1. Originally posted by colbourne25[..]what the hell is soooooo good about FLAC files??? you have to be a fool to download probably 800% more just for FLAC files... to me there is no difference what so ever...

On most computer speakers it's near-impossible to tell the difference between lossless and lossy.

If you play a typical 128 or 192 kbps mp3 from U2start in a standard car system, though, you may be able to hear degradation. For instance, the cymbals might sound "warbly" or "washed up" as if they were recorded underwater. Or you may hear what sounds like a filter "swishing" open and closed repeatedly.

Here's a test I recommended in a prior thread...

Take a commercial U2 CD (for instance, I used a real copy of Pop) and a blank CD:
    1. Rip the CD into iTunes (or whatever program you prefer) into a lossy format (mp3 or aac).
    2. Burn the lossy album onto a blank CD.
    3. Take the two into a car and pick a song that starts with a punch (I used Mofo, but Like A Song, SBS, Vertigo work well).
    4. First, play the burned CD. Play for 20-30 seconds and then take it out, keeping the volume where it is.
    5. Finally, play the original CD. Play the same track, the same 20-30 seconds. When I did it, I almost jumped because the original was noticeably louder.
  2. Originally posted by colbourne25[..]

you have to be a fool to download probably 800% more just for FLAC files... to me there is no difference what so ever...

Actually, you must be a fool to not notice the difference between a lossless and a lossy file

3. Originally posted by yeah[..]

Actually, you must be a fool to not notice the difference between a lossless and a lossy file

Okay people, score's 1 - 1 let's everybody play nice here

More importantly, to reference Two Hearts Beat As One, "if we're all fools for U[2]... well, that's something."
  4. Try ripping the 18 Singles version of Window In The Skies at 320kbps MP3 and the single versions at 320Kbps. You notice a difference when "oh can't you seee-eee-eee what love has done, what's it doing to me', then listen to 'I know I hurt you', a lot of difference.

5. thanks again spiral...
  6. Great compilation!!!!! this rocks!!!
  7. Very good compilation