1. Most underrated u2 album along with zooropa. Would be cool if the band paid them both more attention.
  2. Super underrated U2 album. It's a real shame the band doesn't embrace it. I am very thankful to have seen them tour the album - the album exploded live.

Gone and Please (all versions of both) are on my all time U2 playlist. Mofo and DYFL always sound good turned up loud.
  3. Velvet dress is a fave of mine
  4. Not even an Instagram of the guys concerning Pop. I really like this album, love it at some points even, why no recognition?

5. Tonight? Why not now?

To confess, I was not a huge fan of this album when it was released..
    Now, it probably the one I listen to second most often after Achtung baby.
  6. I should really listen to Pop a lot more.

I'm aware of the band re-recording some of the songs...did they ever re-record Please to be more like the live version? For me, the live performances (especially the Mexico performance) are right up their with the best stuff the band has done.
  7. Originally posted by cyborgninja117:I should really listen to Pop a lot more.

I'm aware of the band re-recording some of the songs...did they ever re-record Please to be more like the live version? For me, the live performances (especially the Mexico performance) are right up their with the best stuff the band has done.
    The single version of Please is a lot more similar to the live version than the album one is.
  8. Originally posted by wowow:Not even an Instagram of the guys concerning Pop. I really like this album, love it at some points even, why no recognition?
    I understand that Pop brings a lot of bad memories for the band. Album delays, rushed release and the media not getting the irony, half- empty stadiums, rehearsals not working, logistical nightmares with the screen and lemon transportations, not spectacular sales (but still very good), etc.
    But they have to remember it was the album that brought them to Sarajevo, South America and South Africa. It must count something. I think Larry has some final saying on this.
  9. I believe Larry has remarked that Sarajevo was U2's finest hour.
  10. Yes, but he looked miserable in all Pop videos. More miserable than usual.
  11. Here's a compilation of some quotes by the band about Pop. You can see the band is still not very fond of the album

In 2000:
    Larry Mullen Jr: "I remember after the Pop record being so gutted that Staring At The Sun. . . it should have been a f****** huge single but we didn't have time to finish it properly. And I remember having to do interviews, and being asked what the album was about and [does mean dog eyes] I had no. . . f******. . . idea. All I knew was that if we'd had one more month we could have pulled that song through."

2002:
    Mullen: "We did that thing we always tell younger bands not to do. Which is book a tour before the record's finished."

"How about never put out the record 'til you've finished the record," Paul McGuiness notes, wryly.

This was the crux of the problem: U2 had run out of time and were now forced into releasing an incomplete album.

"By the end, it was just becoming a blind panic," Flood remembers. "I felt I'd let the band and myself down. Unfortunately when you're making a record with U2, it's a very high-profile place to make a mistake."

"It was like, Oh my God, this record isn't very good," Mullen confesses. "But that was because of the time constraints. If we'd had an extra month, we'd have been able to do a lot more with some of the songs."

Bono, on U2 by U2
    "We just couldn't get the fun onto the album. The songs weren't good enough. The themes were there. Some of the melodies were there. But it couldn't seem to get airborne."

"Pop is the sound of U2 trying to make an ode to club culture without using the tool sof dance music, which were loops and drum machines and pro-tools."

"Pop never had the chance to be properly finished. It is really the most expensive demo session in the history of music."

"This was really the theme of Pop: big subjects for the basement. But it is not enough to have a good lyric or a great idea. If the tune or the musical location aren't right then you might as well be standing on a soap box at Speakers' Corner."

"So many songs on Pop were almost but not quite there."

"We wanted to make a party record but we came out at the end of the party. The dancing was over and there were a load of broken bottles and young people sleeping under tables and the odd row in the garden between lovers who've imbibed too much."
  12. interesting, seeing it all compiled... and noting that they think it lacks a theme. I can see the theme bright and clear, and to me it worked out perfectly. I love this album to bits, still call it my favourite to this day and it's the favourite underdog of many. fans often complain they take too much time these days. for once they got rushed, and the songs are raw and amazing to me. not polished to the end and beyond.