1. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:[..]
    Ah, glad you liked my ramblings.

Pop is just such a monster of an album, part of me can’t believe it wasn’t universally hailed as a masterpiece, and part of me can’t believe it worked at all. I wonder so very much what the original 1996 Pop was like...
    Honestly, based on this:

I wouldn't have liked it as much. It seems a lot more rocky and a lot less interesting. Again, not to say Pop isn't "rock", I agree it's definitely not "dance music" lol, but the album that came out is definitely rock put through the lens of something much more interesting. This to me sounds like they were still jamming the songs and hadn't put those cool touches on any of them yet.

But I also know many others think these mixes sound way better than the final product, so who am I to say.

I believe that when U2 say they needed a few more months, they mean to give it the extra polish like the later, "new mixes" had. Like compare Please on the album to Please on the Mexico DVD. The arrangement is a little better, that cool-ass groove section is WAY better, etc. Things like the bridge on Last Night on Earth has always sounded "unfinished" to me, like Bono meant to do that part later and never got to. Or Edge's backing vocals on the Gone chorus. Or the guitar part that's on the live version of Velvet Dress that's not really super present on the album version.

That's what I think they meant, but I could be wrong. Maybe they would've battered it into something less interesting.
  2. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]
    Honestly, based on this:

[YouTube Video]

I wouldn't have liked it as much. It seems a lot more rocky and a lot less interesting. Again, not to say Pop isn't "rock", I agree it's definitely not "dance music" lol, but the album that came out is definitely rock put through the lens of something much more interesting. This to me sounds like they were still jamming the songs and hadn't put those cool touches on any of them yet.

But I also know many others think these mixes sound way better than the final product, so who am I to say.

I believe that when U2 say they needed a few more months, they mean to give it the extra polish like the later, "new mixes" had. Like compare Please on the album to Please on the Mexico DVD. The arrangement is a little better, that cool-ass groove section is WAY better, etc. Things like the bridge on Last Night on Earth has always sounded "unfinished" to me, like Bono meant to do that part later and never got to. Or Edge's backing vocals on the Gone chorus. Or the guitar part that's on the live version of Velvet Dress that's not really super present on the album version.

That's what I think they meant, but I could be wrong. Maybe they would've battered it into something less interesting.
    Last Night On Earth was supposedly written and recorded the last day/night of recording the album. So I think that is the unfinished part. They re-recorded it obviously for the LNOE single which is more like what they were doing live on Popmart. I think the re-recording of Please for its single is more like what they were doing live also.

LNOE is probably my favorite track on POP. It was great live and a song I wish they would bring back. But I don't think it will happen.
  3. Between the album, live versions and new mixes of songs I’d say pop was finished. I didn’t really have too many issues with the album versions, perhaps mofo, please and Miami (still not a fan) were the only songs that were improved by new mixes, live versions but the rest I thought couldn’t be/weren’t improved on. I think outwith Miami and the playboy mansion every other song on the album rates between good and great.
  4. Originally posted by Blue_Room:[..]
    Last Night On Earth was supposedly written and recorded the last day/night of recording the album. So I think that is the unfinished part. They re-recorded it obviously for the LNOE single which is more like what they were doing live on Popmart. I think the re-recording of Please for its single is more like what they were doing live also.

LNOE is probably my favorite track on POP. It was great live and a song I wish they would bring back. But I don't think it will happen.
    Does anyone know where to find the LNOE single online ? The only video of it on youtube has a comment saying it's the album version.

Or is the video clip the single version ?
  5. Originally posted by Sev00:[..]
    Does anyone know where to find the LNOE single online ? The only video of it on youtube has a comment saying it's the album version.

Or is the video clip the single version ?
    I know the video version is a different mix from the album version so probably the video is the same as the single mix.
  6. Originally posted by Blue_Room:[..]

That's crazy if true, crazy awesome.

I agree with you, track is fucking fantastic and it really should come back. I've been saying in the current tour threads, it's as good as Until the End of the World and certainly better than Vertigo and Elevation.
  7. I was always confused with why if god will send his angels was dropped from popmart. I always thought it was good live plus it was a single. That’s a song that needs to be brought back.
  8. Originally posted by Blue_Room:[..]

Supposedly it was the chorus to LNOE that was recorded on the last day. The song existed before this.
  9. Originally posted by POPmart07:I was always confused with why if god will send his angels was dropped from popmart. I always thought it was good live plus it was a single. That’s a song that needs to be brought back.
    I wouldn’t mind it being brought back but I thought the live versions were awful they would need to figure out a way to get it sounding closer to the album version.
  10. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    I wouldn’t mind it being brought back but I thought the live versions were awful they would need to figure out a way to get it sounding closer to the album version.
    I love when live version is improved and sounds different from album... that's one of things Iove on Pop/Popmart...
    Another example is Exit or Hawkmoon etc...
  11. Originally posted by Alvin:[..]
    I love when live version is improved and sounds different from album... that's one of things Iove on Pop/Popmart...
    Another example is Exit or Hawkmoon etc...
    I’m all for little tweaks that can improve the song, I mentioned 3 in a previous post that for me definitely sounded better live in mofo, please and Miami but I thought both If God Will send His Angels and do you feel loved were much better on the album than live. That picking Edge did at the beginning of if god will send his angels just didn’t work for me then when it kicked in it still lacked the punch.
  12. Just out of curiosity how would you guys rank the songs on pop? I love every song on pop but for me it goes
    12. Last night on earth
    11. The playboy mansion
    10. Do you feel loved
    9. Miami
    8. Staring at the sun
    7. Wake up dead man
    6. Discotheque
    5. Gone
    4. If god will send his angels
    3. If you wear that velvet dress
    2. Mofo
    1. Please