Gaffney's extraordinary remix of "Real Thing" had become the opener, it seemed like madness not to open the tour the same way.
    Part of me will always mourn not seeing that original set at Glasto but the benefit to the 360 tour was so enormous that I can see it was a sacrifice to the greater good. It really wasn't a hardship to hear those songs every night rather than just once at Glastonbury!"
    01 - Where The Streets Have No Name
    02 - I Will Follow
    03 - New Year's Day
    04 - Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / Stand By Me (snippet)
    05 - Pride (In The Name Of Love)
    06 - Bad / Irish Heartbeat (snippet) / Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (snippet)

I wouldn't imagine a better opening sequence for their first festival appearance in 25 years, to be honest. Quite better than what they actually played a year later!
  11. The amazing thing is that after that stellar opening we would have got the first 5 songs from ZOO TV!
  12. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    They've always been there but they're increasing a lot in the past decade or so...

One only has to put two and two together
    That's the way to stay relevant The oh's in No Line are actually not that bad if you look at some of the others (U2 or non U2).