1. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:I'll say it here too:

Noooooooooooooooooo - get out of here Ryan Tedder, we want Andy Barlow.

Everything I've read about Ryan Tedder and U2 working together is U2 basically taking music Ryan's written and using it. He wrote the chorus for Every Breaking Wave (supposedly), his BAND wrote the music for Summer of Love, etc.

I want someone who will go in and make U2 put in the work. Yes I realize they rely HEAVILY on their producers, but still.
    SoL was a great song.
  2. Even better when played live.
  3. And unfortunately tarnished forever for me once I found out they didn’t even write the music for it.
  4. Give me Lanois and Eno plz
  5. I’m sure there are guitar parts etc on Achtung Baby or JT that Brian or Danny wrote. This is no different.
  6. I still think they should do a full album with danger mouse. His tracks were the best on SOI
  7. I like a lot of things Danger Mouse has done, U2 or otherwise.
  8. I think the difference is that Summer of Love existed as a piece of music before even being brought to U2. It wasn't a riff that someone came up with during a U2 session, in trying to make a U2 song better (which is sort of what a producer is there for) - it was a part they came up with during a One Republic session, that Ryan Tedder brought to U2.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure that one studio scene in From The Sky Down basically confirms that Lanois came up with that main guitar part for One (although, he didn't come up with the basic music - the chord structure, etc.), U2 did that themselves.
  9. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]
    I think the difference is that Summer of Love existed as a piece of music before even being brought to U2. It wasn't a riff that someone came up with during a U2 session, in trying to make a U2 song better (which is sort of what a producer is there for) - it was a part they came up with during a One Republic session, that Ryan Tedder brought to U2.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure that one studio scene in From The Sky Down basically confirms that Lanois came up with that main guitar part for One (although, he didn't come up with the basic music - the chord structure, etc.), U2 did that themselves.
    I missed the story behind that one!
  10. Which one?!

Here's the Summer of Love stuff (scroll all the way down and the proceeding pages is the discussion at the time): https://u2start.com/topic/11199/168/12/

I can't find the scene from From the Sky Down I'm referring to online - but it's when they're back in Dublin in the studio and there's a quick scene of Lanois, Eno and Flood jamming to a One backing track, and Lanois is playing that guitar part - and then in the proceeding scene when the band are listening back, Edge says something about Lanois' guitar part - making me think he wrote it, not Edge.

EDIT: Found it, skip to 1:06:30 and keep watching
  11. The Summer Of Love/West Coast (One Republic Demo) doesn’t bother me TOO much as long as it was going to be thrown away by One Republic. It would kind of be a bummer if U2 heard it and asked if they could use it rather than Ryan Tedder basically being like “here’s a demo we were gonna go with, use it if you want.”

It’s a cool little guitar part and the bridge (I’ve been thinking about the west coast) is straight from one republic, but the rest is U2. If Ryan Tedder didn’t bring that idea in, then it would’ve been a 12 song album. But like I said, it’d be pretty lame if U2 straight up asked for the riff/bridge and took that from One Republic.
  12. The guitar is buried in One you can't really hear it that well it's the Keyboard that dominates the song which Eno was playing, however on the alternative version the guitar is very much to the front.