1. October
  2. I'd have to go for October too, just because I only really listen to the title track; but I think there have been some interesting points about live songs.
    If you look back most tracks off most albums have grown and, generally, improved when played live.

Most of Pop - even by the band's own admission only Gone remained largely unchanged live;
    The tracks that were played on this tour from ATYCLB have all been reinvigorated and are, in my opinion, all the better for it.
    For most of HTDAAB I listen to the live versions more than the album tracks.
    Rattle and Hum is largely live anyway
    Zooropa was written on tour and whilst it has my least favourite song ever (Daddy's Gonna Pay..) has a great raw quality
    Boy and War have both been improved live and do have some weak tracks.

Only Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby have remained largely untouched live (save for extended guitar work and snippets). And by general consensus these are usually considered the two strongest albums.

I guess this all fits with the band always maintaining the place they live is live.....

Dare I say it, any comments?!!
  3. The Unforgettable Fire
  4. POP
    No more!
  5. Originally posted by sdking91I believe War to be the weakest U2 album. I think that the album versions of 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' and '40' are not nearly as complete on the record as they are live. 'Seconds', 'Red Light' and 'surrender' are all really weak tracks. I also find 'New Years Day' to be one of the most overrated U2 songs in the entire catalogue, but that is just my opinion.

I agree. I consider "War" the weakest U2 album, song- and productionwise. The three best things about "War" are the songwriting on "Sunday bloody Sunday" and "40" and the great cover photo. On the other hand, the tekkno- heavy dance- production on "Pop" was well done, just concept- conditioned. Still, it's an experiment that was worked out consequently, no matter if you liked the concept or not. Personally I liked to hear them coming back to a more traditional rock sound on ATYCLB, but I have high respect for the "Pop" experiment. Not so much for "War".

Alex
  6. What Djrlewis said.

I think Pop could have been realized much better. There were many good ideas in it, but it went out too early, as they said many times.
  7. Originally posted by julienmurziWhat Djrlewis said.

I think Pop could have been realized much better. There were many good ideas in it, but it went out too early, as they said many times.

Probably true, but I really love the studio versions of Do You Feel Loved and Wake Up Dead Man for example, last one is so raw. I like Playboy Mansion and Miami too. But POP live was just the best album ever, songs like Mofo, Discotheque, Please, Miami and Last Night On Earth (the solo ) really kicked some asses, they should bring songs like that back to the live-world.
  8. Originally posted by Alex[..]

I agree. I consider "War" the weakest U2 album, song- and productionwise. The three best things about "War" are the songwriting on "Sunday bloody Sunday" and "40" and the great cover photo. On the other hand, the tekkno- heavy dance- production on "Pop" was well done, just concept- conditioned. Still, it's an experiment that was worked out consequently, no matter if you liked the concept or not. Personally I liked to hear them coming back to a more traditional rock sound on ATYCLB, but I have high respect for the "Pop" experiment. Not so much for "War".

Alex

War is indeed not the greatest U2 album ever, I like even October more sometimes. But anytime I can like any album, there are certainly periods when I love the War album. Songs like Surrender, Red Light, Two Hearts Beat As One really are sometimes funny too sing along too. The production on the War album is really different than on all other U2 albums, and there are other instruments used too like saxophones and violins (SBS).
  9. October no doubt.
  10. October,it´s like the second part of Boy. Nothing new or different.