1. I feel like the Australasian visit in general was gonna happen anyway; the band hadn't been to this part of the world for 9 years and the JT30 tour was probably the easiest way to sell tickets (besides I consider it an extra leg of JT17)

What is interesting is if Bono didn't have his medical scare and JT30 never happened (wasn't SoE gonna be released early 2017 and then E+I happen that year or something). In that scenario they'd probs do something a la Springsteen when he toured here in early 2017 (technically part of his 2016 The River tour but not even branded as such - U2 Australasian tour 2018?) and do something of a medley of I+E/E+I songs with the rest being greatest hits (and a couple of rare-ish songs)
  2. Honestly imma go and construct a setlist of that hypothetical tour rn
  3. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    I personally don't think they would have toured JT30/31 if SOE had been released in 2016 like they had originally planned.

Why? Wouldn't they still have had to fulfil a certain amount of tours?
  4. SOI - Sept 2014
    IE tour - May-Dec 2015
    SOE - Nov 2016
    EI tour - May-Dec 2017 (hence no room for JT30)

I bet that was their original plan. But the writing/recording of SOE didn't progress as they expected so they made up some excuse about Trump and decided to tour JT30 in 2017 instead. Easy.

And I don't think they had any plans defined for 2018-2020. Maybe SOA and another tour? Maybe something completely different and out of the "Songs Of..." league? We'll never know.
  5. I always picture some LiveNation corporate lackey giving his bosses and U2’s handlers a power point presentation about how 2017 was the perfect time to mount a stadium tour for the Joshua Tree. Since it was the anniversary, it had to be that year. And they could fill stadiums in places like Indianapolis, Kansas City, Louisville etc with the JT. But for the SOE arena tour, they would have only been able to play 1 night in an arena, and probably not even fully sell out. And then they could always come back with the experience arena tour next year and hit the usual big cities that are guaranteed to sell out (even though a lot of those shows didn’t sell out).
  6. Which also applies for the JT30 tour lol I bet they didn't see that coming.

And yeah I'm sure something very similar to what you describe is what actually happened. "Ok guys, so you don't have a new album, but don't worry, we got the perfect solution for our mutual interests. Listen... "
  7. Didn't Willie Williams say that they had very little time to design and build the stage for Joshua Tree? It was an idea that they came up with in late 2016.
  8. Originally posted by Welsh_Edge:Didn't Willie Williams say that they had very little time to design and build the stage for Joshua Tree? It was an idea that they came up with in late 2016.
  9. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Which also applies for the JT30 tour lol I bet they didn't see that coming.

And yeah I'm sure something very similar to what you describe is what actually happened. "Ok guys, so you don't have a new album, but don't worry, we got the perfect solution for our mutual interests. Listen... "
    In 2018, I went to the 2nd Chicago show, couldn’t make it to the first. The upper level behind the stage was curtained off, meaning they were unable to sell thousands of tickets. My originals seats were in the 100-150 range, but I was able to upgrade to the $300 section because so many of those seats went unsold. We were basically right next to Adam, it was like watching him play in my living room.

I couldn’t believe U2 were unable to fill 2 nights at the United Center!! But I guess that’s what happens when you oversaturate the market. 5 arena shows in 2015, 2 stadium shows in 2017, and 2 arena shows in 2018. Those arena shows weren’t cheap either!!
  10. Originally posted by Welsh_Edge:Didn't Willie Williams say that they had very little time to design and build the stage for Joshua Tree? It was an idea that they came up with in late 2016.
    The details about the stage are on Wikipedia
  11. Originally posted by podiumboy:[..]
    In 2018, I went to the 2nd Chicago show, couldn’t make it to the first. The upper level behind the stage was curtained off, meaning they were unable to sell thousands of tickets. My originals seats were in the 100-150 range, but I was able to upgrade to the $300 section because so many of those seats went unsold. We were basically right next to Adam, it was like watching him play in my living room.

I couldn’t believe U2 were unable to fill 2 nights at the United Center!! But I guess that’s what happens when you oversaturate the market. 5 arena shows in 2015, 2 stadium shows in 2017, and 2 arena shows in 2018. Those arena shows weren’t cheap either!!
    I know, I know. You can find plenty of other examples at the E&I tour - ticket pricing discussions thread.

San Jose was another flagrant example - and they always sold well in California!

12. Originally posted by podiumboy:[..]

Yeah it was fairly shocking how EI went unsold compared to 2015.